Enrolment Med. (1 Viewer)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Med has it easy when it comes to enrolment, especially for first year. All you need to do is enrol in those courses...

For Semester 1: 'Foundations' and 'Society and Health'
For Semester 2: 'Beginnings Growth and Development' and 'Health Maintenance'

You dont enrol in tutes or anything, as everything is integrated these days, and enrolling you in those courses covers everything. Everybody does exactly the same thing. They figure out all your classes, then tell you when you have tutes, pracs, lectures and clinical. Dont worry, you'll get all this in the first week.

As for Gen Eds: at this stage, you dont need to do anything. You do gen eds during second year. So dont worry about it until this time next year, then you also can bitch and moan about how your random and pathetic timetable doesnt allow for you to do the gen eds that any normal uni student can do.

HTH.

nit

HSC
seeing as this is the most recently active unsw med thread, I'll try and ask my question here. I've heard that you can pursue the study of other subjects apart from those administered by the med faculty from 2nd year onwards - ie maths, or phys or chem etc - not the gen-eds, but actual subjects from other faculties. Is this true and does anyone know more about this?

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Um why though? And I don't know if it works that way with the new course anymore. Actually I'm about 99% positive there is no way you would fit more subjects in simply because of how different our timetable works to other faculties.

But talk to the office if you really want to. The only way I can imagine this working is with a similar program to Arts/Med, or with Arts/Med, where you just dont do med for a period of time, and do your arts subjects. I guess you could do maths as part of the arts component?

Does turtle still come to BoS Forums? I know he was doing maths at some stage also. But he is an old course person. So it's different.

envy87

HSC
well nit, i think you are correct, there is a period of a few weeks in the course, where you study subjects from other faculties, not the gen -eds, for example you can study a language. However there are some limits, they try and make sure that you don't take subjects similar to what you're studying in med, like in some cases they won't let you do pharmacology

but it is my understanding, that you only do a subject for a short period of time, nothing greatly significant.

i'm 99% sure about this, since i asked the acting dean about this all on the info day [cos the faculty advisers said that there was no such thing, wheras on the website it clearly stated it] and he said i was right, that you can study subjects from other facutlies, but yes, there are limits.

best to ask the dean or someone in the faculty about it, who actually knows what the course is [as opposed to the idiots that were at the open day] about it

further to the above "Students are also required to undertake 12 UOC of elective courses in a faculty or faculties other than Medicine." is what it says on the website.

Last edited:

envy87

HSC
well according to the handbook it says "As part of the program, students are required to complete 12 UOC of General Education courses (unless exempt under UNSW rules) which may be available as sessional courses or in block mode. Students are also required to undertake 12 UOC of elective courses in a faculty or faculties other than Medicine." which implies that you have to do the gen eds, and also a seperate 12UOC of elective .

meh, i asked the dean, to clarify this, since every1 was going on about the gen eds, and no one mentioned the electives, and thats what he said, that apart from the gen eds, you also do electives from other faculties such as a language.

believe what you want

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
if they're available, you can do subjects like maths or science as an elective (ie part of the extra 12uoc), but that's not in second year.

if you want to really continue these subjects tho (ie do a combined med/science degree) you have to talk to the faculty about it. the arts/med program is available, but say if u want to continue ur studies in science (not medical science), u can talk to the faculty and u might be able to arrange stuff with them. i know of one student who's done the extra degree so she could continue doing maths. however, i think its only possible to arrange stuff like this if ur a special case (ie you can show evidence that you're really really interested in it, or really good at it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)