Environmental Targets for the HSC (1 Viewer)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
There has been a lot of changes and discussion of changes in Environmental policy. What are some safe policies which we can talk about if we're asked a question such as,

"Describe ONE environmental target that has influenced Australian environmental management.

spaks1995

HSC
well def carbon tax
but also ETS(emission trading scheme) is a good one

trungduong12

HSC
There has been a lot of changes and discussion of changes in Environmental policy. What are some safe policies which we can talk about if we're asked a question such as,

"Describe ONE environmental target that has influenced Australian environmental management.
Has such question or similar one been asked in the past though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC

The Kyoto Protocol targets are definitely the safest imo (20% reduction of 2000 C02 emission levels). We became a signatory in 2007 when Rudd signed it. It's legally binding too, so it won't be prone to change. In regards to policy, the carbon tax is definitely relevant. You can also demonstrate your knowledge of contemporary issues by stating that its been repealed and we are looking to move towards an ETS.

Last edited:

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
The Kyoto Protocol targets are definitely the safest imo (20% reduction of 2000 C02 emission levels). We became a signatory in 2007 when Rudd signed it. It's legally binding too, so it won't be prone to change. In regards to policy, the carbon tax is definitely relevant. You can also demonstrate your knowledge of contemporary issues by stating that its been repealed and we are looking to move towards an ETS.
Cheers. That's the answer I went with except I talked about the Montreal Protocol instead.

conor2769

HSC
Just don't forget to talk about inter-generational equity (climate change) and biodiversity.

mreditor16

HSC

well def carbon tax
but also ETS(emission trading scheme) is a good one
the future of carbon tax and ETS is too uncertain to be talking about it in a HSC short answer which asks for ONE answer. besides I don't think they are even environmental targets

Just don't forget to talk about inter-generational equity (climate change) and biodiversity.
you can include that, but if you chuck it in for the hell of it, it will be irrelevant and won't reap any rewards. i.e. talk about it if it works with your answer and strengthens it, but the question isn't looking for that.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
the future of carbon tax and ETS is too uncertain to be talking about it in a HSC short answer which asks for ONE answer. besides I don't think they are even environmental targets

you can include that, but if you chuck it in for the hell of it, it will be irrelevant and won't reap any rewards. i.e. talk about it if it works with your answer and strengthens it, but the question isn't looking for that.
what would you consider an environmental target, I realised the answer I wrote down was addressing the question which asked for an international agreement which affects Australia's decision making regarding the environment and what not. Do we just mention the target which comes from the agreement?

Porocue

HSC

then what environmental target would you write about besides the co2 emission reduction from Kyoto?

mreditor16

HSC
what would you consider an environmental target, I realised the answer I wrote down was addressing the question which asked for an international agreement which affects Australia's decision making regarding the environment and what not. Do we just mention the target which comes from the agreement?
then what environmental target would you write about besides the co2 emission reduction from Kyoto?
an environmental target is just a target. a target to reach X before year Y. as simple as that.

back when I did the hsc, I would have talked about the Renewable Energy Target and how it aimed for 20 per cent of Australia’s electricity supply to be sourced from renewable energy sources like solar and wind power. and the target involved reaching this by the year 2020

however, the future of the RET is now in doubt with the election of the Coalition. for info on its future, take a look at this recent news article - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-...oalition-over-renewable-energy-target/5777836

anyway, if I were in your position, I would talk about the RET for a question on environmental targets, and briefly mention its status and future is in doubt but it is still in place.

yep :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)