• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

English (1 Viewer)

Do you like English?

• Yes

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Cant Stand It

Votes: 28 35.0%

• Total voters

Scanorama

HSC
dani_danoz said:
No, as in don't like it, but can stand it.

As for me, I can't stand english. It doesn't examine english. It examines crap.
It examines how well you can bullshit in 4 hours under exam conditions.

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
I absolutely love english...its one of the best subject....why? bcoz in english you are NOT confined to the syllabus-endorsed interpretations (like you would be in Economics or IPT) but it allows you to exlpore YOUR views to certain issues and the freedom to express them...

phatic

HSC
If we were given better texts English would be great, as opposed to being good. Gwen Harwood is second rate. What's wrong with Eliot? You could analyse his work for days and it would still be elusive. Not that anyone would analyse it for days...

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
phatic said:
If we were given better texts English would be great, as opposed to being good. Gwen Harwood is second rate. What's wrong with Eliot? You could analyse his work for days and it would still be elusive. Not that anyone would analyse it for days...
which Eliot are you referring to the poet or the author? I like the poet. The author is OK.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
dani_danoz said:
No, as in don't like it, but can stand it.
in that case, if there is a 'no' and an 'absolutely no', then why not have an 'absolutely yes' instead of simpy 'yes'? i'm sure someone would vote for 'absolutely yes', and right now, it's probably affecting the results just a tad

S

Sheehan :)

yey i bought to a tie........go english..........im counting on it 4 a good UAI enough to base 4 units on it......

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
"but it allows you to exlpore YOUR views to certain issues and the freedom to express them..."

Mz Purfect...ur an english teacher arnt you....man, english doesnt teach me to explore my views....all it does is teaches me how i agree to all the garbage that i here. Maybe ill have to use this, on my future boss who know....If i want to express my views, it will be done...eng doesnt teach me any of this!

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
Ace-Of-Spades said:
"but it allows you to exlpore YOUR views to certain issues and the freedom to express them..."

Mz Purfect...ur an english teacher arnt you....man, english doesnt teach me to explore my views....all it does is teaches me how i agree to all the garbage that i here. Maybe ill have to use this, on my future boss who know....If i want to express my views, it will be done...eng doesnt teach me any of this!
No Ace of Spades Im NOT an english teacher, in fact english is not even my mother tongue! But all i can say is this. Personally I've realised that every author composes to present a point of veiw on an issue that concerns them. Now if you are a sensitive person, which I definitely am, as soon as you can identify what issue is explored in a novel/film then you can easily form your opinion about it and subsequently you will even like the subject.

For instance when I read Othello the issue of justice was very appealing for me and I could easily talk about it. In the HSC, writing an essay on BNW and BR was aslo exciting as I hated both those promiscous worlds and our bleak future they depicted. If you read Antony and Cleopatra in Powerplay you will instantly realise the behind-the-scene politics of today! Now you may hate Shakespeare but if you really think about the issues he deals with, you will certainly realise that literature and English is a subject that is not detached from the harsh reality of our world. It just shows another facet of reality. In Economics, on the other hand, you definitely cannot bring your passion in an essay concerning the current stances of macro policy in Aus.

Btw...thats just how I feel about this subject.
Cheers :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Oh, I agree. It certainly isn't the English that used to be taught in schools; that was proper English. However, for what it is - and I don't think we'll be getting the real thing back any time soon - it is good enough.
yeah, english is more a mash of cultural studies than anything more nowadays.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
mz_purfect said:
No Ace of Spades Im NOT an english teacher, in fact english is not even my mother tongue! But all i can say is this. Personally I've realised that every author composes to present a point of veiw on an issue that concerns them. Now if you are a sensitive person, which I definitely am, as soon as you can identify what issue is explored in a novel/film then you can easily form your opinion about it and subsequently you will even like the subject.

For instance when I read Othello the issue of justice was very appealing for me and I could easily talk about it. In the HSC, writing an essay on BNW and BR was aslo exciting as I hated both those promiscous worlds and our bleak future they depicted. If you read Antony and Cleopatra in Powerplay you will instantly realise the behind-the-scene politics of today! Now you may hate Shakespeare but if you really think about the issues he deals with, you will certainly realise that literature and English is a subject that is not detached from the harsh reality of our world. It just shows another facet of reality. In Economics, on the other hand, you definitely cannot bring your passion in an essay concerning the current stances of macro policy in Aus.

Btw...thats just how I feel about this subject.
Cheers :)
thanks 4 sharing ur views mz perfect! :D

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
Hmmm, ur opinion
For me english is just some other pointless thing that is trying to pull me down in the HSC........"In Economics, on the other hand, you definitely cannot bring your passion in an essay concerning the current stances of macro policy in Aus. "
'your passion in an essay'
I dont have a passion for writing essays, i think they are a waste of time....
Also, with subject such as Eco, u will learn info that is used in the profession, whereas english is just lies...or atleast everything i have written is...
You say, we can express our opinions, every time i have had an assignment (eg: doing an essay) the teacher tells us what side to take....what opinion is that!

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
bloodysunday said:
english is the worst subject ever. thank god i dont have to do it anymore.
aww iv still got a year of it
finish HSC this year :(

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
HSC
Ace-Of-Spades said:
Hmmm, ur opinion
For me english is just some other pointless thing that is trying to pull me down in the HSC........"In Economics, on the other hand, you definitely cannot bring your passion in an essay concerning the current stances of macro policy in Aus. "
'your passion in an essay'
I dont have a passion for writing essays, i think they are a waste of time....
Also, with subject such as Eco, u will learn info that is used in the profession, whereas english is just lies...or atleast everything i have written is...
You say, we can express our opinions, every time i have had an assignment (eg: doing an essay) the teacher tells us what side to take....what opinion is that!
Personally I liked writing English essays more so than Eco ones. As for your point about Economics being useful well I definitely agree with that. Btw Eco was my second fave subject :) Of course English is a lie because the whole concept of literature is fiction (well primarily, anyways). But like I said in my prev post, literature deals with issues that concern humanity and I find that aspect of English interesting. But then again, I think everyone is different. Ace of Spades obviously English is not something you naturally find interesting. For me its otherwise. I wish all the 05ers well in their HSC and I hope that they all achieve good marks in English (becasue lets just face it, after this one year, you will never have to analyse texts that you will probably never bother to read again! so just give it your best shot :))

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
I love English :D it's a fun subject at school...

Of course, it's one of those subjects which depends on the teacher you have and what texts you do. So if either is bad, chances are, you will hate it. For example, in year seven, I loathed English because we were forced to do "The Chrysalids" which I believe has mentally scarred me.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Whaaat?! What do you have against The Chrysalids?

Scanorama

HSC
English is the subject which dragged my mark down. My teacher was a fucker though. He doesnt teach at all, apart from copy and paste something from other study guides and read straight from it, word by word. Oh he always praise the United States of Amercia ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)