• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English, transformations, Shakespeare in love and rome and juilet help (1 Viewer)

dj hides

HSC
read my easy tell me what you think

i have done most of it, if anyone wants to read over it can give me some pointers or tips it would be great

hey im in year 11 and for our half yearly assessment task we have to:

"Students are to adopt the role of an actor who is currently involved in playing the same or similar character
part in two different productions, one of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet and the other in the film
Shakespeare in Love.

In a monologue the actor needs to convey an understanding of the transformation of one text to another in
terms of:
• Characterisation
• Themes
• Context
• One or two key techniques (e.g. acting style, theatrical conventions, language)

Students should consider original ideas for their monologues:
�* A telephone conversation
�* Rehearsing your lines and then reflecting on their meaning

Try to avoid situations which involve you sitting down- writing a letter/email. There should be movement to fully
express your understanding of the character.

Your presentation will take between 4-5 minutes. Each student is required to submit the full text of their
performance on the due date. Staple the attached sheet to the front of your script after completing the required
details on the top of this form and in the student evaluation. "

i have choose to do the nurse in both performances (Imelda Stanton),
i have chosen to set it out like a radio interview.

would you guys and gals be able to help me with some information and tips that will help, in particular the relation ship of viola and her nurse in Shakespeare in love?

any help would be appreciated

Actor Imelda Stanton

Hey every one I am the actress “Imelda Stanton”, you may remember from such films as “harry potter and the order of the phoenix as well as 12th night”, but more recently I am acting as the nurse in Shakespeare in love. Where I play the role of violas nurse, and I am also playing the role of Juliet’s nurse in Romeo and Juliet, the theater production.

Question; would you be able to tell us about each of the roles of each nurse and how their character varies?

I most certainly could, first ill start by telling you about the nurse in each of the productions. In the play I’m currently acting in.
the Nurse is first introduced to the play in Act I Scene 3. It is in this scene we can gather her background information.
She is a trusted family servant to Lord Capulet in Verona and she maintains an active voice in their family affairs.
Lady Capulet involves the Nurse in her discussion with Juliet about her possible marriage to Paris.
The Nurse has been with the Capulet family for at least fourteen years, the entirety of Juliet's life.
The Nurse had a daughter, Susan, born on the same exact day as Juliet. Susan died, and since her death the Nurse has taken care of Juliet and become more like a mother to her than Lady Capulet.
The Nurse was actually Juliet's wet nurse, and it is proven that a bond between a baby and one who feeds it is very strong.
The Nurse uses many terms of endearment; when calling on Juliet in act 1, scene 3, she says: "What, lamb? What ladybird?" When Juliet speaks to her mother she speaks very formally, calling her "madam." The conversation between Juliet and her mother is stilted and proper, whereas the Nurse is very open with her opinions, advice, and feelings with Juliet. When talking about Paris, she talks like a schoolgirl gossiping about Paris' looks: "A man, young lady! Lady, such a man as all the world--why, he's a man of wax." She is constantly chattering, making bawdy comments, and putting in her two cents, casting a light-hearted and easy spirit over the play's tragic themes.

In Shakespeare in love the nurse is introduced in chapter 6, she is ultimately the same character as in the play. But not quite, her character is a lot more prude and conservative.
the nurse takes care of Viola and comforts her when she is sad
- she seems to love Viola and she wants her best
- she is always at Viola’s side except when she is with Shakespeare, the relationship between Viola and the nurse is very intimate on a number of occasions Viola talks to her about her dreams and about love, she also tells the nurse everything there is to know about her love life and the problems she encounters with it. Perhaps the relationship between Viola and the nurse is closer than the relationship between Viola and her mother, the nurse is very loyal and protects and helps Viola so that she isn’t caught by Wessex or her parents while she is involved in the theatre or still wearing a moustache and goatee, although she doesn’t seem to agree to Viola’s new ideas of theatre, she supports her never the less. threw out the movie. The nurse has saved viola numerous times, she covered up that viola and Shakespeare where making love, she did this rocking her rocking chair in rhythm with the sound of the creaking bed. i think the nurse can relate to viola because perhaps she herself once had a dream like Viola which didn’t become true so that she had to be a nurse(as she said to viola when she’s was telling her about all you need love, then the nurse interrupts “and if it doesn’t work you can be a nurse”) the relationship between Viola and the nurse is more like a relationship between mother and daughter or between friends rather than a relationship between a worker and her employer’s daughter

are there any scenes which are the same or similar in both productions?

Yes there are a couple of them would be the bedroom scene which is an imitation of the bedroom scene in Romeo and Juliet, but note how in Shakespeare in love the seriousness of their lovemaking is played against the nurse's nervousness beyond the door: the same scene develops an exquisite intimacy and comic relief, as is more appropriate for a comedy. Note too, that Will's departure is unlike Romeo's: the latter must leave under penalty of death, whereas Viola pushes Will out of bed because he hasn't written the scene they are to practice that day. As his muse, she is stern and demanding, will even forego her own pleasure if it hurts the success of the play.

Another would be the balcony scene where in “Romeo and Juliet” traditionally Romeo climbs the wall of Juliet’s balcony and they meet, express there love of each other then start to kiss but in Shakespeare in love they make a joke of this, when shake spear starts to climb the wall and once at the top instead of seeing viola he comes face to face with the nurse and they both scream.

Another would be we the nurse and Juliet are discussing Paris the nurse talks about him if she was a school girl but in Shakespeare in love the nurse and viola are discussing who they liked the best out of the play when the nurse states that that lord wesex was checking viola out ironically viola was interested in Shakespeare, viola replies “all the men at court are with out poetry and if they me they see my fathers fortune.” Then goes on to say that she will have love in her life referring to Shakespeare

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)