Error in 2002 Independent Paper (1 Viewer)

Dario

HSC
In question 12 of the multiple choice, it asks about a girl going to a computer shop and buying computer hardware abnd software and what stage of the System Development Cycle is this. The suggested marking guidelines say "D. Implementing" but the actual answer is "C. Designing." Check your papers and see if you can get an extra mark !

Nelly

Get over it Dario, we all know ur gonna come first in the state for IPT, so just drop it.

Dario

HSC
What ... it's a good comment that helps other people to get more marks. Nelly, I thought you were feeling confident of coming first ?

natalie

whoa first in the state. i would never EVER get that.
and u to r batteling it out for the top spot.
good luck guys! and if either of u get it make sure
u post something on here

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Dario, the following response was posted on a computing studies mailing list -

The answer IS D, the new system must be designed BEFORE "she goes and purchases a new computer and monitor" so "she" is implementing the designed solution.

(Paul Verstegen, Winmalee High School)

bellicoseboy

I do agree that the answer is clearly 'D'.

And I will post this question and its incorrect answer, that went something like:

When using webmail, where is the email stored before it downloaded by the recipient?
A. The sender's computer
B. The receiver's computer
C. An intermediate computer
D. The Internet Service Provider's computer

They say the answer is D. But it ain't.

Alex

It is D mate. When you open microsoft outlook it is receiving the emails from your isp whatever it might be. Do not assume email to be anything like the hotmails and stuff because hotmail is no what they are testing you on but rather the real email applications.

bellicoseboy

Webmail, by definition, is email accessable through the world wide web, ie. hotmail and yahoo and such services. There may be only POP mail mentioned in the syllabus, and if so, therein lies another fault in the IPT course. Teachers and top students in my class agree that the answer is C.

Dario

HSC
Thanks, Natalie ! By the way, I think Nabil was joking when he said I would get first in the state. Also, I'm not sure if I got first spot, but I sure beat Nabil by a full 11 marks ! heheheheh.

Lazarus -- > Our teacher checked the Board Of Studies syllabus for IPT, and he ended up agreeing with me. The purchase of computer hardware and software takes place at the end of the Designing Solutions stage, according to Heinemann IPT book also. The Implementing stage is when the new system is actually delivered to the participants, and this is analogous to the girl installing the new computer in her home.

So, what do you think ? Still the 'Implementing' stage ? Where does it say that in any textbooks ? I would like to know before the HSC !

Thanks,
Dario

Originally posted by natalie
whoa first in the state. i would never EVER get that.
and u to r batteling it out for the top spot.
good luck guys! and if either of u get it make sure
u post something on here

Alex

Yes, but has anyone found webmail in the syllabus. I haven't so from what I know regardless of whether webmail is email accesible over the public internet you cannot ask that question in the HSC as it is not in the syllabus as a term you should know (to the best of my knowledge).

Ahh.. I shouldnt argue, after the trials I dropped from 2nd in my school out of 39 to 10th. FFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA**********

bellicoseboy

well i'm like 1st in ipt... so like... whoa i'm so good... check me out...

*flex*
*flex*

of course, i suck in everything else. hmm.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Is your teacher Matthew Johnson, by any chance?

Here were a few of the other responses.

Paul,
on page 34 of the IPT syllabus under the heading of Designing Solutions in the Learn About column it states "acquiring information technology and making it operational". It was this statement that lead me in this direction. Also on page 105 in GK Powers IPT preliminary book. Paragraph 2 and 3.
Regards
Matt

(Chris Morris)
My understanding is that in Designing solutions, the systems analyst acquires hardware specifications and in the implementation phase the hardware is bought based on the Feasibility Analysis....I would agree with the suggested answer "D"

Matt,
Yes it does - but how can it be made operational in the designing stage IF in the syllabus you don't decide on the method for conversion until the implementation stage? I would consider the syllabus a bit illogical in this regard.
Cheers,
Paul

implementing

* an implementation plan that details:
- participant training
- the method for conversion
- how the system will be tested
- conversion to the new system

There were more, but I can't find them right now - sorry.

Dario

HSC
No, I go to Smith's Hill High and my teacher is Mr O'Connor.

Yes, I also found that part in the IPT syllabus that says that Designing Solutions includes "acquiring information technology and making it operational"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)