ESL people do not despair!! (1 Viewer)

AAAAAA

HSC
N/A
i heard that a lot of people who's doing esl ending up getting UAI of around 95 (providing they are really good at math and science)so i think that if you just try your best, even if you are in esl you might still beat some cocky fools in advanced (or ext 1 and 2) in term of UAI.!!

Last edited:

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I know that this family friend's son did ESL, and he ended up with a TER of 98+

Isn't a band 6 in ESL actually better than a band 4/5 in Standard? (hardly anyone gets band 5 in standard anyway...)

jzi

HSC
dont think u nd u 2 prove dat u haf been in australia for less den 5 yrs..
coz.. ma friend studied in australia since yr 4 n she can still do esl... = =""

MarsBarz

HSC
Right.

Two years ago some guy at my school got a UAI of 100. One of his subjects was ESL. So don't give us that misinformed bullshit.

1% of ESL students get band 6. So do your research before posting such crap.

And why can't you do esl and be a cocky bastard? I am.

MarsBarz

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
I know that this family friend's son did ESL, and he ended up with a TER of 98+

Isn't a band 6 in ESL actually better than a band 4/5 in Standard? (hardly anyone gets band 5 in standard anyway...)
Um wrong.
Very few people have ever received a band 6 in standard. Lots of people get band 5's pff...
But anyway, ESL is superior to standard in terms of scaling.

ryanscor_11

HSC
Do u think

do guys think that esl will be an appropriate course to do medicine...Coz i have checked with UNSW they said ESL is not recomended but this does not prevent the applicant from applying for the course.They also said that esl student might be disadvantge during the selection process.

what u guys think??????

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
MarsBarz said:
Um wrong.
Very few people have ever received a band 6 in standard. Lots of people get band 5's pff...
But anyway, ESL is superior to standard in terms of scaling.
Okay cocky bastard, tell me what I got wrong?

MarsBarz

HSC
You claimed that hardly anyone gets a band 5 in standard which is completely false.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Let me clarify a few things

Comparing similar marks, say 85 in ESL and 85 in standard, the scaling of Standard is better. You cannot compare a Band 6 in ESL and a Band 4/5 in Standard. Bands are used to evaluate students' performance against the EXPECTED OUTCOMES of the course. Scaling is used to compare students' performance against OTHER students.

Please have a look at the BOS UAI estimation program for both courses.

ryanscor_11, I am not sure if you will be disadvantaged during the selection process for medicine. If you do well in the Interview, I think any ESL student will have a fair chance of getting accepted.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Survivor39 said:
Comparing similar marks, say 85 in ESL and 85 in standard, the scaling of Standard is better. You cannot compare a Band 6 in ESL and a Band 4/5 in Standard. Bands are used to evaluate students' performance against the EXPECTED OUTCOMES of the course. Scaling is used to compare students' performance against OTHER students.

Please have a look at the BOS UAI estimation program for both courses.
Yes, I am aware of all of that :) When I said 'a band 6 in ESL is better than a band 4/5 in Standard', that was based on the results I got after I punched some figures into JUAIseek. An aligned 80 in Standard got a scaled mark of 71.4, whereas an aligned 90 in ESL got scaled to 91.4. I think, even if JUAIseek is off by a little bit, it is evident that 'a band 6 in ESL is better than a band 4/5 in Standard'.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
Yes, I am aware of all of that :) When I said 'a band 6 in ESL is better than a band 4/5 in Standard', that was based on the results I got after I punched some figures into JUAIseek. An aligned 80 in Standard got a scaled mark of 71.4, whereas an aligned 90 in ESL got scaled to 91.4. I think, even if JUAIseek is off by a little bit, it is evident that 'a band 6 in ESL is better than a band 4/5 in Standard'.
Well... Obviously a band 6 scaled mark would be better than a Band 4/5 in standard...

Even at the performance band level, a band 6 student in any course would have achieved most, if not all of the expected outcomes.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Yeah, I was kinda stating the obvious there. But, each year the top 1-2% in ESL get a band 6 whereas the top 1-2% in Standard get a band 5 ( in 2001 only the top 0.35% got that). I think the way the Board aligns the marks makes getting above 80 in Standard extremely difficult. According to JUAIseek, an 83 in ESL scales better than an 80 in Standard. I believe it is easier to achieve an 83 in ESL (even though I have done neither of the courses).

So, I stand by my argument that people who have been here for less than 5 years should either do ESL or Advanced :)

pisci

shoegazor
HSC
many ppl still do esl even they've been in au for more than 5yrs,dats very unfair to that who just arrive in au,aren't they?!

soudy

HSC
ESL students get hi UAI because they study
they better in maths because they probebly done it in their own country

so stop being jelous
if u want a high UAI sit down and start studying instead of complaining

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
pisci said:
many ppl still do esl even they've been in au for more than 5yrs,dats very unfair to that who just arrive in au,aren't they?!
i did esl in year 10 and i have been here all my life
but i did it to get out of class
eventually they caught on i was rather proficient in the english language
and i had to go...:(

VQ

HSC
Yep...don't despair coz my school is doing ESL and we had like 26 ppl having UAI >90 (incl. 3 getting >99, a couple of 98, 97, 96)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)