Riviet

HSC
N/A
English is my weakest subject and i dislike it. Enough said. 0.o

Last edited:

Chief2666

El Zorro
HSC
I came up to Adv. English from Stan. English in the yr 11 - yr 12 transaction, I was actually going pretty well at the start of it, I was getting marks of 75% but it slowly crept down throughout the year, and now is down at a pitiful 40% I dont really care how I go in english, I will be extremely happy if I get over 50%, it doesnt matter, I already got accepted into uni, so who cares?? not me

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Chief2666 said:
I came up to Adv. English from Stan. English in the yr 11 - yr 12 transaction, I was actually going pretty well at the start of it, I was getting marks of 75% but it slowly crept down throughout the year, and now is down at a pitiful 40% I dont really care how I go in english, I will be extremely happy if I get over 50%, it doesnt matter, I already got accepted into uni, so who cares?? not me
how did u get into uni?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
English ain't that hard, it's just ridiculously boring, especially if you're doing texts you don't like.
Memorising and regurgitating is not what senior English is about. It's about understanding how particular texts relate to a particular concept as well how that concept shapes the levels of meaning between composers and responders. It's basically all about literature.
Memorising reponses won't get you anywhere unless you are lucky enough to get a suitable question. The way to go is to memorise and understand techniques of each text and when you come across the question, select the techniques relevent to the question, after that begin to formulate a thesis and voila...you have the basic ingredients of a potentially well structured essay, and all you need to do is write your essay in a critically analytical way.

In my opinion, there are many serious flaws in the current English syllabus and it needs to be revised critically. The jargon in the syllabus has gone a bit too far and essential skills are not emphasised enough, thus it makes English in NSW a difficult subject for many. The state performs better in Maths than in English and that's a true fact - that not many people like this literature-based english, but many people like the calculus-based maths.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
English is my weakest subject, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it's just that my maths and sciences are much more elevated, and i would put my english as OK. I used to struggle with english but i have been doing much more reading and writing of anything really, i've also got a book with all the new words i've learnt... helps expand my vocab.

frootloop

HSC
Die English die!!!

English (Advanced):chainsaw:

Muahahahahahaha!!!

So anway... I'm not a fan of English. Can you tell? :rolleyes:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lmao I was a total Anti-English Fan back in 2005 [well its still 2005 rite now! ] But one thing for sure is that, when you start to reach semester 2/Term 3 onwards, you'll find English to be rather entertaining, and much more interesting than other subjects in creativity. Although at most times, you may be frustrated with writing tons and tons of essays, but trust me if you do not write or even prepare for essays in term 1/term 2, you'll be pushing yourself for late-nighters in the Trial HSC exams, or even your end-term exams.

Though, surprisingly, by the time you get to ur trials, you'll find that essays are extremely easy to write, the only thing is, you need to know your texts really well, OR know your notes well; so well that you can say it out while you shower, or laze around in idleness.

A method that I got accustomed to, was to just memorise the quote, several actually which related to your module/area of study, then mould it into your essay, answering the question as well!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
I like English I do. I'm doing 4 units of it. Which proves how much I enjoy it. Truely. I'm not B/S'ing here. I liked Mod C too...Frontline is a cracker.

However.

I JUST DON'T LIKE GETTING CRAPPY MARKS FOR SPEECHES! 15/20 :| FUCK.
Generally i'm a 90% + advanced english student

We were supposed to have a panel of two teachers marking the speeches.
I had one. The Head teacher of english. Just so happens he and my english teacher have a competition about who has better students running...he plays favourites also, so the chick in the year who got the top mark was his little red haired teachers pet on a leash. Disgusting. We all know she's a fraud/drama queen.

I will pull my marks up of course. Doing journeys now...i'll just journey to get some chocolate..chow.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Amazing how this thread has survived almost three years of people complaining about English either loath or love the subject. English is English and is becoming a must have in today’s modern society along with mathematics don’t forget the three stables of education - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
English now is just English Literature. What happened to spelling, grammar, punctuation etc. I remember looking at some old English exam and there were questions like "Describe the use of commas".

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
i love english ! but in my previous year prior to year 11 i abosolutly hated it. thus in the span of three terms i learnt everything that i misssed out from yr 7-10 hehe.

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
i hated english...it was a necessary evil that we all have to do...if only maths was compulsory...

the one thing i hate about english is all these NOTES! they are everywhere! techniques here, a bit of chapter summaries here, quotes here...its an absolute mess! which is is best? who knows? i hated wasting my time to systematically go through ALL my notes and pick out the ones that are most useful...finding that 70% of the stuff i collated from various sources are useless, and many are repititions (obviously) of explanations of same concepts.

but, do try to enjoy it. consider english as a challenge. make the most of ur lessons and ur study time. memorising essays seems like the only way to go, although it goes against the principles of flair and originality...lol...but, alas...it is one of the only ways to go to get band 6 in english.

Path

HSC
i found english alot easier than maths, but probably cause i put in alot more effort into english than maths (i hate maths). English is basically about expressing an idea, backing the idea up with evidence and then explaining the effect of the idea on responders. Each paragraph u write should be relevent, otherwise u don't get the marks u deserve. English isn't that hard, just need to know how to structure the essays correctly and adapt to the question under exam conditions.

jessoratio616

HSC
N/A
I'd be willing to help you edit your English essays. I'm a NJ certified teacher, and I generally charge $25 to edit a 3-5 page paper. Rates are negotiable depending upon the assignment. I'd check your paper for grammatical errors, syntax, fluency, and content. If you're interested, send an email to jessoratio@hotmail.com to schedule arrangements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)