Essay proof-reading. (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Yo.

My name's Rob, and I'm willing to offer my services for free. By services, I mean you get the budget 'read through your essay once, make comments' deal. Think Jetstar, only we fly nowhere, and I don't wear orange.

By free, I mean you get the budget service. If you're lucky and I'm bored, you get the silver service of my printing it out, writing comments, and then posting it online, or making notes in a pdf doc. If I'm cranky, or you're rude, I'll probably just ignore your email altogether -- as you can see, I'm very temperamental.

This service really is a bargain, as I'm training to become an HSC marker in Ancient History, and I would consider my marking and writing ability very tried-and-true. If you want free, this is it, although it only goes for one per person.

If you want anything extensive, guaranteed as well as really detailed comments, suggestions, and editing, however, you need to send me $5 via either EFT or the mail. This will allow you to send me as many essays as you want.

I can proof and edit any essays at any level whatsoever, but don't expect tight feedback on actual content unless the essay relates to the social sciences.

Anyhoo, the best way to send me the essay is via email at rob.p@optusnet.com.au. For this, *don't* add me to msn unless I've told you to -- I *only* give essay feedback by reading an essay and writing the comments, I don't want a dialogue to start unless I've received your $5.

In the past, I've found the most difficult part of giving feedback was people adding me to msn and jabbering on when I had other things to do. If you've paid me, though, I'm happy to jabber till your heart's content!

If you ask why I'm doing this, it's because I know that the people that will send me essays generally deserve help, and I'm willing to give it. Furthermore, I just saw a thread where some 'certified teacher' (yeah, sure:rolleyes:) was charging upwards of $40 for more than 6 pages of text!

Personally, I'd like to do this for free, but I know it'll be abused (hence, one per person) unless I separate the students willing to commit from the rest. :)

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I've used PwarYuex for about a year now, and the results are nothing short of amazing. My whites are whiter and my colours brighter! I fully endorse PwarYuex. He sure helped lift me out of essay writing blues, and he can help you too.

Libbster

HSC
This dude is the bomb when dealing with Ancient History. He gave me some great advice for the HSC so I give Pwar a big thumbs up!

X

xeuyrawp

I'll point out that 6 people have paid so far, and they've all seemed very pleased. Send more essays via email, though, I do have some spare time on the weekends. :)

(read: Bump).

flowergrl

HSC
does that also include prelim AOS essays (e.g. time) or only HSC Journeys stuff?

tutor74

HSC
N/A
How are you "in training" to be a HSC marker? I've marked 3 different HSC courses and have never encountered any kind of training required to mark!

X

xeuyrawp

tutor74 said:
How are you "in training" to be a HSC marker? I've marked 3 different HSC courses and have never encountered any kind of training required to mark!
I'm not a teacher, and I think the situation is unique to ancient history in that it was discovered that a lot of students were fudging facts without markers knowing. It's the only subject where markers are not only unable to mark other sections due to logistic problems, but because of knowledge problems: AH has got the longest paper with most options. I think the marking centre was realising that they needed some people to actually say 'this paper may be written well, but he clearly doesn't know his stuff'. Apparently it came about through Gae Callendar (coincidentally one of the only people that does inter-optional marking) checking a paper that received a great mark with obviously phoney sources.

The problem is that teaching ancient history and marking it are different, and as far as I'm aware, it's the only humanities subject that has 'trainee' markers ensuring factual correctness of papers. It's a very strange situation, and a lot of older markers felt exactly the same as you do -- that undergrad students in a marking centre is odd. It would be were it not for the fact that we are 'supervised' constantly.

flowergrl said:
does that also include prelim AOS essays (e.g. time) or only HSC Journeys stuff?
Sure does!

Are you the person that emailed me? If not, send me one. :)

Vahl

HSC
This is inappropriate Pwar. It is against the rules, besides being immoral.
No proof reading of essays,

It is one thing to tutor, but quite another to proof read an assessable task.

X

xeuyrawp

Vahl3 said:
This is inappropriate Pwar. It is against the rules, besides being immoral.
No proof reading of essays,

It is one thing to tutor, but quite another to proof read an assessable task.
No it's not, Cori. I'm breaking no rules, and I'm not being immoral.

After a fair bit of tutoring, I know where to draw the line between doing someone's essay and proofing it.

Lots of people have essays proofed, I'm offering reliable proofing.

You're mistaking getting and advantage via someone checking a completed essay and cheating via someone writing the essay for you. You're also being presumptuous when you don't know what I actually say to students. You're also confused in that I'm not really able to offer substantial advice on matters of fact and content.

Maybe get your facts straight first?

edit: Part of proofing is checking into things first, which I pride myself on. Maybe you should look into someone to double check your writing - things like advanced economics and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

Tulipa said:
will you proof my history essay on the netherlands in 17th century europe?

like on sunday or whenever i finish it?

:) please?
Sure thing, Sarah.

Best way to do it is to email it to me, otherwise I'll totally forget.

Vahl

HSC
PwarYuex said:
No it's not, Cori. I'm breaking no rules, and I'm not being immoral.

After a fair bit of tutoring, I know where to draw the line between doing someone's essay and proofing it.

Lots of people have essays proofed, I'm offering reliable proofing.

You're mistaking getting and advantage via someone checking a completed essay and cheating via someone writing the essay for you. You're also being presumptuous when you don't know what I actually say to students. You're also confused in that I'm not really able to offer substantial advice on matters of fact and content.

Maybe get your facts straight first?

edit: Part of proofing is checking into things first, which I pride myself on. Maybe you should look into someone to double check your writing - things like advanced economics and such.
No. Pwar. It is still immoral.
Granted that HSC students' marks may be lower through a poorer command of English, proof reading an essay to correct any such mistakes gives the student an unfair advantage.

Incidently, I don't need help with my work. However if you do want to come around and give me a hand, well...
:rolleyes:

Libbster

HSC
Vahl3 said:
No. Pwar. It is still immoral.
Granted that HSC students' marks may be lower through a poorer command of English, proof reading an essay to correct any such mistakes gives the student an unfair advantage.

Incidently, I don't need help with my work. However if you do want to come around and give me a hand, well...
:rolleyes:
so for example when a teacher at school reads an essay and offers corrections/suggestions...etc you're saying that's immoral and unfair? wtf? :confused:

X

xeuyrawp

Libbster said:
so for example when a teacher at school reads an essay and offers corrections/suggestions...etc you're saying that's immoral and unfair? wtf? :confused:
Nah, he clearly doesn't understand the situation. He's just being immature and is trying to get back at me for correcting his lazily posted thread in the tutoring forum. I mean, who advertises tutoring but shows they're totally incompetent with checking even their own a short, unsubstantial messages? :rolleyes:

If Vahl3 has a problem, he can contact the Board and lodge a complaint against individual students for cheating. :)

Vahl

HSC
Libbster said:
nono, the issue is when EXAMINABLE assessments are proof read, not practice ones. That is my issue.

Vahl

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That's fine, Cori. I'll post up the results of your complaint to the Board. :)
PS since3 when was my name Cori

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)