English plagarism? (1 Viewer)

Gkx098

HSC
Just a thought at the back of my mind during the year,
what are the chances of being caught for plagarism in english advanced?
considering they've marked like hundreds of thousands of essays throughout their career as teachers and tutors, what HAVEN'T they seen? everything would seem similar to something else to them
Also, considering theyre paid by the paper now, even if it seemed to be similar, realistically would they go and check..

Gkx098

HSC
also does anyone know if anyone has actually been caught for plagarism and gotten reprimanded in the hsc exams for english..

Cena123

HSC
N/A
lol doubt you would be caught for plagiarism because:
-teachers mark multiple papers
-analysis always varies due to the question on the day even if you have memorised the essay
-so many people use the same quotes and therefore the analysis would be somewhat similar therefore hard to conclusively say that the student has plagiarised.
-there must be a huge coincidence for a maker to remember a piece of analysis from a previous essay! (and say that they even do recall similar parts, how can they penalise you without discrete evidence... i.e. how will the marker find a previous essay that may look like yours? this would be an extremely lengthy and tedious process)
-Plus I know for sure many people memorise other people's essay but have never heard of someone getting caught in the HSC
-plus even like few synonyms interchanged would make your essay easily distinguishable from previous essays

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
People do get caught each year

Also who knows what if they programmed a bot this year as a plagiarism checker :)

Gkx098

HSC
what happens do these people? do they just get 0 or do they like fined

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

Gkx098

HSC
lol this would be the most stupidest idea to do this since they might actually use these as samples to show markers before they start marking. You will definitely get caught from this.
but whats the chance they would remember one from like 2015
i was under the impression that hsc markers are just normal teachers who are assigned essays to mark outside of their school hours

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
i was under the impression that hsc markers are just normal teachers who are assigned essays to mark outside of their school hours
People do get caught each year so there is obviously a system for doing it.

Also as stated before, if they decide to implement a bot to detect plagiarism this year and don't tell any student then you're gone because bots are more advanced now - they can read the word captchas so they can read your writing.

Gkx098

HSC
update: my friend said he copied an essay from one of the work books for our trials... and it was sent to external markers and he didnt get caught, also said he did it for the term exam and didnt get caught

Sp3ctre

HSC
Even with the most obviously plagiarised essays it's still going to be unlikely to be caught, how do you know exactly what the marker is going to remember more distinctly? I don't think we can elaborate any further than that.

Gkx098

HSC
Even with the most obviously plagiarised essays it's still going to be unlikely to be caught, how do you know exactly what the marker is going to remember more distinctly? I don't think we can elaborate any further than that.
thats why i'm wondering how on earth people actually get caught- i've never heard of any stories, plagiarism seems to be unspoken of in english..

sarkar_as

HSC
thats why i'm wondering how on earth people actually get caught- i've never heard of any stories, plagiarism seems to be unspoken of in english..
the chances of plagiarised work being caught is astronomical u'll be fine

Mathew587

HSC
to what extent does smthn need to be plagarised to be considered plagarised?

i've used techniques and analysis from a friend for mod a but ofc it's adapted to the q

Robbie M

HSC
Yeah like i agree the chances of getting caught are really low but are you willing to take the chance of getting a mystery mark ?

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
late reply but if I remember correctly papers get scanned and marked on the computer, I'd assume there would be a system to check if you're blatantly copying things.

Same advise as everyone, best avoid doing it :read:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)