Entry into Macquarie Law? (1 Viewer)

benoost

HSC
I want to do Macquarie Law/Commerce, however my ATAR (91.75) was a fair bit below the cut-off (95.9) and so I can be fairly sure I wont receive an offer there. However I have already received an offer for the same degree at UWS (before finalising my preferences, which was weird). I have accepted this offer, but was wondering what my best option into Macquarie Law is.

1. Start the degree at UWS and then apply to transfer as soon as is possible

2. Start a Commerce degree and apply to transfer.

with regards to the second option it says that the cutoff for pre-law is 93 but bonus points apply. What are these bonus points in regards to? the commerce degree? if so, I receive 5 for that course which would move my ATAR above the requirement, but I am unsure if this is useful?

Additional info for the bonus points part:
Band 5 - English Advance
Band 5 - Business Studies
Band 6 - Legal Studies

Any help would be greatly appreciated

mqpls

HSC
N/A
With my limited knowledge I would say do Commerce at MQ then transfer. I'm not sure on what is required to externally transfer from UWS to MQ but I know that a 3.0 GPA is required to get into Law at MQ 2nd year, which is a relatively easily attainable credit average if I remember correctly from the Info Day. Best of luck!

llamafarma

HSC
Based on what I learned at the Macquarie Uni Info Day, bonus points do apply to the pre-law pathway which will be useful in your scenario. The Dean stated that the easiest option is to undertake a Bachelor of Commerce (with the pre-law pathway) which is basically 4 units of law and if you do pass all those 4 units, you will be accepted into 2nd year Commerce/Law. Hope I was able to help :)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I received an early offer through UAC in the December round.

I received an ATAR of 91.90 for the HSC in 2013. You may possibly get an offer. I wouldn't lose hope yet but yeah, in case you don't just work to keep your WAM/GPA up and transfer.

Last edited:

bogirogi

HSC
N/A
Yeah seems like Law and combined Law courses at Macq are not popular???

There are still vacancies for Feb round offers.

In fact there are still so many vacancies for other courses as well, has Macq gone down the drain in quality???

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Yeah seems like Law and combined Law courses at Macq are not popular???

There are still vacancies for Feb round offers.

In fact there are still so many vacancies for other courses as well, has Macq gone down the drain in quality???
It just means the demand for MQ uni's degree has gone down - I suppose people are aiming for what they perceive to be a more prestigious degree by going to USYD, UNSW, UTS - all of which attract a stronger cohort.

A lot of employers out there still have great respect for MQ graduates, a lot of the old boys went there back in its glory days.

crazy_paki123

HSC
You guys are wrong about the quality. Quality for Commerce is more or less the same across all uni's. The LOCATION however of Macquarie Uni is a right pain in the ass. More people especially in Southern Sydney are going to opt for the city uni's in UNSW, USYD and UTS rather than hiking all the way to MQ. I was actually considering doing my Accounting and Finance degree at UWS C'town because its closer to my house, doesnt mean UWS is better or more prestigious than MQ now does it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)