• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Enzyme Questions (1 Viewer)

lanvins

HSC
1. If you were to do an experiment to graph the effect of various substrate concentrations, would have on reaction rate and concentration of product, how would u describe the graph.
(i know it go up and eventually reaches a plateau, but how would you describe this, i don't know what to say, it needs to be quite extensive?)

2. How would a higher enzyme concentration affect the reaction rate graph?

3. If you were to design a molecule which would reduce the activity of a enzyme what would be the main characteristics of this molecule be?

Thanks guys

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
1. This is a typical hsc question, good ques =)
the substrate concentration affects the enzyme activity, thus increasing the substrate concentration increase the rate of reaction, however this will cease when all the active sites are occupied, so imagine with the lock and key model, even when you keep adding more substrates there will be no active sites to fit these and thus the rate of reaction will remain the same. this is known as the saturation point

2. practically the same question as above. the graph will reach a maximum point (saturation point) in a steep slope and then stay constant. so a higher enzyme concentration above the saturation point would have no effect on the reaction graph, it will just be a straight line.

3. a molecule......?im not sure what you mean becuase i havent done anything like that..but a low/high pH above/below 7, and temperatures below 37 degrees, and low substrate concentrations decrease enzyme activity

trieed my best =/

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
(3) Same size and shape as the substrate that binds to the active site of the particular enzyme, so that it occupies those active sites instead of the substrate :D

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
*Sigh* what? Sooo, if you increase enzyme concentration, the amount of products produced per unit of time increases..yes? Here's what seems to be a rhetorical question in my textbook:
Will there be a change in the total amount of product made?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Tiffanys said:
*Sigh* what? Sooo, if you increase enzyme concentration, the amount of products produced per unit of time increases..yes? Here's what seems to be a rhetorical question in my textbook:
Will there be a change in the total amount of product made?
Only if there's enough substrate for the particular enzyme concentration

If you have heaps more enzymes than you need they'll just be doing nothing wont' they? :D

Tiffanys

Executed member
HSC
Haha wow I just realised what the Q was asking. ie. because enzyme aren't used up in a reaction, dding more enzymes would only increse the rate of reaction , ie products come out faster, but in the end, all of the substrate would be acted on by a certain number of enzymes. right?

alex z

HSC
1the more subsrate conentration the more likely enzymes will bump into their substrate think of it like that, the reaction rate keeps increasing till allactive sites are occupied when more substrate is added th reaction rate increases again and stays stable again when actiitive sites are filled
2 explained above
3 the molecule should include co2 so it can react with h2o in the body which will increase ph. this affects reactivity denaturing the enzyme or chnging theshape slightley making ustrates unable to fit into the reaction area

dalillebpwinces

HSC
N/A
this is very simple and it doesnt realli require a detained response ...just by lookin at the substrate concentration graph u can conclude that...

An increase in substrate concentration will increase the reaction rate untill the active sites are all occupied. the reaction then proceeds at the maximum rate.

u just need to keep in mind that the LIMITING FACTOR here is the active site on the enzyme.

keep in mind specificity of enzymes: that is that each enzyme acts on one substrate onli. because of the shape of the active site which exactly matches the shape of the substrate molecule.

...in ur answer all u need to write is the highlighted para it explains it perfectly

:) hope that helps
n i hope u understand it

lolrofllol

HSC
The rest have been answered ok but:

(2) An increase in enzymes WILL increase the reaction rate if the current enzymes are at saturation point. However, it will again plataeu, as eventually each enzyme active site will be occupied again, assuming there is enough substrate.

If there isn't it will have no effect? The enzymes will catalyse the reaction and the ones not being utilised will have no effect?

Sorry for bump; just wanted to know if this was correct.

HSC
rooeys2 said:
1. This is a typical hsc question, good ques =)
the substrate concentration affects the enzyme activity, thus increasing the substrate concentration increase the rate of reaction, however this will cease when all the active sites are occupied, so imagine with the lock and key model, even when you keep adding more substrates there will be no active sites to fit these and thus the rate of reaction will remain the same. this is known as the saturation point

trieed my best =/
thats good :) thats how our teacher described it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)