• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Essay - Australia's immigration policy (1 Viewer)

farahnaz

HSC
Does anyone have any ideas???:confused:

Or know what the question actually means?????

In its overblown response to the unauthorised arrival of asylum-seekers, Australia has adopted some of the most radical and draconian measures of any country in the industrialised world, setting terrible precedents that threaten to undermine the system of refugee protection worldwide”
Rory Mungoven, quoted in Horrigan, p.307

Wedecide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come.” PM Howard campaigning for Federal election 2001

Critically examine the operation of Australia’s immigration policy from the Tampa incident to the current day. Does it matter that Australia has ignored international human rights obligations? Should a nation be able to enact legislation that excludes refugees in this way? Is it possible to balance border protection with a humane refugee program?

banco55

HSC
Re: Legal HELP

LOL and who says that unis and colleges aren't full of biased teachers.

hYperTrOphY

HSC

There is nothing wrong with lecturers having an opinion. It only becomes a problem when they don't allow student to develop their own perspective. This question, in my opinoin, provides scope to argue either side.

Granted, the teachings throughout the semester have probably been one-sided, and I would be confident that almost every student will argue the same perspective - that which has probably been driven into them all semester.

To the thread starter, how can you not know what the question is asking? Haven't you been studying immigration law/policy?? What unit is this assignment for?

The question encompasses three questions that should be answered in order to 'Critically examine the operation of Australia’s immigration policy'. Moreover, you should probably make reference to the above quotes.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

farahnaz said:
Does anyone have any ideas???:confused:

Or know what the question actually means?????

In its overblown response to the unauthorised arrival of asylum-seekers, Australia has adopted some of the most radical and draconian measures of any country in the industrialised world, setting terrible precedents that threaten to undermine the system of refugee protection worldwide”
Rory Mungoven, quoted in Horrigan, p.307

Wedecide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come.” PM Howard campaigning for Federal election 2001

Critically examine the operation of Australia’s immigration policy from the Tampa incident to the current day. Does it matter that Australia has ignored international human rights obligations? Should a nation be able to enact legislation that excludes refugees in this way? Is it possible to balance border protection with a humane refugee program?
Have you actually attended any of your classes? Have you done any readings?

I fail to see how you could have no ideas, or not be able to understand the question? If you are having trouble even grasping that question you should really be approaching your teacher for help.

Xytech

HSC
N/A

yeah agree, i'm first year law doing nothing to do with immigration yet it makes perfect sense to me...

banco55

HSC

hYperTrOphY said:
There is nothing wrong with lecturers having an opinion. It only becomes a problem when they don't allow student to develop their own perspective. This question, in my opinoin, provides scope to argue either side.

Granted, the teachings throughout the semester have probably been one-sided, and I would be confident that almost every student will argue the same perspective - that which has probably been driven into them all semester.

To the thread starter, how can you not know what the question is asking? Haven't you been studying immigration law/policy?? What unit is this assignment for?

The question encompasses three questions that should be answered in order to 'Critically examine the operation of Australia’s immigration policy'. Moreover, you should probably make reference to the above quotes.
I think reading the question it's pretty clear what the "correct" answer is if you want to get good marks.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

write how awesome it is also reference keith windschuttle constantly

wheredanton

Retired
HSC

banco55 said:
I think reading the question it's pretty clear what the "correct" answer is if you want to get good marks.
I think you don't get it.

I have not come accross a lecturer or teacher that gives higher marks to people because they argue a point of view they agree with. Sometimes arguing against the quote, like the above, better demonstrates your skill.

Despite my personal views I would argue against the quote. I think I'd get a better mark. To agree with it would be to aline your argument with hyperbole, once you get stuck in that corner you are probably going to sound like 40 other essays.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

MoonlightSonata said:
Have you actually attended any of your classes? Have you done any readings?

I fail to see how you could have no ideas, or not be able to understand the question? If you are having trouble even grasping that question you should really be approaching your teacher for help.
i just realised something. the thread-starter is not a uni student (if her HSC is 2007). methinks this may be a HSC social science or similar question.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Frigid said:
i just realised something. the thread-starter is not a uni student (if her HSC is 2007). methinks this may be a HSC social science or similar question.
I see

Well I'm moving this thread there. The type of help needed is not specific to law

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)