N/A
let z= x+iy,

Im(z)= y

|z|= (sqrt)(x^2 + y^2)

y^2= x^2+y^2

x^2=0

x=0

why is this wrong? i thought you could square both sides? :\
You can but it adds another solution which covers the negative part of the imaginary axis. This is of course not valid because the modulus is a positive number.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You can but it adds another solution which covers the negative part of the imaginary axis. This is of course not valid because the modulus is a positive number.
Sometimes referred to as the (or 'an') extraneous solution if my memory serves me correctly.

school4nerds

HSC
guys, im trying to integrate 1/sqrt(36-x^2) and i got 1/6 times inverse sin(x/6) but apperently its only inverse sin(x/6) w/o the 1/6? can someone please explain why? D: thanks :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
guys, im trying to integrate 1/sqrt(36-x^2) and i got 1/6 times inverse sin(x/6) but apperently its only inverse sin(x/6) w/o the 1/6? can someone please explain why? D: thanks :)
Please make a separate thread to ask this question, rather than hijacking somebody else's (now dead) thread.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There is no 1/6. The only integral in the HSC that appears with 1/constant attached to it is the inverse tangent integral.

If we look at the inverse sine integral,

Compare this with the tangent integral,

school4nerds

HSC
There is no 1/6. The only integral in the HSC that appears with 1/constant attached to it is the inverse tangent integral.

If we look at the inverse sine integral,

Compare this with the tangent integral,

thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)