English is whack (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
Currently, my English results look like a sine function. It goes up and down - 20,16,20,14 etc.

Assessments tend to be marked randomly between the teachers. Perhaps subjectivity is the source of the problem.

When the score gets low, the teacher usually comments about a lack of depth, characterisation and understanding even when there seems to be no observable difference to previous, high-scoring texts.

I am very confused about my results at the moment.

Does anyone know how to score consistently in English creatives and essays?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Either ask your teacher for specific feedback, or maybe try sharing some of your work here for independent/constructive feedback and criticism?

andrew12678

HSC
Perhaps subjectivity is the source of the problem.
Definitely true, especially for Year 10 where I presume English teachers do not have much "standardisation" amongst each other and probably just want to get the marking out of the way. However at the same time, in my opinion, a good essay should always receive A-range regardless.

When the score gets low, the teacher usually comments about a lack of depth, characterisation and understanding even when there seems to be no observable difference to previous, high-scoring texts.
Assuming you have answered the question (could be a huge factor if not) and everyone has the same techniques, quotes etc, I would presume there are nuances in the expression, sophistication and detail of analysis. These subtleties probably decide your mark (and then your teacher has to come up with a variable explanation as to why the marks are deducted). To get in favour with the marker early, I recommend developing a very strong thesis that is expressed succinctly and eloquently (whilst also answering the question)

Does anyone know how to score consistently in English creatives and essays?
Have access to quality exemplars so you know what to prepare, tonnes of practice and then answer the question on the day. (sounds easy but this is long endeavour)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also add one thing though - whilst it's easy to blame subjectivity in the markers, the reality is that even in the HSC (and more broadly in life) there will always be subjectivity in assessments. Sure there may be a criteria for scoring and/or some best practice examples, but the reality is there's always going to be that element of variability. That being said, if you can work out what they're looking for criteria-wise at least, you can hopefully start to minimise that component.

Personally I found that going through the HSC in my time with different markers and the end result, I had relatively consistent marks give or take 10%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)