English Speeches (1 Viewer)

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I'm a bit confused as to what is expected in an English speech. Should it be like a spoken essay or does it require to be more "emotional/persuasive". If so, to what extent should the language and phrases be more conversational?

Kolmias

HSC
i'm a bit confused as to what is expected in an english speech. Should it be like a spoken essay or does it require to be more "emotional/persuasive". If so, to what extent should the language and phrases be more conversational?
why not both?

blackbird_14

HSC
Believe it or not, I actually liked speeches. But here's my few cents of advice
- have an interesting introduction. At least your audience, and your marker, won't go to sleep in the first 10 seconds of your presentation, and they'll take you more seriously than a person who starts with "good morning. Romeo and Juliet was a great play about (insert some reference to question here)"
*one of the stages where it's alright to have colloquial language. Another place: conclusion/some other nice wrap up that links to your intro ideas
- don't start with good morning. You're wasting your time.
- use inflexions when you talk. Again it's more interesting.
- avoid long sentences. Tend to shorter ones,with many connecting sentences between ideas, so that your audience can follow on.
- it's a speech not an essay. Hence, in my opinion, it should be interesting to be read out, so yeah I guess your language can be a little colloquial at times, but overall formal.
* but in saying that, you got to follow that marking guideline, and if they give no marks for presentation, well, ignore the above and write an essay.
^ and another addition, make sure you have enough textual evidence and shit there. I bet I lost that one mark (from 100%) every time because there "wasn't enough" even though it was a perfectly paced 5 minute speech.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Believe it or not, I actually liked speeches. But here's my few cents of advice
- have an interesting introduction. At least your audience, and your marker, won't go to sleep in the first 10 seconds of your presentation, and they'll take you more seriously than a person who starts with "good morning. Romeo and Juliet was a great play about (insert some reference to question here)"
*one of the stages where it's alright to have colloquial language. Another place: conclusion/some other nice wrap up that links to your intro ideas
- don't start with good morning. You're wasting your time.
- use inflexions when you talk. Again it's more interesting.
- avoid long sentences. Tend to shorter ones,with many connecting sentences between ideas, so that your audience can follow on.
- it's a speech not an essay. Hence, in my opinion, it should be interesting to be read out, so yeah I guess your language can be a little colloquial at times, but overall formal.
* but in saying that, you got to follow that marking guideline, and if they give no marks for presentation, well, ignore the above and write an essay.
^ and another addition, make sure you have enough textual evidence and shit there. I bet I lost that one mark (from 100%) every time because there "wasn't enough" even though it was a perfectly paced 5 minute speech.
For us they wanted an essay basically so yeah check your marking guidelines

sourmilk

HSC
Speeches should be a combination of an essay and performance.

Some pro-tips:
> Use inclusive speech: Rhetorical questions, 2nd person anecdotes
> Perhaps some humour to entertain
> Variation in tone: Monotony never helped anybody
> It should be a mix of conversation and high-order words, because English speeches are basically marked on it's content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)