Enrolment Questions (1 Viewer)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Ok, let me just establish from the outset that I'm a little clueless and retarded when it comes to getting myself organised for this, so I have a nice little list of questions about enrolling to university and it would be really appreciated if someone who knows what they're talking about can help me! thanks :)

Firstly: About HECS payments. I'm going to defer my payment on the day so I'm bringing my TFN, I know to do that. But there is apparently a request form you have to fill out and I just want to know whether or not you are sent the form by the uni/uac after you get an offer, or whether you have to get it from somewhere on the day or get it from somewhere else or what.

Secondly: About the actual process of enrolling. What happens? What do you actually have to do to become enrolled? Are there any fees or charges that have to be paid on the day? (I'm talking union contributions, stuff like that) and how much is it?

Thirdly: About picking subjects. I know from the usyd website that we have to pick our subjects/units of study when we enrol... I'm doing the BEd/BA and I have both the Arts and Education faculty handbooks - are the subjects in those the ones I choose from? and, um, how do you know what to pick in terms of the structure of the course, like, how do you know whether the subjects you pick will clash with each other? how can you find out about how to pick subjects and where/when/how do you do it on the day? i'm worried that i'll get there and not know how to do it :s

Fourthly: Uni emails, student ID cards, etc. What's the go? do we get these on enrolment or later?

thanks so much if someone can help me out. I'm so lost atm :eek:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
3: From what I recall from a friend who was thinking about BA/BEd, you do two junior Education units and six junior Arts units in first year. Some of the Arts units have to be from particular disciplines of teaching. The details will probably be in the degree resolutions at the back of the Education handbook.

Lainee

HSC
You'll be sent a letter detailing the enrolment process. For me, this was included in my UAC letter of offer. Most, or all, of your concerns should be answered by that letter, but I'll just give you a run down on what happens.

1. Concerning HECS deferments, you will get a form to fill out on the day of your enrolment. At USYD, you must enrol in person, and you will be given details of which rooms to go to for each step in enrolment. So there is a separate room where you fill in HECS details, another room where you get your student card etc.

2. Process of enrolment depends on the uni course you are offered. The letter from USYD will tell you what day (and sometimes what time) you need to be at uni at a particular location. When you complete the first step of enrolment - formalising details of your HECS and another payments - you are directed to another room for the next step and so forth. You can't get lost, there are signs everywhere. :) I don't know about how much you have to pay for union fees this year (because of all the changes) but they'll let you know in time (or someone on this board can).

3. You will be directed to a separate room where there will be a tonne of helpers there to help you choose your subjects. Some people already know what subjects they're choosing before they get there (because of pre-requisites or determined course structure), many others don't. You don't have to rush through the process, you can stay there for an hour if need be to decide what subjects you want to choose from the handbook. There'll be heaps of students all in the same boat as you.

4. Sounds redundant but... there will be a separate room in the enrolment process for you to go where you'll set up your student card. You get it on the day, after you fill in forms for transport concessions etc. You also get a uni email and student login on the same day.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
every new student gets like this. exactly like this. just don't stress and know that it will all make perfect sense eventually :)

just enjoy your holidays and relax.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Malfoy said:
For the BA/BEd you choose your whole years' subjects on the day. There are two compulsory first-year Education units you do - EDUF1018 and 1019, one for each semester. The other 6 subjects you pick yourself and they're any Arts units you want though you should make sure they allow you to move to senior units in your teaching areas. eg. English you need 2 English first year subjects to do second ones, same with History subjects.

Your enrolments should look like this:

Semester
Education
Teaching subject 1
Teaching subject 2
Random unit/extra teaching subject unit

Also, you just pick them from the Arts handbook. What teaching areas are you looking at?
ok, thanks. I'm planning to teach English and Drama. For the random/extra teaching unit I'd probably pick History, or TESOL if it's available to first year students, though I'm pretty sure the lady I talked to on info day said you can do that in your last year.

bustinjustin

HSC
Don't worry too much about which units you put down on your enrolment form, for you can easily change these online, right up until the end of the first week of uni, the last date where you can add new units of study. Because most tutes don't start 'til week 2 (which is where you're likely to get to know people), think of the first week as a time to shop around, go to different lectures, sift through course outlines, see how heavy the workload/assessment is, and finally decide on what you really want to do.

company_sin

HSC
Ah, English/Drama - you're looking to do what I was enrolled in up until the end of last semester. I won't go over what everyone else has said (the teaching unit/three Arts units thing) but I do have some advice to offer regarding Drama.

If you want to teach drama there aren't any first year units. What you need to take is just a bunch of Arts units (including your English ones). Once you've taken two first year subjects in the same discipline you qualify for senior Performance Studies.

So, if you take two English units in semester one, you can start taking Performance Studies in semester two. That, or you can just leave Performance Studies until second year.

Hope this makes sense.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
company_sin said:
Ah, English/Drama - you're looking to do what I was enrolled in up until the end of last semester. I won't go over what everyone else has said (the teaching unit/three Arts units thing) but I do have some advice to offer regarding Drama.

If you want to teach drama there aren't any first year units. What you need to take is just a bunch of Arts units (including your English ones). Once you've taken two first year subjects in the same discipline you qualify for senior Performance Studies.

So, if you take two English units in semester one, you can start taking Performance Studies in semester two. That, or you can just leave Performance Studies until second year.

Hope this makes sense.
thanks for that :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I also have a question.
According to the USYD website, "Science Undergraduate enrolment" is Monday 22 - Thursday 25 January 2007. We only need to attend ONE of those days right?

tennille

HSC
You should be receiving a letter in the mail indicating what day and time you must enrol. They usually do it alphabetcally and by degree (eg. Science students with surnames from A-M enrol in the morning, N-Z enrol in the afternoon).

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Trebla: USYD has an enrolment finder up where you can stick in your course and your surname and find out where enrolment for that particular course is happening and when.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)