Environ Management Essay Q (1 Viewer)

Freeba

HSC
lots of ppl seem to be predicting environ management to be a Q for extended response.

if so will it b on the policies the govt can use ie CRPS, carbon tax, expenditure on improving energy efficiency etc
or something else??

could someone help me with this 'something else'. or tell me whether there even are any other type of Qs they could ask.

Last edited:

mrhorseham

HSC
have a look in ur eco book in environmental management topic.
off the top of my head, u could include externalities and market failure.

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
You could mention how Australia collaborates with other economies to manage the environment collectively, such as during the Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen in December this year. It might allow you to expand your argument by going into some topics regarding the global economy.

Evertonian

HSC
tbh, i dont see them asking a policy question in regards to environment. I reckon itll ask for the conflict between environment and other eco objectives??

Freeba

HSC
yea i dnt think its likely to b asked bout policies especially with the CPRS still in negotiations. but wanted to know what other things they could ask.

-conflicts in achieving objectives
-relation to globalisation
i guess are other likely options.

any of u guys seen anything in past papers in the extended response section bout environ management anyways?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
yea i dnt think its likely to b asked bout policies especially with the CPRS still in negotiations. but wanted to know what other things they could ask.

-conflicts in achieving objectives
-relation to globalisation
i guess are other likely options.

any of u guys seen anything in past papers in the extended response section bout environ management anyways?
I believe I've spotted one but that was in conjunction with one regarding our case study as well.

Dimplez

HSC
They might not DIRECTLY refer to environmental management in the essay but there could be a question like "Discuss how a government may seek to acheive sustainable EG" in which case you would talk about EG but may also talk about the CAD being a "speed limit" on level of EG, unequal distibution of income and environmental degradation being constraints on long-term growth.

HSC
the 'speed limit' on economic growth is inflation, not CAD ^^

AnandDNA

HSC
its also CAD because to reduce CAD the government may adopt contractionary polciies causing restrictions to economic growth

Drew aka crazy

HSC
i say just think of the state of the economy a few months ago and just think what Q they could ask especially for the first extended response relying on the given data

HSC
its also CAD because to reduce CAD the government may adopt contractionary polciies causing restrictions to economic growth
The aust. govt. has never had a CAD policy in its history, the only thing is the negative perceptions of foreigners in the argument against pitchford, it isnt a speed limit.

Dimplez

HSC
The aust. govt. has never had a CAD policy in its history, the only thing is the negative perceptions of foreigners in the argument against pitchford, it isnt a speed limit.
Strong economic growth leads to a surge in import spending, particurlarly if domestic growth exceeds global growth rates. Thus during periods of strong growth, the BOGS component of the CAD tends to rise, and thus leading to higher CADS. This is known as the 'balance of payments constraints'. This happened in the late 80s, and was a major cause of the 91 recession as the government used excessive contractionary policy to limit growth in cad at that time. Because this happens, High CAD's is regarded as one of the two 'speed limits' on economic growth, the other being inflation.

HSC
Strong economic growth leads to a surge in import spending, particurlarly if domestic growth exceeds global growth rates. Thus during periods of strong growth, the BOGS component of the CAD tends to rise, and thus leading to higher CADS. This is known as the 'balance of payments constraints'. This happened in the late 80s, and was a major cause of the 91 recession as the government used excessive contractionary policy to limit growth in cad at that time. Because this happens, High CAD's is regarded as one of the two 'speed limits' on economic growth, the other being inflation.
Thats a fair point. Would you, however, put that in your essay?

Dimplez

HSC
Thats a fair point. Would you, however, put that in your essay?
I don't think you need to explain all of that in the essay. :)
The examiners will understand the 'eco jargon'- so saying that the CAD can act as a "speed limit" will be fine. If you've got alot of time I don't think it would hurt. Good luck!

Evertonian

HSC
No, do not assume that the markers know what it is, my eco teacher said that you must explain everything to demonstrate your knowledge.

Also since when is CAD a speed limit on economic growth?

Its the opposite way around, where countries with a CAD problem must limit the amount of eco growth as people would be more inclined to spend on imports thus plummeting the CAD even more. Hence, the BALANCE OF PAYMENTS CONSTRAINT.

Freeba

HSC
Also since when is CAD a speed limit on economic growth?

Its the opposite way around, where countries with a CAD problem must limit the amount of eco growth as people would be more inclined to spend on imports thus plummeting the CAD even more. Hence, the BALANCE OF PAYMENTS CONSTRAINT.
yea it would b a constraint when import expenditure is greater than Export sales, where it would take away from AD

AD = C + I+ G+ (X-M)

when u have that being negative u're taking that much away from ur possible growth. and thus it is a constraint on EG.

Evertonian

HSC
yea it would b a constraint when import expenditure is greater than Export sales, where it would take away from AD

AD = C + I+ G+ (X-M)

when u have that being negative u're taking that much away from ur possible growth. and thus it is a constraint on EG.
Oh yeah thats right. thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)