Entertainment Industry (2 Viewers)

toffee

in entertainment course u learn about backstage stuff, front of house, lighting, sound all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on in concerts, performances etc. its really cool im going to do it next year after i finish yr12 finish off my certificates up to cert V but i cant find a tafe that does it past cert 2:( its depressing me coz i really wanna do it........

drummerboy

drummerboy2007
HSC
Can anyone help us?

Hey

Just a few questions im doing the entertainment industry coarse at the moment and I am setting the hsc exam. My teacher does not seem to know anything about any of the modules that we need to learn and has taught us nothing over the past 2 years and me and the rest of my class are begining to get worried with our trial coming up soon. Anyway I was just wondering wether there is anyone out there who might happen to have any sheets or information which they have that might help us to learn the important parts fast so we can get up to speed before the trials.

Thanks

HSC
hey i know you asked ages ago, but if you still need to know, the csu website has entertainment notes... they arent that thorough, but nothing for vet ever seems to be.. so it's better than nothing.

Meli_the_Pink

Pretty in Pink
HSC
Hey guys! I do entertainment at oatley and will be sitting the exam this year too. Our teacher is quite good and wil be in charge of the exam or something next year...I don't really know. Anyway, I'm sitting next to the syllabus right now so if anyone has any concerns about not knowing what they need to know for the exam I'll be happy to try and help! [cos i know the feeling and it sucks!]

Meli_the_Pink

Pretty in Pink
HSC
Probably best if you email me actually cos I'll check that. lol. Should be able to do it through my profile. And I noticed there are no notes posted for this subject. How do we change that? (not that i have any yet, but for future reference)

aarond

i to Ent at Armidale. the Year 11 course is real good cos you do alot of hands on stuff in the modules like, setting up for musical performance and sound recording, OHS is a bit of a drag though. the year 12 course is not as exciting, its more the business side of the industry. though i guess it really depends on the teacher you have as to how much you'll enjoy it and how much you'll learn. one of our teachers owned a recording studio so that was a bonus and the one we have now is suited to what we're doing.

Meli_the_Pink

Pretty in Pink
HSC
Yeah I don't think it's possible to make OHS fun! Thats awesoem about your teacher owning a recording studio

molly smengy

HSC
Hey guys
tell me if I'm wrong but isn't the uai mark you
get for entertainment based 100% on the final
exam and not the trials at all? Thats what my teacher
has been telling us...

megeggie

HSC
yup that is exactly right.
UAI comes 100% from HSC
i have a feeling all VET courses are like that.
Good luck all =)

ashyoddy

HSC
Yeah i do Entertainment. Our school offers it, it's awesome, i love it!
And yeah, the UAI mark is 100% - Our teacher that NO-ONE in all of NSW got band 6. the closest was an 89 (band 5) - lets hope that we will be the first to get BAND 6's!

Good Luck guys!

refrakt

HSC
2004 HSC Examinations

I Have a query regarding what the entertainment canditure thinks of the following question. It is taken from the 2004 HSC Examination.

Question 7: You have set up a microphone for a guest speaker at a conference. During the sound check you find that it is not working.

What is the first thing you should do to identify the problem?

A: Change the microphone.
B: Blow into the microphone.
C: Check that the power supply is switched on.
D: Check the microphone connection on the mixing desk.

What do you believe to be the correct answer? Justify your choice because there is discussion on what is the correct answer. Once a few people reply I will tell you what I think.

betty boop

HSC
refrakt said:
I Have a query regarding what the entertainment canditure thinks of the following question. It is taken from the 2004 HSC Examination.

Question 7: You have set up a microphone for a guest speaker at a conference. During the sound check you find that it is not working.

What is the first thing you should do to identify the problem?

A: Change the microphone.
B: Blow into the microphone.
C: Check that the power supply is switched on.
D: Check the microphone connection on the mixing desk.

What do you believe to be the correct answer? Justify your choice because there is discussion on what is the correct answer. Once a few people reply I will tell you what I think.

I'd choose (C) because...

1) It's the most obvious thing to do...and THEN if it wasnt that...
2)Check the connections...and if its not that
3) Change the microphone

and seriously who would blow into the mic unless you were a cock lol

a11y50n

HSC
We actually went through that in class. I was saying you would check both the power and the connection.. thats wat most of the people in class thought too.

a11y50n

HSC
megeggie said:
yup that is exactly right.
UAI comes 100% from HSC
i have a feeling all VET courses are like that.
Good luck all =)
I thought that UAI was assessment as well? LOL Shows how much attention my school pays hahaha!

megeggie

HSC
yeah, c is the most obvious, i suppose if the question specified that other things plugged into the power were working though it would be to check the connection.
Are people studying for this exam, or relying on the common sense that seems to be the answer to most questions? lol

refrakt

HSC
megeggie said:
Are people studying for this exam, or relying on the common sense that seems to be the answer to most questions?
Lol, no I think everyone is relying on their own knowledge. It's not like there is much to study anyway.

But yeah, the question. At the outset im going to say that I dont do this course because its a bludge, I do it because its all very easy. Im not doing it for some crappy cert2 qual either because I already have a position at a leading Sydney based production company (Yes, this is relevant).

I believe that the question is incorrect for several reasons. First, it's not worded correctly (and any kind of industry speak is very low level). The question stipulates that Sound Check has already began (During the sound check). Every time I (and everyone else where I work) starts a soundcheck the first thing thats done is to power-up the system. Obviously, were not making noise yet so we can't determine if the mic is working or not. The question does not state that you have placed the channel in PFL/SOLO so it's basically saying that for it to 'work' some kind of signal has to come out of your FOH setup. For this to happen, power has to be applied to FOH and your DRIVE/AMP racks or if you want to be cheap, powered speakers...

So, because you are in the middle of soundcheck (During the sound check) you must have hard 240 coming from somewhere. Therefor, your console would be on and you would not be metering any signal from the channel. The first logical step would be to "D) Check Connections". Obviously, there are several ways to look at this question, but the BOS doesn't want to justify why they believe this is the right answer. I'm going to call this "trained-professional's" advice line to see what they think - but im expecting the same answer.

Ick, long...
Will let you know how it goes.

megeggie

HSC
in other words, this course is so new and hasn't got properly qualified people teaching it we should all just take random guesses - coz no matter how much we study we're still gonna need a lot of luck

a11y50n

HSC
I am still studying, even though I have come first since we started, there is still bound for things that I might not remember..

betty boop

HSC
well refrakt i hope you come first in state for your extensive knowledge...i just hope you dont confuse yourself in the process...i see what your saying and its all very true and relevant...
and i just dont think its right having unqualified "teachers" teaching varying things that may or may not be appropriate to the course...
i am also coming first ...but honestly this course shouldnt have been offered at all lol...if that makes any sense...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)