• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

enrolment in labs? (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
you need safety goggles for chem - purchase at the optom building behind the red centre
lab coat - buy at zippy's or chem office, ~$40 i think

you dont need the dissection kit till 2nd semester

for BIOS and CHEM you'll need to buy a lab manual. buy them during 1st week, week before if you're keen and you know around, BIOS in 1st year office in Bio Sci building, CHEM in the shop at the bottom (hard to explain where)

that's all you'll need for labs

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
What abt a 'course pack'?? wtf is that??

Anything else that i'll be needing?? This is expensive stuff...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Azn_Phoenix said:
What abt a 'course pack'?? wtf is that??

Anything else that i'll be needing?? This is expensive stuff...
Course pack is like your Lab manual.
labcoat
safety glasses (CHEM)
Textbooks

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
Oh ok...i got a BIOS lab manual and signed up for tuts + lab...but i got nothing from chem. NO lab coat...:( not @ zippies n chem. store was closed...do i need another course guide for chem as well??

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Azn_Phoenix said:
Oh ok...i got a BIOS lab manual and signed up for tuts + lab...but i got nothing from chem. NO lab coat...:( not @ zippies n chem. store was closed...do i need another course guide for chem as well??
did u sign up in tuts as well?.....i was told i would do that when lectures started, so all i enroled in was lab....

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
Na....there's a 'Blue' + 'Green' folder to sign in both Tuts + Labs...i had to extend my time @ uni to 4 days...*sigh* :(

Missin_Romz

HSC
Azn_Phoenix said:
Na....there's a 'Blue' + 'Green' folder to sign in both Tuts + Labs...i had to extend my time @ uni to 4 days...*sigh* :(
hmm, i havent seen any "blue" or "green" folders..ahh the confusion. i enroled in a lab at the uni on advisory day and i called the other day to enrol in tut but they guy gave me completely different times to the ones they have on their website..i enroled in 2-5 lab on tuesday but for tut i wanted the thursday one on this timetable

http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/timetables/BIOS-ENVS_L1S1.pdf

but the guy told me they dont have that time. apparently they only have tuts on wed, thurs and fri mornings. screw them i had to go back and fix my timetable so i could fit a tut in. why dont they just go by the times they have on their website. arghhhh

Last edited:

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
G27!

So do I need to go 2 the 'school of chem' to get my lab coat, course pack + to find out where my labs are??

Also, does anyone remember the tut time available for BIOS? POST THEM UP!

Missin_Romz

HSC
Azn_Phoenix said:
G27!

So do I need to go 2 the 'school of chem' to get my lab coat, course pack + to find out where my labs are??

Also, does anyone remember the tut time available for BIOS? POST THEM UP!
i enroled in one on thursday 10-11, theres also 10-11 on wednesday and on friday i think......i dunno...he rattled off a few times and i just picked the one that fitted in my timetable.....i dunno why theyre are different to the ones on the site timetable but oh well.....

and to answer ur first question yes, u have to go to the skool of chem to find out where ur labs are, u enrol in them online, so its not like bios but u dont know the location of the lab until u start......

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Clarification:

- I don't think there is tut for BIOS1201. Didn't they give you a CD when you purchase your lab manual? You suppose to dedicate 1 hour a week to study one of the tutorial in your CD. The tut lab that they posted on the site is for when you have difficulties understanding particular aspect of the course, whether it'd be lecture material, or lab, and tut material, you go in there for however long you want and ask the tutor on duty.

- For chemistry, you will need to buy a lab manual when the store is open in Week 1. You labs are all on the ground floor of the chem building. Fundamental at the left of the building, the chem store side. Higher chem on the opposite site.

Tamara_C

HSC
I called up the BEES office and enrolled in a lab and a tut. The lady told me I had to enrol in a tut but it didn't start till second week. But I haven't bought any of the lab books or textbooks yet.

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
When does the Chem. Store open?? wk 1??
Supposedly, you can get lab coats from the loading dock out the back...:p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Tamara_C said:
I called up the BEES office and enrolled in a lab and a tut. The lady told me I had to enrol in a tut but it didn't start till second week. But I haven't bought any of the lab books or textbooks yet.
oh. I'm not too sure about it then. maybe they decided you have to go to tut in person, since maybe they think we didn't bother studying the tut ourselves.

Azn_Phoenix said:
When does the Chem. Store open?? wk 1??
Supposedly, you can get lab coats from the loading dock out the back...:p
You can go to the loading dock to purchase the lab coat. i did the same as well before week 1.

HSC
ok...now im really confused...

so for BIOS1201 there are labs AND tuts to enrol in? and u have to do the same with CHEMxxxx?

wind

HSC
+GriM ReApeR+ said:
ok...now im really confused...

so for BIOS1201 there are labs AND tuts to enrol in? and u have to do the same with CHEMxxxx?
The handbook doesn't mention anything about having to call up to enrol for CHEMxxxx courses...does it?

Plus when I enrolled into CHEM1011 and CHEM1021, lab and tutes were already available to add.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes there are tutes and labs. BEES, like FCE, don't use the myUNSW system for enrolling some classes.

HSC
Survivor39 said:
It's always the same every year :D

Lab BIOS1201
Mo 2-5 pm
Tu 10-1 pm, Tu 2-5 pm
We 10-1 pm, We 2-5 pm
Th 10-1 pm, Th 2-5 pm
Fr 10-1 pm
Do u have the tute times as well?

wind

HSC
The ones I remember are:

Tuesday 11am - 12pm
Wednesday 11am - 12pm

Not sure if there are anymore though.

When you call up they'll list all the times anyways, so you shouldn't going off my dodgy memory lol.

Last edited:
HSC
also, on my timetable i see "see school for location" for my chemistry and maths tuts and lab...does this mean that i have to contact them and ask for the location or like bios and enrol again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)