Equilibrium q (1 Viewer)

=)(=

HSC
1667195609720.png
Would an increase in temperature also lead to an increase of pressure?

aim for 95+

HSC
rasing temperature pushing reation to the right side and produce more gas hence more preesure(perhaps) :hug2: :hug2:

=)(=

HSC
ohh okay would lcp then kind of account for that shifting the equilibrium to the left a bit?

aim for 95+

HSC
increasing tempeture, so that system will towards the side that absorb heat, because enthpy is bigger than 0 which means forward reaction is endothermic, so that will favour to right side, also right side have more gas ratio so that increasing preesure.(perhaps), my English is terrible I am sorry

=)(=

HSC
increasing tempeture, so that system will towards the side that absorb heat, because enthpy is bigger than 0 which means forward reaction is endothermic, so that will favour to right side, also right side have more gas ratio so that increasing preesure.(perhaps), my English is terrible I am sorry
No it’s fine thank you

wizzkids

HSC
Yes, pressure will increase. There are three factors at play here. (1) Gay-Lussac's Law. If the container has a fixed volume 1 Litre, even if there is no change to the molar ratio of gases, the pressure must increase in accordance with Gay-Lussac's Law. (2) The shift of equilibrium caused by the increase of temperature, as others correctly deduced, will favour the r.h.s. giving more products. (3) Lastly, the mole ratios of gases, 2 moles on the l.h.s. and 4 moles on the r.h.s. This means there is mechanical work done on the system in the forward reaction, which will inhibit the forward reaction somewhat, but pressure will still increase.
Some students may be wondering, if the enthalpy change is so large and positive in the forward reaction, how come the iodine trichloride spontaneously decomposes? Well, the entropy change in the forward reaction is +596 J per K per 2 moles of iodine trichloride. Remember ΔG = 0 when the system reaches equilibrium. Plug this data into the Gibbs Free Energy equation, ΔG = ΔH - TΔS = 0 you can predict roughly the temperature at which this experiment was conducted, and you get around T = 400 K. At 300 K iodine trichloride is a stable solid, it starts to decompose at 340 K.

Last edited:

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
View attachment 36910
Wait what does this mean?
Basically saying that eqm is independent of either direction where it's approached

for example if I have a reversible reaction n2 + 3h2 -> 2nh3 and i start with the forward direction it will reach eqm, but similarly if i start with the reverse reaction it will reach eqm as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)