ESL Vs Standard (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Its because ESL students are more motivated and get better marks in other subjects which makes ESL scale higher than Standard? Thats not fair either.
If I'm more motivated than most ESL and get better marks than they do, does that mean i should be still stuck with a crappy scaling subject?

Sorry if my tone sounds angry

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Go and read through all of the documents on scaling on the UAC website and any others you can find (we have explained it in numerous threads already) and figure out what the true purpose of scaling is - WHY it is done.

Then when you have an understanding of the system you can make your accusations.

Sorry if my tone sounds angry.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
so why aren't you doing standard or advanced?
why would i do standard or advanced if i am eligible to do ESL and thus do less work while getting a desirable scaled mark?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
Its because ESL students are more motivated and get better marks in other subjects which makes ESL scale higher than Standard? Thats not fair either.
stop complaining and accept the reality. (in a neutural tone)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
huh? i thought if you were doing standard it was meant to be pretty damn impossible to get anything above a band4...and i presumed esl would be even lower..maybe you were looking at the extension classes?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Its pretty hard for a person doing standard to even get a Band 5. Around 1% get Band 5s.

I dunno about ESL now. From the scaling table that UAC released it seems as though ESL students are better off but Laz says its not as it seems.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
huh? i thought if you were doing standard it was meant to be pretty damn impossible to get anything above a band4...and i presumed esl would be even lower..maybe you were looking at the extension classes?
erm....go back to sleep

I dunno about ESL now. From the scaling table that UAC released it seems as though ESL students are better off but Laz says its not as it seems.
i think around 2% gets Band 6 and over 10% gets band 5 in ESL

Golani

Survivor39 don't be so cocky man.....seriously...

And a band 6 is not impossible in any subject, including standard english......if people get band 6 in ext 2 maths, latin and other crazy subjects then surely standard isn't so impossible...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Golani
Survivor39 don't be so cocky man.....seriously...
i am NOT!! it's just some insensity people that think we, as ESLers, learns stuffs like A B Cs and the alphabets... which pisses me off very much. it's like saying general maths learns about 1+1=2, which is not true. you are from ESL Golani, you know what i mean.

Golani

hahah yeah i do know all too good....
but when i get my uai i'll laugh at all of them.....you know your own worth, so does your teacher, probably so do your classmates....what more than that do you need? ;)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
what more can i ask for? hoping there is no band 6 for another year in standard! just kidding.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Wait. Could Laz be talking about how maybe the aligned marks for ESL seem to be better than Standard's but in the UAI scaling it might be different and Standard might come up on top?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
*sigh*... does it mean I have been made to drop down to the wrong level!? I was doing Advanced in year 11 and at the end of the year I got an assessment mark which was the second highest(not the overall ranking). HOWEVER, my english teachers suggested me to drop back to Standard due to my occasional ESL problems (mind you, I'm eligible to do the ESL course). *sigh* I'm planning to work my bum off, and I really do mean it, to get as high as possible in Standard now.. Is there a chance for me to get into band 6..? (Don't discourage me.. just say something comforting if that's not possible)

Golani

ROFL.....mito, you were ranked 2nd in advance at the end of year 11 and you dropped to standard?................WHY....just coz your teachers didn't want an esl student in advance.....

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mitochondria
*sigh*... does it mean I have been made to drop down to the wrong level!? *sigh* I'm planning to work my bum off, and I really do mean it, to get as high as possible in Standard now.. Is there a chance for me to get into band 6..? (Don't discourage me.. just say something comforting if that's not possible)
if you did really well (in terms of school assessments and HSC) i don't see why not... its just in the past, most good students moved to Advanced course, so the not-so-good ones stayed in Standard, and never got their band 6s. But that's not saying it is impossible to get a band 6 in Standard.

Although, in retrospect, my friend, and in my opinion, you shouldn't have dropped advanced.

Golani

absolutely i agree with bridget :p advance is much more rewarding for your efforts!!

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

its just in the past, most good students moved to Advanced course, so the not-so-good ones stayed in Standard
Can you move from Standard to Advanced at the end of yr11?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Can you move from Standard to Advanced at the end of yr11?
no

and to biological mitochondria:), why don't you just drop one more level to ESL? *sigh* what a waste of talent

hmm....maybe i should change my nickname to Endoplasmic reticulum :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)