ES4 - Oblivion (1 Viewer)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
The Facts

- Next Iteration in the Elder Scrolls Series
- Developed by Bethesda Softworks
- In Development Since 2002
- Release Date remains TBA (long history of delays in this series)
- In development for PC and Next Gen Consoles

Series Improvements
- Game will retain the open ended structure but objectives will be much clearer than in Morrowind
- NPC characters now have full 24/7 schedules and more defined personalities
- Deeper and more interactive combat engine
- State of the art 3d engine
- Game design allows you to deal with quests and situations in a way that reflects your character's abilities (stealth, magic, combat)
- Rideable mounts

From The Developer's Mouth

"Oblivion is a single-player game that takes place in Tamriel's capital province, Cyrodiil. You are given the task of finding the hidden heir to a throne that sits empty, the previous emperor having been killed by an unknown assassin. With no true Emperor, the gates to Oblivion (the equivalent of hell in the world of Tamriel) open, and demons begin to invade Cyrodiil and attack its people and towns. It's up to you to find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.

In keeping with the Elder Scrolls tradition, players will have the option to experience the main quest at their own pace, and there will be plenty of opportunities to explore the vast world and make your own way. Numerous factions can be joined, such as the thieves or mages guilds, and each contains its own complete storyline and the chance to rise to the head of the faction and reap further rewards.

Oblivion features a groundbreaking new AI system, called Radiant AI, which gives non-player characters (NPCs) the ability to make their own choices based on the world around them. They'll decide where to eat or who to talk to and what they'll say. They'll sleep, go to church, and even steal items, all based on their individual characteristics. Full facial animations and lip-synching, combined with full speech for all dialog, allows NPCs to come to life like never before."

What The Press are Saying

"Offers a new hope for the RPG, and may well signal the arrival of the next sea change in the genre." - PC Gamer

"Oblivion is another leap forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and cutting-edge graphics" - IGN

"Oblivion is an amazing harbinger of things to come because the Oblivion team is using their power to create not just spectacle, but a believable world in which to experience that spectacle. With this game as an indication of what the next generation of consoles is capable of, the future of gaming is brighter than anyone believed possible." - Gamespy

Screenshots (I dont know why the pics wont properly image-ify)

Links

Bethesda Softworks
The Official Elder Scrolls Website
IGN's Gamespace for the Game (includes developer interview)

Last edited:

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
Has the release date for ES4: Oblivion been announced for Australia yet?

IGN have it listed as the 25th of November 2005 for America.

Or would it release in Australia on the 25th as well?

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
Damn, I didn't realise it was that soon, I can't wait.

Don't forget, Bethesda are developing Fallout 3. It should be out some time next year. If any other developer handled the game, I'd be worried but with Bethesda's pedigree, I am optimistic. :gridnod:

wyndchymz

HSC
I'm just glad it's not been released before the HSC. As a devoted Morrowind fan I would have been forced to shrug off my exams and go play Oblivion instead. I would have had no choice in the matter.

HSC
Should give me just enough time for a much-needed upgrade on the gaming system here! The last quarter releases this year seem to be incredibly strong. Maybe it's just that I'm getting more and more busy and as a result all games (Which I don't often have time to play) are looking increasingly good, but so far I've seen a lot of stuff recently which looks fantastic :)

Last edited:

Demandred

HSC
I need a bloody upgrade to play this :/. Morrowind and its expansion packs were awesome, I can't wait.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Bethesda is certainly on my radar ATM. Not only are they making a sequal to Morrowind (and trying to improve it rather than milk it, it would appear)... BUT THEY ARE ALSO MAKING FALLOUT 3!

HSC
GaDaMIt said:
Oblivion isn't a sequel to Morrowind.. they've made that pretty clear on the official site - www.elderscrolls.com...
But with it being the next installation in the Elder Scrolls series, it's a sequel in that it follows after it in the range of games, despite not being a continuation of the story. Sort of a pedantic distinction to draw.

Kaiser Zero

Banned
HSC
TES IV looks like the best game ever (In the realm of non-DOOM gaming)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)