• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Equal pay for juveniles? (1 Viewer)

lukakrajnc

HSC
N/A
hey!

I'm doin yr 11 prelim legal studies and we are due to have an oral presentation regarding juvenile as a disadvantaged group.
so i was thinking about ways to show holes in the law which should protect juveniles and I got an idea, but i'm not sure if it is right. So i suppose u guys can help me (bright young legal minds).

is the legislature which granted women or shall i say allegedly grandet equal pay for equal work, also covering juveniles?

anyway, if u can tell me that ASAP it would be appriciated.

Luka

El Misterio

HSC
Re: A serious question!!! I need an answer ASAP

I also have a serious question and need a serious answer ASAP.

Luka, do you live on the second floor?

Season

HSC

Are you talking about how juniors are paid less and that a form of discrimmination...

The answer is no- that specific act doesn't cover juvenile wages, this is the ACT Discrimmination ACT 1991 legislation, but I'm guessing that NSW is similar, it states that

Youth wages (1) This section applies if an award provides for the payment of reduced wages to employees under 21 years old.
(2) If this section applies, section 10 (1) or (2) (a) or (b) does not make it unlawful for an employer to discriminate against a person on the ground of age—
(a) if the person is 21 years old or older—in relation to the offer of employment to a person under 21 years old; or
(b) if the person is under 21 years old—in relation to the payment of reduced wages to the person in accordance with the award.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/act/consol_act/da1991164/s57b.html

lukakrajnc

HSC
N/A

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->El Misterio<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3047201", true); </SCRIPT> wat are u on about?!?

Season thnx for the answer. well i don't mind if it's act, but it's just a good way to show how 21- are treated differently under the law. remember this is yr11, they don't care about details if the law is limited. so yer thnx again<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3047201", true); </SCRIPT>

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

If I follow your post correctly, you're asking whether or not the 'equal pay for equal work' movement successfully championed by women a few generations back also covers juveniles?

'Juvenile' isn't a sex. As such, juvenile women get paid just as much as juvenile men for equal juvenile work. So I suppose the answer to your question is 'yes'.

But no, as pointed out above, juveniles can be paid less than adults quite legitimately. Child slavery was abolished, what on earth more do you want?

lukakrajnc

HSC
N/A
well i don't want anything and if u would read my post u would know that i'm only gathering informations based on juveniles. and yes i don no that juveniles are not sex

circusmind

HSC
Try another topic......paying kids less creates job opportunities.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

El Misterio said:
I also have a serious question and need a serious answer ASAP.

Luka, do you live on the second floor?
Haha --> love the Suzanne Vega reference. Nicely tied into the theme as well (edit: grim though it is). Kudos.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)