• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

enrolling in math1131 after having done math1011 (1 Viewer)

venom

1.5th year uni student
HSC
myUNSW keeps on saying
Error:Requirements not met for class, student not enrolled
is it because I've done math1011?
Surely you don't have to do math1131 (XOR) math1011. It even says in the handbook entry math1011 can be taken for students who want to do math1131 but dont have sufficient maths background. can someone help?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Strange...the handbook says 1011 and 1131 exclude each other, but like you said the handbook also says 1011 can be take as a prep course to 1131. You call or email the school of maths to get this cleared up. If you find out please post the answer here...

venom

1.5th year uni student
HSC
I've just email David Tacon. Just to clarify, if you have in the course info

Course A
Excluded: Course B

this means
if you've passed Course B, then you can't do Course A
but not neccessarily the converse, unless it says so in the description of Course B.
Is that right?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No... If Course A excludes Course B, then Course B will also exclude Course A.

If this is not correct, can't people just get around the system and do Course B first, then do Course A? What is the point of the exclusion then?

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Hmmm.... I passed MATH1151 in semester 1, 2005, but only just. I am ditching my current degree and starting a new one in 2006, which includes a maths major, but I want to do 1131 even though I've got exemptions from it from 1151. Am I allowed to do that?

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
BillyMak said:
Hmmm.... I passed MATH1151 in semester 1, 2005, but only just. I am ditching my current degree and starting a new one in 2006, which includes a maths major, but I want to do 1131 even though I've got exemptions from it from 1151. Am I allowed to do that?
Not sure, but I know a few people who took 2 math subjects which suppose to exclude each other together in the same session. Once the lecturers found out, they were told to drop one since one won't count. Maybe you can take it, it will just mean that you won't get the extra credit which goes to the completion of your degree, i.e you are doing it as an non-award for extra knowledge or what ever.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I don't understand.... Surely if someone passed a course, but wasn't happy with their result, they would be allowed to take the course again to obtain a higher mark to have on their academic record?

I know 1131 doesn't get exemptions from 1151, but 1151 gets exemptions from 1131. Just seems a little weird that someone wouldn't be allowed to do a course, based solely on the reason that they already completed a similar course.

Edit: Just looked it up and 1131 does get exemptions from 1151, but 1151 covers a bit extra and is generally harder.

Last edited:

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Yeah, like I said I'm not sure. You should email them and find out.

Yes math1151 is much more work and little scaling, if I can go back in time, I would have done 1131 or 1141 instead of 1151.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
MATH1151 has heaps of scaling. Just that everyone stuffs up.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
BillyMak said:
No you can't, once you pass a course you can never take it again, why would you want to, it's a waste of time and money. This includes if one excludes another. Move on and do MATH1231 if you haven't already.

MAICHI said:
Yes math1151 is much more work and little scaling
What are you on about, MATH1151 has massive scaling!

ace

is retired
HSC
Why would you want to do an easier version of a harder version you've alreadly passed.

If your desperate for "revision" just buy/use your old course pack and learn from that. No need to redo something, (considering you passed) :)

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
redslert said:
What are you on about, MATH1151 has massive scaling!
Really? I don't know, maybe it has massive scaling for tailenders, but if you already got a pretty high raw mark I think the scaling is negligible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not inferring that you are a tailender or anything. Because the scaling I experienced is negligible, and this is after I confirmed my raw mark with the lecturer.

Top mark this session for UNSW's top math class, math1251 is 97, not that high I reckon for a group of HSC students who caned 3/4U. I swear I saw a few 99s or high 90s posted on the Usyd forum for first year math. Maybe they have many math geniuses there, can't rule that out.

gman03

HSC
BillyMak said:
Surely if someone passed a course, but wasn't happy with their result, they would be allowed to take the course again to obtain a higher mark to have on their academic record?
Doesn't apply to some degree, like Elec Eng where they take your first result.

ace

is retired
HSC
gman03 said:
Doesn't apply to some degree, like Elec Eng where they take your first result.
I'll go out here on a limb, and agree with Gman to a further extent. I'm pretty sure NO courses allow you to voluntarily re-take them, if you passed, just if you think you can get a better result a second time through.

Also a question arises from this, why the hell would you even bother? Not like a uni degree is short :cool:

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Basically, I did no work what-so-ever for 1151 and didn't really learn anything on the way through, really only passed it by the art of bullshitting. It would just make me feel a lot better if I did an easier maths, and got a good mark in it and actually learned something in the process.

Also, if I move straight into 1231 in first semester 2006, I'll be sort of 1 semester ahead for maths.... or something. I don't really want to do this because I'd rather complete the degree the "usual" way, just to avoid stuffing around. (Unless I can do 18 UOC instead of 24 and do 1231 in semester 2?)

Oh yeah... and HECS fees really mean nothing to me. Considering you only have to pay them back once you earn above a certain amount, I figure once I'm earning that amount I'll be comfortable enough anyway.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
MAICHI said:
Top mark this session for UNSW's top math class, math1251 is 97....
How can 1251 being the top maths class is beyond me. The recommended HSC maths mark for 1151 is lower than 1141...

Anyway.. the highest mark for 1241 is 99.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
You haven't told us what major you are changing to from actuarial studies because I think that most other majors don't require you to have that much knowledge in maths. I've basically forgotten everything I've learnt in maths and if I ever was to use some of that knowledge to do something, I'll just google it like the rest of the world.

MAICHI said:
I swear I saw a few 99s or high 90s posted on the Usyd forum for first year math. Maybe they have many math geniuses there, can't rule that out.
Never compare marks from different unis. I know people who did four unit maths with me in highschool who went to USYD, at the end of first year I meet up with them and they all had HDs in Maths, but during highschool they were all stuggling with three unit, let alone four unit maths. They could have studied hard for all I know but all I know is that USYD has a different system. Also USYD hands out uni medals like candy.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Swapping from Actuarial Studies to BScience/BEducation, majoring in maths for the science component. So yeah.... thought it would be pretty important for me to be solid on all the maths I'll ever cover if I'm going to be teaching it one day :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
How can 1251 being the top maths class is beyond me. The recommended HSC maths mark for 1151 is lower than 1141..
Lol. Those 'recommend' marks mean nothing. It's just to encourage more Commerce students to consider doing some maths.

MATH1151 & MATH1251 are the hardest maths courses because they have to conform to the Institute of Actuaries' mathematics preparation program. Basically, having done those 2 courses you should understand all the mathematical methods req'd for real actuarial subjects (check out the Formula Bk for more details).

MATH1151 & MATH1251 are the best 1st yr math subjects cz they teach you useful stuff (some at intro 2nd yr level like double integration). However, in MATH1141 you learn some useless stuff like volumes (which can easily be solved by double integration as a matter of fact :D )

Survivor39 said:
the highest mark for 1241 is 99.
The MATH1241 is just the MATH1231 with a couple of extra hard q's. Not too much difference ~____~

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
USyd has a better TSP/Adv Sci program which attracts more of the top students. Also, the Advanced level exam is just the normal level (relatively easy!) with a couple more hard qs. So it's no surprise that there are a lot of Math HDs in USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)