essay on RAW (1 Viewer)

angelicdevil

right about here, griffith, nsw.. but not for long
HSC
im just going to put up my essay on RAW, hopefully it helps some one. it got a really good mark in class so im thinking its not too bad.. :rolleyes: ill try and leave the supplementary material out so you can decide what you want there for yourself.. well hopefully this helps!
it was an answer to an essay question referring to whether the effects of an institution is positive or negative....

This statement, "the effets of the institution are negative", is not entirely accurate. The term institution does not completely relate to the government bodies, the rules and regulations, but it also refers to the boundaries in life wush as your ownn ability, knowledge and body. With these boundaries come the emotional aspects with what is happening and based on the experiences how an individual will react in the situation. Trhough my close examination of the prescribed text, RAW by Scott Monk and my supplementary material, the film Shawshank Redemption and the outstanding movie Triology, The Matrix. I have come to understand the concept of the institution and the individual experience more clearly and that ech individual has a different reaction to the institutionalism.
In my prescirbed text, the novel RAW by Scott Monk, bRett has been sent to the "farm" to be rehabilitated. Brett thought the farm was just like any other institution, full of inmates who ae being punished for doing something wrong. Brett's initial attitude towards the farm was one of hate and disgust. He definetly hated the idea of being in an institution and planned a way to escape from day one, his rebellious nature towards rules and regultions provoked Bret to do this even more so.
Bretts attitude throughtout the novel chsanged repreatedly. The role of the woman, in this case his new girlfriend, Caitlan, changed Brett's view on the whole situation, instead of being mischevious and rebeliious, Brett started to actually care about what was going on around him and Brett started to improve on his people skills, knowledge and actualyl started to follow the rules and regulations. However, occasionally he would sneak out to see Caitlan.
Another influence on institution is authority. On the "farm", the main authoritive figure was the farm owner, Sam. Helaid down the rules and set out the punishments and even thought his measures seem harsh to some degree they assisted the individuals through their time in the institution. Brett didn't like Sam at first or agree with what he was doing but eventually he realised Sam was only there to help him and not criticise or punish Brett for what he had done.
Relationships also play a role in the overall affect of being in an institution. Brett had his fair share of positive and negative relationships with different people witin the novel. His relationship with Sam, varied from hatred and dislike to one of friendship. How he reacted to Josh in the biginning was different to how he treated Josh in the end. Their friendship was like boxing match in the start, Brett despised Josh but as the story continued, Brett began to understand Josh and see him as a friend. Brett and his girlfriend developed outstanding relationship, totally in love during the novel until Brett started puching her to have sex one night and from then their relationship deteriorated causing Brett to go to the edge.
The overall affect of Brett being in an institution wasn't entirely negative, the influences of his own attitude, authoirt,women and relationships taught Brett about hope and he came to know that what he did have back at home, he took for granted. It could be negative due to the way the novel ended and the manner in which Brett relaed to all the negative situations he was in such as fighting with Sam and Josh, drinking with Rebecca and breaking up with Caitlan. The insitution taught Brett different things

......blah blah blah.. my supplementary material...blah blah blah.......

in conclusion... even though Brett had gone through so many negative factors. the overall effect of the insititution wasnt negative because it made Brett realise all the good things in life and he made his life what it is like. Brett had matured largely through the novel, he started to take responsibility and actually make his life better....

hope that helped pplz! :)

iggy pot

that was pretty helpful but it was painful to read. i hope you didnt hand it in like that.

Serg01

It lacked Compliance, Protest and Enforcment... I think those are critical to mention... also spelling is... well... affwualll... but i understand that you are prob a fast typer and were not concentrating on that much... but otherwise.. it was ok.

ben7

dont seem to use many quotes and doesnt seem veyr long. do they expect more than just a couple paragraphs like for our related.. as much as about raw?? or not, i never really go well in Raw and they always seem to ask for 2 related material as well.. mmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)