Essay introduction (1 Viewer)

Shazer2

HSC
I have an essay task tomorrow on the following question:
"Analyse recent trends in the Australian labour market including the casualization of work, the growth on part time employment and skills shortages. To what extent are new production strategies such as outsourcing and offshoring changing the types of jobs available to Australian workers?"

I have no idea where to start my introduction, how to word it and all that jazz. How can I start this off? I have lots of notes on this that I can use too.

Regards,
Shannon

determine

Premium Member
HSC
hi there, in terms of this question, it clearly can be divided into two sections:

firstly, analyse the trends of the labour market - here you need to make sure you focus on the casualisation of the workforce and the part-time employment growth first, so basically talk about some of the reasons for this (especially greater employer flexibility, ability to adapt their labour to marker demand etc), and throw in some stats about this to show how casualisation has increased. then make sure that you also focus on the skills shortages and throw in a diagram as to how this affects the labour market (reduces supply of labour), and also explain the main industries facing skills shortages and how this will have an effect on the long-term competitiveness of the workforce.

then, in the second part of the essay, you need to talk about outsourcing strategies and offshoring and say how this will affect the availability of jobs domestically - obviously the major implication of this is that the domestic workforce will shrink and domestic industries will shrink because there will be fewer jobs available here and more jobs created overseas where businesses are increasingly setting up facilities to lower their production costs.

i hope this gives you a good structure to start with! :)

Shazer2

HSC
Finally, a reply. :)

I'll follow that basic structure determine. I've started my plan for introduction, I've set some notes about the Australian labour force, how it's defined and who is included in it. Next I'll move onto casualisation of work and labour skills shortage. The marking rubric says brief examination of unemployment and brief examination of the calculation of unemployment and that's after the brief overview of the Australian labour force (aforementioned).

Am I on the right track?
Where does the explanation of unemployment and the calculation of unemployment come into this?

Also, due to outsourcing and offshoring, what jobs does this leave available to Australian workers?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)