• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English Literacy - Im gonna fail? (2 Viewers)

Zokunu

HSC
Hi, I got a Year 10 Trial School Certificate THIS Monday, and the thing is, I'm having trouble studying Literacy English, for the exam. I tried out those Multiple choice questions and I got 7/20. That is like so bad for me right now:vcross:. I'm in the top class in Year 10 for English,History,Math. and 2nd top in Science. I don't think I deserve to be in the top class for English since I got those marks. The exam is just 2-3 days. I looked at the forums and found notes that will help towards English, but they are just Literacy Terms like Jargon, Satire etc. I mean how is that going to help if I don't understand the some of the words in the text...

In the top class, it's a bludge, it's not just me but others are bludging as well. I don't know how I'm going to get pass other subjects, I couldn't imagine passing the HSC. I'm pretty sure most people in my school are in the same situation right now. Please help?

The exam = ENG,MAT,HIS on Monday. And SCI,GEO on Tuesday.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Could you give an example of what you're having trouble with?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Year 10 english? What is there possibly to study?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi, I got a Year 10 Trial School Certificate THIS Monday, and the thing is, I'm having trouble studying Literacy English, for the exam. I tried out those Multiple choice questions and I got 7/20. That is like so bad for me right now:vcross:. I'm in the top class in Year 10 for English,History,Math. and 2nd top in Science. I don't think I deserve to be in the top class for English since I got those marks. The exam is just 2-3 days. I looked at the forums and found notes that will help towards English, but they are just Literacy Terms like Jargon, Satire etc. I mean how is that going to help if I don't understand the some of the words in the text...

In the top class, it's a bludge, it's not just me but others are bludging as well. I don't know how I'm going to get pass other subjects, I couldn't imagine passing the HSC. I'm pretty sure most people in my school are in the same situation right now. Please help?

Why is your school doing trials for the SC when that credential doesn't exist anymore?

Are these your half-yearly exams?

Zokunu

HSC
Could you give an example of what you're having trouble with?
Understanding the "text".

For example THIS:
Caught in a collision between the modern world of rap, football, street crad, and the oldest living culture on earth, the Australain Aboriginal Culture....

This is just an example, I mean their is a lot more text that I don't really understand.

And yes, it is the Half-Yearly

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
What is it you don't understand about that sentence? It looks basic to me.

Kat92

HSC

Have you tried http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/course/school-certificate/english-literacy/ and gone through the multiple choice reviewing where you went wrong? Plus you don't need to understand every word. However, you need to have an idea of where each technique is applied and what the overall idea of the texts are. Don't feel too bad, at first the multiple choice is hard if you much prefer writing. Just remember practice makes perfect and that the practice exam will help find any errors before the real thing. Don't see your mark as a failure-- see it as room for improvement and be sure afterwards to discuss where you went wrong with a friend or your teacher. Stress less, if you put in the effort you will be sure reap the benefits! Even if you don't get that illustrious 100% rest assured you gave it your best shot. (And essentially that is all that really matters at the end of the day-- there is no point stressing yourself out- as it will just set you up for failure).

Good Luck! I hope that it puts your mind at ease a little :)

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
Yea wasnt the school certificate scrapped?...
I was going to ask the same thing. I find it pointless to do a school certificate trial if there is no school certificate.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I was going to ask the same thing. I find it pointless to do a school certificate trial if there is no school certificate.
This. School Certificate is redundant. Anyways, the best tip I can offer to get better in English is to read a complete variety of books.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Year 10 english? What is there possibly to study?
Hate to admit it, but my thoughts exactly. Just have fun, play games the night before, turn up and take it seriously on the day. You'll be fine, there's plenty of stressing to come in the coming years, don't worry =P

Deliriously

HSC
School cert was scraped
Despite that, you should still always aim high like any exam!

For year 10 English, it is very easy. Know all your literally techniques, text types and focus on your grammar and punctuation in the writing sections.

For comprehension, they will most likely ask you vocab style questions, "what technique is this in line.. etc.." questions and simple comprehension.
Writing section, like i said before, focus on grammar and punctuation and use at least 10 sophisticated words. Vary your sentences and have a clear structure. Eg. in short story; orientation,complication,resolution. They shouldn't mark you on your creativity or on how good or bad your ideas are too much.
Just keep practising!. :)

Levity

HSC
The school cert still exists, just the tests were scrapped. Maybe she is talking about the tests her teachers sets in place of the school cert tests.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It is I'm, not Im as you have in the thread title.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The school cert still exists, just the tests were scrapped. Maybe she is talking about the tests her teachers sets in place of the school cert tests.
The SC does not exist.

Students will not receive any formal credential from the BOS at the end of Year 10 as they have done for the last 40+ years. The school will still send grades to the BOS to be reported on a ROSA if a student leaves school before doing the HSC. Teachers also have to send in grades for Year 11 from this year on for the same purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)