English Skrzynecki (1 Viewer)

qotsaoperations

HSC
Hey Guys, Ive got a few questions on Skrzyneckiso if you can help it will be much appreciated.

Firstly, Referring to Kornelia Woloszczuk

Having only one child/ is like having/ one eye in your head

What does this quote mean? Ive heard a few varying thing, so I am confused. I heard that it signifies the devotion of a mother to a child, and also that she is sceptical/critical of motherhood

And just a general question about Crossing the Red Sea

Are the people positive about their crossing of the equator, because they can leave all the past behind and look forward to a positive future filled with opportunities? OR, are they more negative, like, they will cross the equator (the barrier) but there will still be many obstacles in their way.

The crossing in the red sea question is quite general I know, I was just having difficulties with that endingso any information about it would be great.

Thanks heaps for reading these, and if you can respond with anything related to what I have asked it will be greatly appreciated.

Skunkylicious

on kornelia:
also perhaps that she wnats more than just one child. like having only one child is an abnormality, hence, one eye...
that's just how a few people in my class interpreted it... as well as the devotion thing!

crazylilmonkee

HSC
for kornelia, what i took from that was that having one child was like having one eye in that she felt vulnerable.. one eye -- see less, one child -- they could die, hence she would be left with no children

crossing the red sea -- bit of both, they are sad to leave their home country behind but also optimistic in the way that they can be away from all the sorrow and pain and lead a new life minus all the danger

Antisocial

Having only one child/ is like having/ one eye in your head.

You could think of it this way:
If you interpret it as regret, then it further supports the feeling of sorrow "Kornelia Woloszczuk" gives, as written in the poet's perspective, because the child (to whom the mother is dependant upon) doesn't know how he had disappointed - and he is a liability and a burden that cannot be simply cast away.
Being her only child where did I go wrong?

It all depends on how you interpret it, and provide evidence for support.

It's true the line has been interpreted many ways. Example, to have one eye, or one child, is still better off than having no eyes or no children - rather than thinking of one eye as compared to two eyes.

I'm just regurgitating information learnt in class... :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by qotsaoperations
Having only one child/ is like having/ one eye in your head
skrzynecki did a talk and he told us what it meant. the child was the light of her life, and if anything happened to him, if he was removed from her life she would have no eyes, and therefore would be in darkness. it's not an abnormality, or deformity, it's a good thing, showing he was special and her main focus

Originally posted by qotsaoperations
And just a general question about Crossing the Red Sea

Are the people positive about their crossing of the equator, because they can leave all the past behind and look forward to a positive future filled with opportunities? OR, are they more negative, like, they will cross the equator (the barrier) but there will still be many obstacles in their way.

The crossing in the red sea question is quite general I know, I was just having difficulties with that endingso any information about it would be great.

Thanks heaps for reading these, and if you can respond with anything related to what I have asked it will be greatly appreciated.
i would say they were looking ahead, in anticipation, they realised what obstacles and hard times the future held for them (hence the blood-rimmed horizon). or blood rimmed could also be seen as stained by their past, they were going ahead but their past would still always be there and part of them. but at the same time they are looking ahead to the future, and so therefore i say it's optimistic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)