Equipment? (1 Viewer)

joekiely

HSC
Well no one has started anything here so i may aswell...

what equipment are you using for filming/editing etc.?
im trying to get my hands on a 3CCD camera... HD preferably!

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
I have access to a Sony HDRHC1 and also a Sony HDRFX1
and i'm using Final Cut Pro as my editing software

joekiely

HSC
ambidextrouscal said:
I have access to a Sony HDRHC1 and also a Sony HDRFX1
and i'm using Final Cut Pro as my editing software
wow thats so cool!!
ive only got a DV cam... and my docco is mainly shot in green screen,((home set up...) and an HD camera would be ideal... but theres no way i can get my hands on one! Your very lucky!! how did you get one??

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
I saved up and bought myself the HDRHC1 and the local film school has 3xHDRFX1 which i have access to if i need them.

joekiely

HSC
wow thats awesome!
very lucky that your school has one.. how much better is the quality?? can you send me a screen shot??

krugerfilm

HSC
I am using Pinnacle 9 PLUS to edit.
I use Final Cut Pro, but only when I need to edit film.
If you're editing video there is no difference in options between Final Cut Pro and Pinnacle - except that Pinnacle is cheaper.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I'm just using a standard Sony HandyCam (not sure of the model) and using Final Cut Express HD for my editing. Wish I could get my hands on a copy of Pro though, but it costs a bajillion bucks for the bundle.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Can you get FCP without the entire Final Cut Studio package? Otherwise I can't, I don't have that kind of money.

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
my friend used iMovie last yr and got 50/50 so dont think its all down to the software, its the content of your film HOW you using the simple editing that is important

pungemo

HSC
True, the software doesn't guarantee you a good mark, but it does make the job somewhat easier. I'm working in Machinima so I won't be using conventional film techniques (i.e. camera work), but I will be using the software. I am using Sibelius, Audacity, Creative Wave Studio and Audition for sound (depending on the task). I am using Pinnacle Studio 9 and Premiere for video editing. You can get this software alot cheaper off eBay (if you're careful about piracy). I also found an awesome site for getting educational versions of software in Australia. Try out http://www.educationsoftware.com.au/ for some high quality legal software from companies like Adobe.

cblok

HSC
Uni Grad
There's a reason why people still watch those old classic films today and its not because of the image quality.

Story, story, story! It is an english piece and will be judged accordingly. None the less, a nice image does look pretty :)

If you plan your shots nicely and light the set properly you can get brilliant shots out of most digital cameras. 3CCDs won't make up for poorly lit and composed shots.

The minimum you would want is a digital camera, tripod, firewire connection to the computer and a computer editing suite.

For optimum images, grab a 3CCD camera (Panasonic makes a brilliant one called the GS-400 for about $2000, there are also lower models), a fluid head tripod, an external microphone (preferrably on a boom pole) and an editing suite such as adobe premiere or final cut pro. A fluid head tripod will set you back about $300 and a decent mic will cost about $200.

If money's tight (which is probably will be). Spend it on the camera and the external microphone. Sound is probably just as if not more important than image quality.

Things to take into account. Forget about High Definition. Its too expensive and DVDs are only Standard Defintion so you lose that extra quality as soon as it is put onto DVD (or VHS).

Don't buy JVC. They break.

Christiaan Blok

Extension 2 English Video Tutoring & Workshopping
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/writersblokproductions/Tutoring.htm
writers_blok_productions@hotmail.com

pungemo

HSC
cblok is right, many people undervalue sound and music. These two elements often contribute much more to the atmosphere of a film than anything you can do with video. If you have ever examined film in English or externally you may have encountered an exercise in which the music is altered. Watching a drag race is somewhat different when Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies is playing in the background.

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
Too many people disregard the importance of sound quality and foley.
Its not just the soundtrack you choose for a film, its also the way you use it, the extra foley you edit into the film and the quality of the recorded sound.
Over looking all sound aspects majorly reduces the quality of any film project.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If you want true sound-manipulation may I suggest Logic Audio or Steinberg Cubase or Pro Tools ;)

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
Before racing out to buy FCP or even Adobe (yuck) make sure your Mac can handle such software - if possible, max out the RAM in your computer or have at least 1 - 2GB available for the editing software to work smoothly. Also, hard drive space - these projects, despite being only 8minutes, take up a lot of space when yu think of the footage/music etc you will be capturing and working with cutting down to that 8 minutes.
An external HD (Maxtor) is a great idea to back up your work over the year.
Always/
Make
Digital
BACKUPS!!!

pungemo

HSC
I have 2Gb of RAM and 550Gb of Hard drive space available for this work. I also have it stored on a second computer and a web server, just in case. My last computer having exploded in a cloud of smoke (literally) I know how important it is to backup.

ambidextrouscal

Learning to be Witty
HSC
My M.W. is currently 41GB (mainly due to high definition footage) and not all filming has been completed yet, but its so so so important to create multiple copies of what you have ... i advise everyone to get their hands on either an external drive (as someone said before, i would recomend Maxter) or have access to a second computer with the same editing software.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)