English study help (1 Viewer)

donovan

HSC
i'm just wondering if anyone has any good techniques for remembering essays. i have written them out and tried to memorise plans but it doesnt seem to be working. ANY HELP???????????

hobosexual

HSC
donovan said:
i'm just wondering if anyone has any good techniques for remembering essays. i have written them out and tried to memorise plans but it doesnt seem to be working. ANY HELP???????????
I memorise paragraph by paragraph. Seems to work that way for me. After i memorise a few paragraphs i read them all at once. :D

Last edited:

starrysky

HSC
Firstly, this should be in the English forum ... whichever level of English you're doing.

Tip: Don't try remembering whole essays, it's a worthless pursuit for most (EDIT: Except for Tanjin, but she's just too cool for school, that one, as she has indicated in the reply above this one), because if you memorise entire compositions, you end up with them stuck in your head, and consequently you might not be able to answer any question thrown at you.

With that said, remember a generalised thesis on the sort of journey you're studying. Such as "inner journeys are about adadadadada, and involve blah blah blah etc.", so that you can integrate it into an introduction and relate it back to the question, and so forth.

Memorise key points that relate to the kind of journey, rather than paragraphs on a specific topic sentence. Then, with each key point, add a quote, explanation of how the quote ties in with the key point, and how it relates back to the question. It's far, far, far (far far far far) easier to remember simple dot points than entire chunks of information, believe me.

With your essays, memorise the structure; so and so amount of words for intro, so and so amount for the prescribed text, stimulus, and related(s). Then have a firm knowledge of all the general points on your texts and how they're related to the journey(s), so that way you won't get thrown off, and you'll be able to adapt your argument(s)/topic sentences/points/whatever to the question.

hobosexual

HSC
starrysky said:
Firstly, this should be in the English forum ... whichever level of English you're doing.

Tip: Don't try remembering whole essays, it's a worthless pursuit for most (EDIT: Except for Tanjin, but she's just too cool for school, that one, as she has indicated in the reply above this one), because if you memorise entire compositions, you end up with them stuck in your head, and consequently you might not be able to answer any question thrown at you.

With that said, remember a generalised thesis on the sort of journey you're studying. Such as "inner journeys are about adadadadada, and involve blah blah blah etc.", so that you can integrate it into an introduction and relate it back to the question, and so forth.

Memorise key points that relate to the kind of journey, rather than paragraphs on a specific topic sentence. Then, with each key point, add a quote, explanation of how the quote ties in with the key point, and how it relates back to the question. It's far, far, far (far far far far) easier to remember simple dot points than entire chunks of information, believe me.

With your essays, memorise the structure; so and so amount of words for intro, so and so amount for the prescribed text, stimulus, and related(s). Then have a firm knowledge of all the general points on your texts and how they're related to the journey(s), so that way you won't get thrown off, and you'll be able to adapt your argument(s)/topic sentences/points/whatever to the question.
Really good points Xuan, but i suck at remembering dot points! I tried that for frontline and lol i fucked up. The essays, which i did memorise - everything besides frontline, i did extremely well in (18/20 +) and i was pretty sure that i hadnt answered the king lear question properly but yeah. I guess it depends on the person.

Experiment with all options and see which works the best for you. :D

Azaan

HSC
paragraph per paragraph and ur main key point for ur thesis, by god this works even if the question is fken retarded which it always is, u still able to modify ur paragraphs n remember ur key points

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)