English Paper 2: Dilemma (1 Viewer)

zaefr

HSC
this is my friend's story and his account isnt working, so i'm posting it here on his behalf:

Alright here's what happened in detail:

So I was sick on the 19th of Wednesday unable to do my Paper 2: English - Modules. My head teacher rescheduled the exam to today, Monday 24th.

While I was doing the exam, I wasn't informed that my Paper 2 exam only went for 2 hours. I wish I had read the front of the paper, but unfortunately I didn't. Even though I finished exactly on 2 hours, I started going through my paper WITHOUT being told to stop writing (there was a confusion with the Ancient History exam which went from 9am-12:00pm, while my exam is only meant to be completed from 9am-11:00am). On a further note, my school is also shit in terms of organisation and outlining instructions. The coordinator was meant to inform me exactly that I was meant to finish at 11:00am, but instead, she told me "5 minutes reading time only", chucked the paper at me to do it in the hall and that is all.

So while I was going through my paper for the next half an hour, a girl decided to "dob" on me that I was doing the exam in advance of time. I actually appreciated it at the time in "dobbing" to stop me, but I wish it was half an hour earlier? Now I'm stressing that my paper has the possibility of being cancelled, even though I didn't do anything wrong on purpose.

While the teacher grabbed my paper (there were different teachers at different times swapping) after the epiphany of time, he told me that he'll write on the test paper saying that I went 30 minutes in advance. But I told him that I never knew I was meant to finish at 11:00am, and it wasn't even written on the board... So he was like "mate, it says on the front of the paper" - this is my biggest regret as I stated before and I did agree with him. He then told me "When did you finish?" and I told him "10:55am sir, after that I was waiting". So he told me to just go home, took the paper and walked out of the door with a slight bit of shame on my back.

Right now, I'm contemplating on whether he'll tell the English department or not (he was my Year 10 teacher and he knows me really well, more so academically). But if he did tell them, what would be the possible consequences, and how will I be able to rebuttal against this? Should I be honest about it like above? I don't want my trials to end in misery, and I need the best advice I can get.

Thanks.

P.S. I don't want troll comments e.g. "Harden the fuck up" or "Stfu, stop crying and move on" =).

Edit: The reason why he didn't read the front page was due to exam pressure, where he was quickly signing the form and writing the student number for each writing booklet. Then reading time began straight away.

Also, should he approach his English department or same teacher in the hall?

Last edited:

Xcelz

HSC
um this is a bit of an error from the person involved/ the school's poor organisation.

however, this is the approach I would take:

I was under a high level of stress and pressure when commencing the exam due to being sick the other week/sitting the exam at a later date, this is what led me to skip reading the instructions. However, I also felt that the school would notify me when the exam is over.

a few other tips: state your case honestly, outline the stress which you were under and the time that you actually finished, apologise profusely to whoever needed to.

edit: express a sense of appreciation from the school's perspective and speak to the teachers whom you have a good reputation with on a conversational level, expressing your own foolishness for not reading instructions. then go from there

Last edited:

Xcelz

HSC
also tell them that there was no notification for when the exam finished on the board, otherwise dnt worry too much and just focus on ur other trials for the time being.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
I guess there is a degree of responsibilty expected from students to take the initiative when aware the allocated exam time was incomplete. That being said, you were under an amount of stress that may have impaired your deductive reasoning. BUT, you still had a 30 minute advantage over other students - whethere you were aware of it or not. So I could see them implementing a slight penalty. I guess your only rebuttal is that you were not aware and the supervising teacher essentially failed his/her job.

I would

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
It sux but i doubt theres anything you can do. Regardless of why the fact is you spent two and a half hours on the exam when you should have only had two. Yes the examiners really should have said something but it is also your responsibility to read the instructions carefully, the blame cannot be laid on them. Also the argument that you were stressed and nervous isn't really going to help- its the trial HSC, everyone is stressed and nervous. If they excused all the fuck ups that occur on the basis that the students were nervous the system would never be fair.

