enrolling (4 Viewers)

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
Yeah, it does suck a bit. It will be fun on wednesdays that i go out on,the across campus sprint to catch the 10:10 bus at the bus stop near International house is going to be a bit tough

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
clive said:
Yeah, it does suck a bit. It will be fun on wednesdays that i go out on,the across campus sprint to catch the 10:10 bus at the bus stop International house is going to be a bit tough
isn't international house next to edwards hall?

so why the bus?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I guess it's alright. I mean, i'm doing 40 points each semester (for the 80 point year), the website says you have a maximum of 50 per semester. It's just, I thought engineering wouldve taken a little more of my time then 13 hours a week :/

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
jumb said:
I guess it's alright. I mean, i'm doing 40 points each semester (for the 80 point year), the website says you have a maximum of 50 per semester. It's just, I thought engineering wouldve taken a little more of my time then 13 hours a week :/

i had 26 hours contact sem1 first year, so you must have have not counted tutes/labs. what subjects have you chosen, more importantly what engineering are you doing?

there were a few other questions but im not going to quote, so just a few points

1. timetable is up to you. you have to slot things in to fit everything; lectures/labs/tutes
2. you have until the HECS census date to finalise subject choices(?? March late)
3. goto student services during o week to get student ID/concession card
4. generally you do 40 credit points per semester but sometimes it works out 50/30 or 30/50 to make it to 80 per year
5. the uni will send you a bill for the GSC ~$180
6. they offer enough tute places to satisfy their enrolments, dont panic if you miss them as they will accomodate you if you really really need a certain tute
7. 6-8pm is not bad, ive had maths till 9 many times and also labs till 10
8. enrol for the whole year so you dont have to worry about it later, you can always change by HECS census dates
9. order does not matter, sem1 subjects and sem2 subjects are hard to confuse all that matters is that they get done
10. dont freak out they wont execute you for making a mistake (do we remember the expect to graduate box????? lol)
11. @clive i have to do that damn phil subject doh!!!

dont panic

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
mrbassman said:
4. generally you do 40 credit points per year but sometimes it works out 50/30 or 30/50 to make it to 80 per year
I think you meant 40 credit points per semester.

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
PHYS1210:

Lecture: for 3 Hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks
Tutorial: for 1 Hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks
Laboratory: for 3 Hour(s) per Week for 8 Weeks

MATH1110:

Lecture: for 4 Hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks
Tutorial: for 2 Hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks

ELEC1800:

Lecture: for 3 Hour(s) per Week for the Full Term
Tutorial: for 2 Hour(s) per Week for the Full Term

ELEC1300:

Lecture: for 3 Hour(s) per Week for the Full Term
Tutorial: for 1 Hour(s) per Week for the Full Term
Laboratory: for 1 Hour(s) per Week for the Full Term

total number of contact hours: 23 :)

Last edited:

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Oh, it doesnt show tutorials or lab's.

But even then, most of those only start from 2nd week.

My next question, so WE choose the Or's don't we?

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
jumb said:
I think you meant 40 credit points per semester.
forgive me typo, it was a long post i will correct

jumb said:
My next question, so WE choose the Or's don't we?
you chose one tute time and one lab time, so yes YOU choose one of the OR's

clive said:
total number of contact hours: 23
now thats more like an engineering degree, i sure as shit dont miss those 3h physics labs till 9pm

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
jumb said:
Hmm, the more i look at it, the more I now understand, so thanks. But whats really got me confused now is this:

http://studinfo1.newcastle.edu.au/timetables2005/class_times/results.cfm?crses=ELEC1300

I dont get the "with lab 1" etc.

Does that mean you have to do a tutorial, then straight after it do the lab?

fred's english is not so good, what he means is that you will have your tute every week and after your tute you will go to the lab. this will happen only five times and you will be happy for that.

so first week you will go to your tute for the first hour and then go to the lab for the intro session. so you need to choose the lab that would immediately follow your tute. try to leave an hour free for after your lab in case you go overtime (that means choose your phys tute on another day unlike i did)

tute=every week
lab= after tute about every 2nd week starting about week 5/6

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Okay, last qusetions, I have a day with one subject right after another. Is there anything I can do about this apart from sprinting?

This is my week 1 so far. The problem is thursday, as I don't know which maths to do.

http://www.geocities.com/jimbojonesbw/weekone.xls

As of week 2, I will be doing 23 hours as clive said.

Also is it a bad idea to change around the 'OR' courses, or should you try to stick with one timetable.

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
jumb re: how much time you're spending at uni. *theoretically* for every unit you do you are supposed to do an hour of work, so therefore if yr doing a 40 unit semester you should be doing 40 hours a week. while thats not the case, dont expect to just do your 14 hours or whatever and then come home and do nothing. my course is usually only 10 or 11 hours face to face, but i spend so much time at home working too

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
jumb said:
Okay, last qusetions, I have a day with one subject right after another. Is there anything I can do about this apart from sprinting?

This is my week 1 so far. The problem is thursday, as I don't know which maths to do.

http://www.geocities.com/jimbojonesbw/weekone.xls

As of week 2, I will be doing 23 hours as clive said.

Also is it a bad idea to change around the 'OR' courses, or should you try to stick with one timetable.
- lecture doesnt start right away on the hour
- do morning maths wherever possible, although night is better quality
- the ORs that you refer to i assume are tutes, you can only choose them once during registration and you have to stick to it

sam_553817

HSC
Registering for tut's

Question for non-first years, with enroling for tut's etc, i found the page for doing this but only 3/8 subjects are listed. Do they get posted up gradually??Of those that are posted, most say they will not be open for registration until the first day of classes (21/2/05).

I'm mostly concerned because i know what i bitch it is when you don't get the best tut's for yourself, having just spent 18 months at usyd (transfering from BA USYD to B. Devel. St. UNCLE).

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
sam_553817 said:
Question for non-first years, with enroling for tut's etc, i found the page for doing this but only 3/8 subjects are listed. Do they get posted up gradually??Of those that are posted, most say they will not be open for registration until the first day of classes (21/2/05).

I'm mostly concerned because i know what i bitch it is when you don't get the best tut's for yourself, having just spent 18 months at usyd (transfering from BA USYD to B. Devel. St. UNCLE).

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
keep checking they may open early. the others will probably be available in the first week after your first lecture.

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Is it just me or does the business courses have very little face to face contact time. Cause I Only have 12 hrs ( 4 lectures ( 2 hrs each ) and 4 tut ( 1 hr each)) a week for the first semeter. That is for 4 courses.
Plus an additional 3 hrs ( cause we go there 3 times, each an hour) in a computer lab for the whole semestar.

I will being doing 5 courses in semester 2. So that will only be 16 hrs or so.

mmmmmm........ Does this sound right to anyone ?

Last edited:

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Timesplitter 01 said:
Is it just me or does the business courses have very little face to face contact time. Cause I Only have 12 hrs ( 4 lectures ( 2 hrs each ) and 4 tut ( 1 hr each)) a week for the first semeter. That is for 4 courses.
Plus an additional 3 hrs ( cause we go there 3 times, each an hour) in a computer lab for the whole semestar.

I will being doing 5 courses in semester 2. So that will only be 16 hrs or so.

mmmmmm........ Does this sound right to anyone ?
yes it sounds right, i have a final year business friend who only goes to uni twice a week

sam_553817

HSC
mrbassman said:
keep checking they may open early. the others will probably be available in the first week after your first lecture.
Just so i'm sure about this, all tut's are elected online - none in class?? only because i can't make it on monday so i'll miss out on 2/4 of my first lectures.

cheers bassman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)