essay memorising tips.. how do u do it? (1 Viewer)

jessiej87

HSC
my tutor insists that i memorise all my essays... it is really hard to do word for word, well i find it hard but neccessary as i find if i dont do it i get shit marks... and if i do i top of the year.... i just repeat it over and over to memorise it.... does anyone have a better and less time consuming method...??

im also told to memorise creative writing and have been taught how to adjust both to questions... so this isnt a problem... i just need some tips to memorise them

Logix

how do u adjust it to different forms, for example into feature articles, speeches and letters? I find that quite hard. as for memorising, I also repeat over and over. dont think there is any other way

za

HSC
write it out a few times

then read and re-read paragraph by paragraph

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
oh im sooo against memorisation. but how on earth do you memorise your creative writing? they've asked some stranger questions in the past. do you just have a very generic creative piece? if so, whats the point in learning it then?

bladenia

HSC
N/A
choose out a paragraph. if u can rewrite it out, then u pretty much got it covered, otherwise, keep learning paragraphs at a time and get the whole thing eventually.

um, silvermoon, are u in uni now? wat did u get for english if so?

otherwise how did u go for trials?

u know all those ppl who say yeh top 10 dont memorise, but i aint one of those top ten, theres always a girl (usually) who tops the school and kills all the assesments and blah. i doubt u are one of those too if u spend ur time on here.

memorising is fair enough to get those 18, 19's. i dont require the full 20. meh, enlighs is just the compulsary 2 units.

allstarr69

do you REALLY have to memorise to write a mad essay? I just memorise key points and quotes and then I mould it into an essay on the day. Meh it probably isnt the best idea as i didnt go too well in the trials but ive ever really been good at english

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
like many people have suggested, memorsie key points :) what i do is write them with coloured textas on coloured paper so that one idea has one color. reading your notes out aloud helps as well

Jase

HSC
if you want to memorise an essay i propose getting a stopwatch, putting yourself under pressure, and time-writing it at least 5 times each essay. 6 essays = 30 times = 1200 mins = 20 hours

so you need to spend at least 20 hours writing essays. You will then be a walking talking essay regurgitator. of course you may want to consider other text types, but after 20hours of essay writing i dont think you could be screwed. good luck

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
despite really not reccomending it,
if u want to memorise an essay do it sequentially

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i re-write the essay a few times
then write down the key points
and try to remember what i know about them
and fix up anything i left out

i have an eng tutor to and i have a memorise creative peice
but thats because i suck at that section and it pulls me down massivly
(i am lucky to get over 8)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
woah
i would not memorise a creative piece dude
maybe work out some different plots
but u are almost guaranteed to use the piece if u memorise it and that could put u in jeopardy

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
you obviously do not understand how much i suck at creative
and i do have a few more back ups
but one major one which is the better one
and i REALLY REALLY suck at creative
so i need it i can't go in there and write about something
even if i already have the plot
it just doesn't work

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
maybe read some short stories on the net or something
i dunno
as long as like its a very fluid plot with an intent that can vary a lot, i guess its not that bad

HSC
N/A
So... how broad does your story have to be? *shudders* that must be scary stuff... what if you walk in and your story completely won't work with the question?

As for essay: Memorise key points. That's how I write my essays. I don't know how people memorise essays, and completely regurgitated essays might not answer the question. Your tutor needs a dose of reality... he is NOT tutoring you if he's just telling you to memorise an essay!!!

Sophie777

Better method: Don't memorise your essay.

Just answer the question on the spot with memorised knowledge.

za

HSC
a memorise a 2000 word essay, then when the test comes i pick and choose which parts fit best, then mould it into the question.

it takes a hell of a lot of time, but its already done and any other way doesnt work with me, so yeah...

Last edited:

bladenia

HSC
N/A
2000 words? u're nuts.....

there are 4 different essays, u gotta memorise 8000 words?

shit man, ill jsut stick to my 1000 each essay.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i don't memorise 1000 coz u don't allow urself to forget something
or things that won't suit the question they ask you
i do about 1500 words for each

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i dont think creative ones can be memorised like an essay. you can devise some journeys which could be related or started from a stimulus picture or something. think of some good metaphors and symbols and hope that you can use your idea. i thought of an idea and it was in the half yearly. you still have to do most of the thinking in the exam but you have some good ideas to get you started which is vital as creative writing can be really time consuming. you can also make ideas up from your related journey texts etc.

Paroissien

HSC
There is no way you can memorise a creative piece of writing. The topic is just far too broad. It is like trying to memorise the techniques of particular cartoons and poems in the hope that they will be part of question 1. Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but you get my point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)