• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English standard marking absurd! (1 Viewer)

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
okay, two weeks ago i got my poem back with the topic DISTINCTIVE voice.
and i got 9/10 for it. missing a mark because i did not fully convey the message of the voice.

In the yearly exam. I had the exact same question. And so, i decided to memorise the poem above but edited it so it included the 'voice'. Came out to me that MY teacher marked this section. and i got a 8/20.

Isn't this abit weird? It was the same poem, same question yet reduced marks. It is because i came first in my class, then she is making harsher marking or something. I have put language, example, effect and how it relates to the voice.
I dont understand.~

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
Subjective marking - thats english for you.
bias you mean? man i always hated english because it was compulsory and that it was really bias. but i proved my point. I showed how one teacher marked it and gave me really high whereas another marked the same thing and gave me really low.

So, now i handed it in to another teacher to see what i did wrong, if there was any. i will improve upon but then very subjective.

Its like a german kid handing thier NARRATIVE to a jewish teacher; and doesnt matter how good it is, you will never get 15/15. ONE REASON MATHS is better 1 + 1 = 2 and never changes. ^^

enoilgam

HSC
I know - english always drove me utterly insane. Just remember you dont have to do it for much longer (finishing paper II of my english HSC paper was the best feeling in the world - stupid subject)

amity

HSC
Probably expecting the same when I get my yearly exam back with my essay where I was told to only change the conclusion and explain my last paragraph abit clearer when I got 18/20 but will probably get like a 10/20

sidb94

HSC
Probably expecting the same when I get my yearly exam back with my essay where I was told to only change the conclusion and explain my last paragraph abit clearer when I got 18/20 but will probably get like a 10/20

aye, if this kinda thing happens do u rekon its best to go complain and say a teacher's earlier point of view was positive, whilst the marking teacher's wasn't OR just cope it and move on ??

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
A poor workman blames his tools.

Never ceases to amaze me how students are so quick to blame their teachers and the subject, rather than try and understand where they went wrong.

theone111

HSC
N/A

Never ceases to amaze me how students are so quick to blame their teachers and the subject, rather than try and understand where they went wrong.
80% of teachers arent intelligent creatures

1. they failed in life (70%)
2. too lazy(29%)
3. genuinely thought teaching was a top profession (1%)

enoilgam

HSC

I agree with this in a sense that a poor teacher is never an excuse for bad marks. But HSC english as a subject is fundamentally flawed, which is why many struggle.

amity

HSC
I'd at least question why and how you got your mark tbh.

anne1010

HSC
my question is why you wrote a poem instead of an essay?

TorMental

HSC
Go to the english co-ordinator, and get it remarked. Thats the only way you can prevent these bs. I got 14/25 for an assessment (Teacher was heaps inconsistent... even the 'lower-tier' students got 21/25, sooo naturally I complained. Got a 22/25).

I could of gotten higher if it was first time round marking, but the pt is, go complain, ask them to justify their reasons etc etc.

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC

i dont see what i did wrong?

it was the same question. so i did the same poem YET i even further improved it. and i got BELOW 50%; which amazes me.
What did i do wrong? how would i even know? they marked it yet they dont even tell what i went wrong. This is the kind of school i go to. Of course, i went over my work checking if i did what i needed for the structure of an essay.

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC

You never heard of subjective marking before? As I clearly stated; Same question. Wrote same essay but improved upon because i got 9/10 for last time.
It is profound that to be able to get 90% for the same essay and BELOW 50% of the same ESSAY clearly SHOCKS me at all levels. ONE OF THE COMMENT was you analyzed the poem very well in such detail; and FOR heaven sake. In the criteria; I got such disorderly marks.

NOT WHINE. BUT FACTS THAT ENGLISH IS IN ALL BIASNESS. 1+1 = 2 . ITS NEVER any different. if it is, then you must hate that person very much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)