equity traders (1 Viewer)

HSC
just a query from what i have read around the place to get into trading you generally need a strong mathematical background. would doing a maths and finance degree be good to get into trading and are there many trader jobs going around
thanks in advance

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
No-ones probably read Liar's Poker, and I think most people browsing here have not worked in an ibank, hence the lack of recognition of the joke.

For all the noobs: Equities in Dallas refers to the job no-one wants. It's 'equities' in 'Dallas' - first of all equities is at the lower end of the food chain, and 'dallas' is well...a backwater. In the book, it was the job that no-one wanted, so whenever someone stuffed up in training, people whispered 'equities in dallas.'

I guess you could change the saying to DCM in New York these days.

Rorix

HSC
Just because you understand a joke doesn't mean you think its funny.

RIZAL

HSC
wookie skimmer said:
just a query from what i have read around the place to get into trading you generally need a strong mathematical background. would doing a maths and finance degree be good to get into trading and are there many trader jobs going around
thanks in advance
OK to answer your question:

Yes, a maths and finance degree is a good option. Make sure you do very well in the degree, aim at doing honours, follow the markets, enter trading games, trade your own account, go on exchange to MIT, choose a particular sector and start a blog about the markets.

No there are not a lot of trader jobs going around. So train to beat the best.

HSC
thans for the reply it is much appreciated anyone know what major banks/companies are heavily involved in trading?

RIZAL

HSC
wookie skimmer said:
thans for the reply it is much appreciated anyone know what major banks/companies are heavily involved in trading?
To get you started:

Ibanks: macquarie, ubs, deutsche et al
retail banks: Commonwealth, NAB, Westpac et al
market makers: optiver, etrade et al
hedge funds and pseudo hedge funds: platinum asset management, PM capital, AMP capital et al

HSC
thank you yet again
tell me if wrong but i assume hedge funds wouldn't take grad traders
also would the business cadetships that are being offered at westpac etc offer trading or similar or not
thanks yet again

HSC
wait just read on their websites that they do have graduate programs forget i even asked

RIZAL

HSC
wookie skimmer said:
wait just read on their websites that they do have graduate programs forget i even asked
I think at this point you should be concentrating on dominating the HSC (especially Ext 2 math). Also read these books:

- When Genius Failed (the Rise and Fall of long term capital management)
- Liars Poker
- Rogue Trader

Start trading play money and learn a few things about the market. Don't just restrict yourself to straight equities - the big money is in derivatives trading, and not just equities.

If there are concepts that you don't understand, just post here and get it cleared up. You will be miles ahead of other people your age if you start getting serious about this now.

Last edited:

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
RIZAL said:
I think at this point you should be concentrating on dominating the HSC (especially Ext 2 math). Also read these books:

- When Genius Failed (the Rise and Fall of long term capital management)
- Liars Poker
- Rogue Trader

Start trading play money and learn a few things about the market. Don't just restrict yourself to straight equities - the big money is in derivatives trading, and not just equities.

If there are concepts that you don't understand, just post here and get it cleared up. You will be miles ahead of other people your age if you start getting serious about this now.
You're advising someone doing their HSC to start trading derivatives with play money?

What planet do you live on?

RIZAL

HSC
geetarjoe said:
You're advising someone doing their HSC to start trading derivatives with play money?

What planet do you live on?

Last edited:

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
RIZAL said:
Your incredulousness would probably be shared by many in Oz and is hence forgiveable. In small time Sydney, we are well removed from the noise and chatter of London, NYC and Tokyo. The worlds best traders are predominantly found in just a few select locations worldwide. Aussies simply aren't aware of the multi million dollar bonuses that young, savvy traders are pulling in with frightening consistency.

If Wookie wants to become a trader, I see no problem with learning about derivatives 12 months earlier than everyone else. In an industry where having an edge is everything, the ability to display your own edge goes a hell of a long way. Say he makes an industry contact during Year 12 or first year uni - he is much more likely to capitalize and leverage that contact if he can price an option using the Black Scholes formula and talk about the latest contribution to his P&L.

In London and the US there are plenty of young prodigy traders that end up getting snapped up by IBs. If Wookie wanted to intern at a bulge bracket bank in HK or Tokyo, he would have a lot of trouble competing against the target unis of Oxbridge, Wharton, MIT, Harvard etc. Hence he needs to start working hard now.
You haven't been on a trading floor have you?

Edit: PS: you'd better already have a job in a bank, because you sound like a squeezer.

RIZAL

HSC
geetarjoe said:
You haven't been on a trading floor have you?

Edit: PS: you'd better already have a job in a bank, because you sound like a squeezer.

Last edited:
HSC
no trust me i am following your advice cause i do understand the difficulty in getting a job in trading. what exactly is derivatives trading is it futures? and yeah i wasn't intending on sticking only to equities i just figured i would get a better response then just traders etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)