• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Essay Structure AOS (1 Viewer)

xyi

HSC
For an area of study essay, does it matter whether or not I alternate my related text and my set text? For example, should it be INTRO, SET TEXT, SET TEXT, RELATED TEXT, RELATED TEXT, CONCLUSION or, INTRO, ST, RL, ST, RL, CONC?! or does it not matter? thanks!

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
My structure:

Intro
Idea 1 (Prescribed)
Idea 1 (Related 1)
Idea 2 (Prescribed)
Idea 2 (Related 1/2 - dependent on if Q. asked for 2 related)
Idea 3 (Prescribed)
Idea 3 (Related 1)
Conclusion.

ps. don't do you first suggestion, comparisons don't flow well..

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My structure:

Intro
Idea 1 (Prescribed)
Idea 1 (Related 1)
Idea 2 (Prescribed)
Idea 2 (Related 1/2 - dependent on if Q. asked for 2 related)
Idea 3 (Prescribed)
Idea 3 (Related 1)
Conclusion.

ps. don't do you first suggestion, comparisons don't flow well..
This is basically what I did. In the end you have 3 body paragraphs.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I had two main ideas in my essays-probably due to the fact I tend to have longer paragraphs-basically, I had idea 1(set text), idea 1(related text), idea two(set text), idea two(related text) and I also had these in separate paragraphs, so essentially I had four paragraphs, however I think the model suggested by others would work find as well. I think you need to make sure that whatever essay structure you adopt, you follow a consistent structure and that you allow yourself to make effective conceptual links between your prescribed and related in relation to the particular facet of belonging the question is addressing:)Hope this helps:)

iStudent

HSC
I integrate my paragraphs because it links my texts easier
So basically 4-5 paragraphs where each makes a unique point supported by evidence from both texts

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I integrate my paragraphs because it links my texts easier
So basically 4-5 paragraphs where each makes a unique point supported by evidence from both texts
That works, but its a bit tougher to do. As it quite easy to lose flow within the paragraph and began a cycle of repetition.

iStudent

HSC
That works, but its a bit tougher to do. As it quite easy to lose flow within the paragraph and began a cycle of repetition.
4-5 integrated paragraphs fits more content in, since you don't have to repeat the topic/explanatory sentence and linking sentence again in a new paragraph. But yeah it's harder since you need to come up with another 2 arguments, compared to if you were doing 4 linear paragraphs)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
4-5 integrated paragraphs fits more content in, since you don't have to repeat the topic/explanatory sentence and linking sentence again in a new paragraph. But yeah it's harder since you need to come up with another 2 arguments, compared to if you were doing 4 linear paragraphs)
Oh. By repeating I meant, like the ongoing use of, 'in contrast in text XYZ'. 'likewise in XZY'. etc. within the same paragraph multiple times.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I had 6, the ones listed were seperate paras.
For each module I had a different structure though.

For AOS I had this:

Intro

Body 1:
- First poem, then related text, in depth analysis of both related to thesis and question.

Body 2:
- Second poem, then same related text preferrably (or different if the question specified so), in depth analysis of both related to thesis and question.

Body 3:
- First and second poem comparative on how they influence the belonging type mentioned in thesis.

Conclusion.

For other modules I had different structures, but I still had 3 body paragraphs.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Not really. If you have a consistent idea but can tackle your idea in many different perspectives, then you can get a b6 response.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Alternating it makes it easier to compare/contrast texts. Generally:

One related
Intro
Idea one - CORE
Idea one - R1
Idea two - CORE
Idea two - R1
Idea three - CORE
Idea three - R1
Conclusion

Two related
Intro
Idea one - CORE
Idea one - R1
Idea two - CORE
Idea two - R2
Idea three - CORE
Idea three - R1/2
Conclusion

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I had two main ideas in my essays-probably due to the fact I tend to have longer paragraphs-basically, I had idea 1(set text), idea 1(related text), idea two(set text), idea two(related text) and I also had these in separate paragraphs, so essentially I had four paragraphs, however I think the model suggested by others would work find as well. I think you need to make sure that whatever essay structure you adopt, you follow a consistent structure and that you allow yourself to make effective conceptual links between your prescribed and related in relation to the particular facet of belonging the question is addressing:)Hope this helps:)
I had this structure too and a lot of the other guys in the top ranks used it too.

Tablature form:

Intro
Par 1 - Idea 1 - Prescribed
Par 2 - Idea 1 - RT 1
Par 3 - Idea 2 - Prescribed
Par 4 - Idea 2 - RT 1/2
Conclusion

I preferred it because it really provided substantial space for content and synthesis simultaneously.

I highly recommend taking any structure where you base your body paragraphs off conceptual ideas rather than the texts alone. This is because it'll provide a pathway for you to integrate your essay and demonstrate your developed understanding of the modules (and also isn't boring to read). It'll mean the bulk of each paragraph is taken up by one text with the necessary links to the other texts woven into it. Imo, it's the best way to structure your essay because a blank Text 1, 2, 3 structure encourages shallow analysis due to the amount of flexibility it allows and may also discourage synthesis because there may not be an underlying concept flowing through all three paragraphs.

Remember 4 paragraphs in this structure is enough because they will probably be around 200-250 words each (I wouldn't recommend less because it'll likely be lacking in analysis and I wouldn't recommend more because you risk not being succinct) and you have to consider your time constraints.

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I had this structure too and a lot of the other guys in the top ranks used it too.

Tablature form:

Intro
Par 1 - Idea 1 - Prescribed
Par 2 - Idea 1 - RT 1
Par 3 - Idea 2 - Prescribed
Par 4 - Idea 2 - RT 1/2
Conclusion

I preferred it because it really provided substantial space for content and synthesis simultaneously.

I highly recommend taking any structure where you base your body paragraphs off conceptual ideas rather than the texts alone. This is because it'll provide a pathway for you to integrate your essay and demonstrate your developed understanding of the modules (and also isn't boring to read). It'll mean the bulk of each paragraph is taken up by one text with the necessary links to the other texts woven into it. Imo, it's the best way to structure your essay because a blank Text 1, 2, 3 structure encourages shallow analysis due to the amount of flexibility it allows and may also discourage synthesis because there may not be an underlying concept flowing through all three paragraphs.

Remember 4 paragraphs in this structure is enough because they will probably be around 200-250 words each (I wouldn't recommend less because it'll likely be lacking in analysis and I wouldn't recommend more because you risk not being succinct) and you have to consider your time constraints.
I think I told you before, but I did 6 bodies, because I didn't structure around themes, I did paradigms that follow the underlying foundation of the whole module itself.

But I have to agree. Time pressures meant that in trials I had to skip one body at the end of my Mod C. Nonetheless it was in trials and I got 17/20. In HSC after improving my speed I fairly confident because the question was essentially my thesis. So fingers cross I can get a 20/20.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah my paragraphs were over 300 words each lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)