Enrolment day - questions about subject picking. (1 Viewer)

orchid_violet

HSC
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">there are like majors, sub-majors, choice blocks and streams...do we have to choose subjects from all of those categories???
I am doing textiles, do I even have a major?
do we get choices the first and second years (like electives) or is basically just core subjects and all the students have the exact same timetable.
Do we have any say on the classes, like can we choose times, days from a list?
so confused, haha am I making a big deal over nothing?
and I saw that if I am doing design, I can also sub-major in writing or something?? is that true?
can you choose more subjects than expected to do? like extras?
I pretty much know nothing so ANYTHING regarding the subject selection process and what happens throughout enrolment day would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance. <3
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I'm assuming you have already accepted your offer and you have a student ID and e-mail. If not, then do that first obviously.

Now, look at the handbook entry for your course at http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au . Find your course and bookmark it because this will be a very important page for you. Read the whole page and it should help you understand your course structure.

Before you do what I say below, check out the timetable at http://timetable.uts.edu.au for your class times.

Now for enrolment, you can log into MyStudentAdmin and complete your enrolment. I'm not even sure if you can do this (maybe one of the other new starters can confirm, because in the previous years you had to wait until enrolment to enrol online). It's probably best for you to leave this step until enrolment day.

Go here: http://www.uts.edu.au/onestop/studentadmin/

You can either: Log into MyStudentAdmin and choose your subjects. You can also log into MySubjectActivities and choose your classes for your subjects (after you enrol in them).

If you can't enrol yet, then just wait until your enrolment day. In the meantime, just make sure your registered and you've looked at the handbook and timetable.

I know that probably all sounds confusing, so thats why they have an enrolment day to help you out! :)

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
dimzi said:
How do we know what subjects we will be doing? Or are they the ones we have to select? *is confused*
Yes I'm confused too
Help me Jase!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Hmm...I've figured out the subject thing, but I don't understand the grid thing the timetable link you give takes me to jasee...its a just a bunch of gook to me..=\
EDIT:nm, I figured it out - hehe wow only 11 hours a week at UTS :eek:

dimzi said:
How do we know what subjects we will be doing? Or are they the ones we have to select? *is confused*
We just go to the handbook site and look up the units needed for our degree, note down the numbers beside our core and chosen electives and then put them into the timetable thing.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
goan_crazy said:
Yes I'm confused too
Help me Jase!
For pre-enrolment preparation, follow these steps:

- Now, look at the handbook entry for your course at http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au . Find your course and bookmark it because this will be a very important page for you. Read the whole page and it should help you understand your course structure.

- Before you do what I say below, check out the timetable at http://timetable.uts.edu.au for your class times.

As for the rest of what I said, you'll do that at your enrolment day so don't worry about the actual enrolment stuff yet.

You look at the handbook entry for your course. This will tell you what subjects you will be doing. For the majority of the courses, the first semester (or even first year), is usually fixed, especially if you're doing a more focused degree. So look at the subjects and subject numbers, then go to the timetable website and enter these numbers in. It will bring up the times for that subject and then just choose times from there that you would like. You might want a piece of paper to help plan it out as it might get confusing, especially the first time. The Autumn semester is the one that's just coming up, and Spring semester is the one that starts in August. You need to enrol into BOTH semesters, but concentrate mainly on Autumn at the moment.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
kami said:
Hmm...I've figured out the subject thing, but I don't understand the grid thing the timetable link you give takes me to jasee...its a just a bunch of gook to me..=\
EDIT:nm, I figured it out - hehe wow only 11 hours a week at UTS :eek:
I still dont understand it!! And the 'avail' part; is that the number of places still available? And how do I reserve mine? Or is this all done on enrolment day?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You select your classes on enrolment day. Those available places won't go down until you guys start choosing classes and also the current students get their preferences allocated to them (which happens tomorrow for the current students, so keep an eye out on the timetable site for changes to those numbers).

orchid_violet

HSC
you know how you said jasee that it is fixed... well can I do more subjects than expected???

HSC
i'm a bit confused with all this jazz.
I'm guessing Core subjects are like Core subjects in HSC courses, in which if you choose the course you MUST do them.
Electives are like option topics.
WTF's a Choice Block and a Stream?

orchid_violet

HSC
haha, I have no idea. I tried to get it from the uts handbook cd but like it made me more confused. I guess it really depends on what course you do.

maka

HSC
Simply wait to enrolment day and they will help you with everything you need to know. Not overly difficult.

Ill offer some help. This relates to Business mainly.

1) You have 7 core subjects (in the handbook) and get an option between Strategy and Accounting 2 (choose one)
2) Year 2 and 3 relates to majors and minors, so dont worry just yet.

So on enrolment day you pretty much get your HECS account step up and you enrol in your subjects. You pick your preferences and wait for the timetable to come out. The easiest way is to just follow the recommended paths as found in the Online Handbook and that way you will have no troubles.

A lot of helpful people are present to answer each and everyone of your questions. The thing is be prepared to listen as they answer all the questions during their talks.

Lostie_8989

HSC
N/A
???????

So do we have to choose our majors in our first year???????? (i.e on enrolment day)

Calla

HSC
no u have like a year to decide for ur majors if im not mistaken

HyPnOtiSeD

be my bad boy ...
HSC
i don't like this one bit *stamps foot*, haha, its all too confusing for me :(

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I just followed the "typical" course structure. So for the Autumn session, I'm probably just going to study Economics for Business, Marketing Foundations, Managing People and Organisations and Accounting for Business.

We only need to choose one lecture and one tutorial for each subject right? And is it possible to study both electives (both Business Strategy and Accounting Decisions and Transactions)?

Oh, and so we enrol for the lectures and tutorials on the day right? We don't have to enrol online? The timetables are just there to help us make a decision right?

Thanks

Last edited:

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
and can we get help, maybe on enrolment day, actually writing up our timetables? Or once we pick our subjects does someone else do that for us? What exactly happens?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
okay you guys put in preferences (like the times thats ideal for you). Afterwards they are sorted and the timetable will be released. The IT people will help you with IT queries. The timetable is generally based on what you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)