Error on Startup (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Well, my laptop was working fine yesterday but suddenly when I try to startup today I get the "We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully..." message and no matter what option I choose I get the blue screen and:

"Stop: c0000218{registry file failure}

The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\system32\Config\SYSTEM

Beginning dump of physical memory"

I can't start it in safe mode either. I've tried a google search for a solution but I didn't understand anything that was said. :confused: My laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM drive or any installation CDs, but I remember reading that there was something for recovery kept in a section of the harddrive.

Can anyone help me based on this information? Please?!

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
that memory dump I have heard is like ( okay im going to try and say it as best I can ) "the memory the computer uses for the next process". K nerds dont hurt me, just trying to help.

I got this error atleast 3 times a day on my old computer, and apparently it is usually due to faulty memory ( ram ) sticks. it can be damaged when its put in, but the error wont come up immediately. get fresh ram, especially if it is under warranty.

a laptop without a cd rom drive? how old is this thing? :p

If you do manage to get it to start, format and create a seperate partition soley for ure physical memory dump ( which u can change the size of ). the ms help site I believe have a how to guide on that.

K nerds, fire away. thats my two cents, please dont hurt them :p

Lainee

HSC
^ It's not quite that it's old, I just wanted an ultra-lightweight laptop so I chose one that didn't have an optical drive to lighten the load (since I didn't think I needed one anyway...) I was going to purchase an external hard drive but never got around to it.

Anyway, I tried all I could to fix it (which was not much since I don't know much about fixing computers :) ) I'm going to have to send it to a service centre. They're probably going to wipe my hard drive (all my precious notes!)

I can't even back up because I can't actually get INTO windows to do it. Man... I hate dependency on technology.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Lainee said:
My laptop doesn't have a CD-ROM drive or any installation CDs, but I remember reading that there was something for recovery kept in a section of the harddrive.
Does ur laptop have a floppy drive instead?

It gets pretty much hopeless if you don't have any other drives what so ever, the only way to recover information is to access your hard disk from another working computer.

sunny

meh.
HSC
If your laptop is relatively new, and the recovery partition you were talking about exists, theres usually some key you press during startup, when you get the manufacturer logo or the bootup tests that gets you into the recovery console.

But they usually just wipe your disk and reinstall everything to when you first got your laptop.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Haha tell me about it. Trying to do an assignment in year 12 and getting that error come up.... *smashes computer*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)