Essay feedback (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
‘Journeys Lead To Greater Understanding’ Argue this statement

The journey leads to greater understanding of the world surrounding us. Journeys improve our knowledge about things that will enrich our lives and will inform us of the benefits of journeys for mankind. Peter Skrzynecki’s ‘Crossing The Red Sea’ and ‘Migrant Hostel’ from Immigrant Chronicle and as well as ‘Journeys Over Land And Sea’ by the Smithsonian website and ‘A Horse With No Name’ by America explore the ways journeys can lead to this. The composers of these texts use various techniques in order to effectively improve their audience’s understanding.

JourneysOverLand And Sea’ is an article by The Smithsonian website that explains the benefits of journeys centuries ago, how they helped future generations. The reason pioneers embarked on a journey back then was to “Primarily expand land and sea” so that knowledge can be gained about new areas of the world. Another reason for taking journeys back then was to improve scientific knowledge with artifacts and artistic discoveries. The composer uses a factual tone e.g. “navigation” and “pioneer” to create the sense of a physical journey to improve the audience’s knowledge about the nature of journeys. Libraries currently hold information about these types of journeys so that future generations can understand the significance of journeys in terms of how we can learn from other people’s travels. An image that is included in the article informs us about how pioneers back then used stars to guide them on their voyages. The composer does this to inform people about the methods of navigation to improve understanding about the history of voyages. An image of a sea monster is also used to convey meaning. It portrays that there were many obstacles that the pioneers faced while traveling. This indicates for individuals that there can be many obstacles to overcome while on a journey. The Smithsonian website has appropriately used language and visual techniques in order to improve understanding.

‘A Horse With No Name’ is a song written and performed by an American rock band called America that depicts the benefits a person can gain whilst on a journey and obstacles that individuals could come across. This song also proves that the journey matters more than the destination. ‘Plants and rocks and things’ shows that the person has realised the arrival point is similar to the starting point therefore the important thing is the physical movement of the singer/rider through the desert on the horse with no name and the emotional and spiritual benefits as a result of this movement. The composer uses a conversational tone, a series of ‘la la la la la’ in keeping with the pop/rock genre so that a larger audience can understand the journey that is taking place and can learn the benefits. The desert is a metaphor of an obstacle. The band wants to demonstrate the persistence of human nature in overcoming obstacles on a journey, the desert is a very harsh place. The chorus of this song summarises the positive outlook on the emotional and spiritual benefits of a physical journey ‘I’ve been through the desert on a horse with no name, it felt good to be out of the rain, in the desert you can’t remember your name because there ain’t no one for to give you no pain’. There is very little emphasis on the arrival, except a realization by the singer that in the cities ‘humans will give no love’

This song improves society’s understanding because it explains how there can be many obstacles and the emotional and benefits individuals can gain on a journey whether it would be through a desert or basically anywhere.

‘Crossing The Red Sea by Peter Skrzynecki is a poem that captures the immigrant experience between his old homeland and a new homeland. In this poem the composer wants to illustrate the depressing nature of the immigrants’ journey to Australia Skrzynecki uses the adjective ‘many’ to inform the responder that there were many immigrants onboard and the word ‘heat’ implies that the immigrants taking the journey were very uncomfortable. He wants us to be informed about the horrific circumstances of the immigrants’ voyage. The war forced them to migrate and they had little opportunities to take their belongings with them ‘Shirtless in shorts and barefooted’ stresses the lack of their belongings as they have left everything behind. The word ‘shackles’ depicts their confinement on the ship and ‘to look for shorelines’ implies their desire to find hope, hope for a new and better life. Skrzynecki uses present tense such as ‘now’ and the pronoun ‘we’ to involve the responder as their sympathy and their necessity to leave behind their war torn country. ‘Blood’ is a metaphor for their torment and suffering; the immigrants have escaped their brutal past and are looking for a new beginning. The composer uses this form of imagery to establish awareness of the suffering immigrants on the boat, the main obstacle they had to deal with. Personification is used by Skrzynecki to illustrate the healing effect of the immigrant’s journey to Australia ‘kindness’ and ‘calmness’ of the sea depicts a soothing effect that soothes the pain suffered by the immigrants. Crossing the red sea to Australia allowed relief from their pessimistic past. ‘The blood-rimmed horizon’ is a metaphor that is used to assist Skrzynecki in communicating that they are still in a state of anxiety and tension as their journey is not yet complete, further hardship is yet to be endured and it has to be endured before they reach Australia. Skrzynecki has effectively improved our knowledge with his poem. He has proven that journeys can provide new life for individuals.

‘Migrant Hostel’ is another poem from Immigrant Chronicle by Peter Skrzynecki that is a representation of Skrzynecki’s family’s uncertain and unpleasant journey. He and his family spent two years at the Parkes hostel. The cause of his family’s unpleasantness was caused by the constant ‘comings and goings’ of people. The uncertainty was about who would be coming to the hostel next mixed with their uncertainties about their future. The use of birds symbolizes peace, signs of hope and it also symbolizes how human nature aims for high standards ‘wanting to fly’. The description of the amount of ‘newcomers in bus loads from the station’ shows that the crowd created a sense of loss and confusion between people and races. The poem plays on the fact that on journeys, people tend to find a way to experience a journey in the most comfortable way. Skrzynecki uses simile to show this ‘nationalities sought each other out instinctively like a homing pigeon circling to get its bearings’. The last stanzas of the poem describe the hostel as an imprisonment , the immigrants are uncertain of when they’ll be able to leave. The use of personification ‘main gate sealed off the highway’ describes the gate as having more power than the immigrants.

This poem allows us to understand despite being surrounded by uncomfortable conditions. People can still be strong and try to have an optimistic view of the future.

Skyrznecki’s Crossing The Red Sea and Migrant Hostel from Immigrant Chronicle, America’s Horse With No Name and Journeys Over Land And Sea By The Smithsonian Website have successfully improved their audience’s understanding about journeys. They have informed us of the benefits of journeys including emotional and spiritual benefits, discoveries that will help future generations and how journeys can change people’s lives.

How could I improve this essay? help would be greatly appreciated

ksammeh

Neuseeland
HSC
Personally, I believe you have structured your essay well. Unlike most of the essays I've seen, it's coherent manner does appeal to me. It also appears to me that the level of your understand of your texts meets well beyond the criteria of being satisfactory.

However, I don't see any concepts that drive your essay, as this should appear on your introduction and the paragraphs to follow!

Beege

HSC
ksammeh said:
Personally, I believe you have structured your essay well. Unlike most of the essays I've seen, it's coherent manner does appeal to me. It also appears to me that the level of your understand of your texts meets well beyond the criteria of being satisfactory.

However, I don't see any concepts that drive your essay, as this should appear on your introduction and the paragraphs to follow!
so for example what should i include in my intro?

Gigabyte89

HSC
Concepts such as learnings, for both the persona's and yourself?

G

gaoOO

Great analysis of technique, but i think you need to maybe more a bit beyond the simple ideas and draw it to a more effective conclusion by drawing stronger connections between the texts. It's ok to treat each text seperately, but at the end of the essay, you really should have a paragraph other than the conclusion that focuses and brings the essay together. Ideally, you should have a few sentences at the end of each text that link with the others that you have talked about.

Otherwise, it's a good essay and i'm no english expert :)

With a more specific question, there will also be a stronger direction in your essay, which is probably going to be what happens tomorrow. I'll be disappointed if they ask a question like the one you've modelled your essay on.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)