Its a harsh way to learn but at least now it will be stuck in your head for when it really counts to always read the instructions

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
It sux but i doubt theres anything you can do. Regardless of why the fact is you spent two and a half hours on the exam when you should have only had two. Yes the examiners really should have said something but it is also your responsibility to read the instructions carefully, the blame cannot be laid on them. Also the argument that you were stressed and nervous isn't really going to help- its the trial HSC, everyone is stressed and nervous. If they excused all the fuck ups that occur on the basis that the students were nervous the system would never be fair.

Its a harsh way to learn but at least now it will be stuck in your head for when it really counts to always read the instructions
But not everyone went over time. It boils down to whether the OP was consciously aware to going over time and utilizing that to refine his essays ( which, by the way, is a privilege, not a lot of students have enough time to proofread.) And well, chances are the OP will never admit to it.

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
I'd say be honest as above and thus prepare an honest argument.

I doubt there is lie that will sound good enough to justify the mistake that has occurred on behalf of both parties involved.

Wait for them to come to you. You never know that teacher may not have told them.
Hope all goes well for you.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
But not everyone went over time. It boils down to whether the OP was consciously aware to going over time and utilizing that to refine his essays ( which, by the way, is a privilege, not a lot of students have enough time to proofread.) And well, chances are the OP will never admit to it.
I think in this case it depends on how sympathetic the school is, if they are nice they'll take has lack of consciousness of the situation into account. Honestly though, if something like this had happened in the HSC (highly unlikely), he'd be screwed, the BoS isn't very sympathetic, they wouldn't care if he was conscious of it or not, only that he went over time when exam rules clearly stipulated 2 hours.

absorber

HSC
A bit of the school's fault, but mostly yours really. However, if you weren't informed of the time and had no way of knowing the time (unlikely) then you might have an argument. Otherwise, I wouldn't blame them for tearing up your paper.

MONKEYjulz

HSC
Been in the HSC game for almost a year and doesn't even know how long a English Paper goes for. Can't blame the school for your own forgetfulness tbh

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ryen just tell him to discuss it with the english department. Theres no other way. arrange the consultation sooner rather than later. Otherwise he's screwed. Personally, you can argue that I wasn't looking at a watch or a clock or something like that so I didn't know when time was up. Normally people rely on the marker saying stop before they actually. Its annoying have to look up again and again, as it distracts your train of thought. The student must be willing to accept the consequences. Its quite possible that 10% may be deducted which somewhat seems fair. I mean, you could write a tonne more on each essay in 30 mins (even if he didn't). Honesty really is the best policy. If the student appears honest AND IS, well I guess things will work out.

Lalala21

HSC
Been in the HSC game for almost a year and doesn't even know how long a English Paper goes for. Can't blame the school for your own forgetfulness tbh
Er fuck face, the trials go for a different amount of time compared to the usual assessment tasks? And who stated that the blame was entirely on the school for forgetfulness? Shit post, mods remove pls.

IMHO, the student is at fault and so are the coordinators. Mainly the coordinators. The student should be given another chance and there shouldn't be any marks deducted.

If I were in your shoes right now, I'd nervously wait. Once the results pop out and marks have been deducted - I'd complain. Have you received replies from any of your teachers so far since you're still doing the trials? If not, it's all forgotten and you'll be fine. I was in a similar position to you a while back, except for a different reason...

Good luck man!

Last edited:

MONKEYjulz

HSC
Er fuck face, the trials go for a different amount of time compared to the usual assessment tasks?
The only reason it's called trials is to imitate the real HSC, and i'm pretty sure the half yearlies was the same exam length time as well. It may very between schools. No need to have a fit..please~

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
Couldn't you just say that you didn't even look up at the time? I believe it is the supervisor's duty to instruct pens down when time is over, so I can't see you being penalised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)