English!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I put the burger theory down to Normo atmosphere. They're way too cheerful and humerous over there. I vote that Eagles takes us out for dinner!

I also didn't put a great deal of work into adv eng until a few weeks prior to the HSC (did some good stuff earlier in the year for EE1, though). Even though I *still* don't understand Hamlet, I can write a convincing band 5/6 HSC-level essay for it ;) Nice improvement from my semi-memorised 6/15 Trials essay.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
silvermoon said:
damn it eagles, glitterfairy, you're making my mouth water! *stomach rumbles* need.burger.now. eagles --> did you come up with this burger metaphor yourself or were you taught it? we always had 'essay man' stuffed down our throats as a quick essay structure. personally, i hate them, so restrictive!
Hahahaha, nope, my tutor/friend taught it to me. (a thousand thanks Jerry!!)

glitterfairy said:
I put the burger theory down to Normo atmosphere. They're way too cheerful and humerous over there. I vote that Eagles takes us out for dinner!
Funny you mentioned that! I just got these hungry jacks vouchers in the mail today, wanna share?:cool:

glitterfairy said:
I also didn't put a great deal of work into adv eng until a few weeks prior to the HSC (did some good stuff earlier in the year for EE1, though). Even though I *still* don't understand Hamlet, I can write a convincing band 5/6 HSC-level essay for it Nice improvement from my semi-memorised 6/15 Trials essay.
omgomg.. same same.. I owed it to a wake up call after I got my results (7/20:eek:) for year 11 my half yearly.

Great improvement I've made since that horrible mark, if I do say so myself.:D

HSC
N/A
Eagles said:
Funny you mentioned that! I just got these hungry jacks vouchers in the mail today, wanna share?:cool:

omgomg.. same same.. I owed it to a wake up call after I got my results (7/20:eek:) for year 11 my half yearly.

Great improvement I've made since that horrible mark, if I do say so myself.:D
Oh oh oh burgers yum yum yum *cute face*

I got a glorious "No mark: Please come and see me [teacher] because this essay is very confused and would get less than 6/15" in year 11. Got an actual 6/15 in my HSC year for Eng Adv ;) By a funny token, I got a 50/50 for my EE1 trials at the same time. *whistles*

Essay technique and style can really save your butt. I got my content up for Hamlet for my HSC, but I still really think it was my essay style that got me the (low) Band 6... I was doing great in modules B and C, but ahhh.... me no likes Hamlet, Hamlet no likes me. But I can make it look like we're friends :D

ishq

brown?
HSC
I <3 Hamlet!
Its Frontline I have issues with.
Damn the truth. Kick it and punch it and squish it and put it in a burgur with too much barbecue sauce and eat it. It'll be a journey to remember.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
hahahaha, yes. i luv it. i didnt do hamlet - did lear in mod B for our shakespeare - but im one of those freaks who like shakespeare so i probably wouldn't have minded it. but frontline! *shuddes* i still have nightmares about it.....what a crap module that was! waaaaaaaay too many things to talk about and none of them any good. *burns Frontline* lets sacrifice it to the great burger gods

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Am I the only one here who actually enjoyed frontline and module C in general???

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
You're not alone, lol, but my confession is even worse...in retrospect I think I enjoyed doing all of the Advanced modules last year:eek: Doing AOS was torture though...it was as bad as watching "Glitter" the movie in eternal reruns while someone sands off your scalp. *shudders*

HSC
N/A
I quite enjoyed Module C, however I studied Birthday Letters as my prescribed text. In The Skin of a Lion for Module B was also nice.

I had major issues with Journeys as well... ranged from "oh my god, I love this it's so easy" to "oh my god, this module has no depth and such shallow integrity, I hate it" and so forth.

nwatts

HSC
I find that you can add depth to the journeys module if you pick the right texts. I hated it until I found a few texts I was comfortable with. Now i'm fine. It's easy to work in the same level of complex discussion as found in module C if you pick the right texts. Freaking Sally Morgan doesn't help it much though...

Oh, and In the Skin of a Lion is such a fantastic novel. Why oh why we did Harwood instead I'll never imagine.

Skitzo

HSC
"What are you people doing to prepare for HSC exams?"

Contemplating suicide :)

HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
I find that you can add depth to the journeys module if you pick the right texts. I hated it until I found a few texts I was comfortable with. Now i'm fine. It's easy to work in the same level of complex discussion as found in module C if you pick the right texts. Freaking Sally Morgan doesn't help it much though...

Oh, and In the Skin of a Lion is such a fantastic novel. Why oh why we did Harwood instead I'll never imagine.
That's the thing... I didn't choose a "good" text for journeys. I picked an easy one... my bad. Although it did make Journeys less stressful. And yes, Sally Morgan as an HSC text is questionable. I understand why it's in the text list though...

Skitzo, just stay calm. The HSC itself isn't too bad, but the hype and stress and pressure around it can suck if you let it get to you. Don't let it get to you! Stay strong! It's almost over!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
glitterfairy: a person giving themselves the name "skitzo" was born to be a nervous wreak. i wouldn't associate calmness with that title. that said...a few nerves are good skitzo, much better than over-confidence, or my downfall, not caring enough to put the effort into getting a good mark. so, yeah, nerves are good, just try to keep the panic in proportion. save the suicide for uni - we shall all need it here before the end.

rachael230

ah, yes. the "back in the day all was easy, now its so hard line". my sisters have been giving it to me forever.

from
"shut up rachael! im studying for my hsc, that so much harder than whatever you're doing!"
to
"rachael, every uni exam is like the hsc a thousand times over"
to
"my god, to think i found uni hard! surviving in advertising is killing me!"

no im not exaggerating. yes, having my stress belittled shits me. even if uni is hard, so is the pressure associated with the hsc.

and yes, my rant is now over

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Dreamerish*~ said:
I'm not great at English myself, but I'll post anyway. :D

To save you a bit of trouble and memory, you should memorise main points of each paragraph instead of the entire thing, word by word. Some people are used to it and if that gets them full marks, it's fine. But I always found it to be too time consuming.
I agree with that. I know my memory isn't that good so I can't memorise everything but as long as you remember all the major points (and can make up the stuff in between) then you'll be set. It's also alot easier to adapt to the Q if you only memorise points not words.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
rachael230 said:
ah, yes. the "back in the day all was easy, now its so hard line". my sisters have been giving it to me forever.

from
"shut up rachael! im studying for my hsc, that so much harder than whatever you're doing!"
to
"rachael, every uni exam is like the hsc a thousand times over"
to
"my god, to think i found uni hard! surviving in advertising is killing me!"

no im not exaggerating. yes, having my stress belittled shits me. even if uni is hard, so is the pressure associated with the hsc.

and yes, my rant is now over
heh, no-one said you couldn't be stressed. In fact, a little stress is good, it makes you perform better.
All i said was leave the drama-queen-contemplating-suicide antics for uni :p

man_p

HSC
hello ppl........

the whole idea isn't to write a practice essay based on a question and memorise....

you should write and essay with content matching the syllabus....leaving the intro and conclusion open....

then MEMORISE your heart out...

it worked for ME...sadly in other subjects... not as well in english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)