Essay Structure: Remember your SEXY paragraphs! (1 Viewer)

n1h1l

impulse_17 said:
oh wait, but having said that, you should link issues where it's relevant... "just as (issue) is illustrated in (text a), so too is (issue) also evident in (text b), but (text b) broadens the understanding of this issue/ conflicts with the understanding of this issue etc etc etc.

to put it simply

Yeh thats what they mean when they say integrating. it has to be relevant integration otherwise there is no point... actually if it's not relevant it's worse to integrate, because it looks like that you lack technical control, do it right or don't do it.

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
i learned

Statement
Explain further
eXample
Y is it relevant?

and for when u have to compose a text:

Form - what form does it have to take (essay, story, artcle etc)
Audience - who is it aimed at
Reason - your purpose
Topic - what do you have to focus on?

so people, in your exams, write SEXY essays and remember to FART!

His Big Redness

Red Nation Leader
HSC
Man... Is it just me or is essay writing all about quotes and "hows"?

One method I was taught for esay writing was this:

1.Topic sentence
2.Discussion
3.How is this shown
4.Quote
5.Linking sentence that relates to the topic

Get all these points in a paragraph and you're all set.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Statement - state what the text has to do with your argument
Textual Evidence - provide a quote or example to back it up
Analysis - explain how the evidence fits into the argument
Relate to the topic - explain how these points answer the question

tennille

HSC
felixcthecat said:
first time i actually went to english forum ^0^'' ahh i'm so bad in english, i really don't get it.. i kno i gotta put quotes, i kno i gotta analyse quote and i kno that each paragraph i hav to link it bac to the introduction./topic.. and sumthing to link it with the next paragraph.. but i still dun seem to get that spark of how to write a good essay.. ><'' any ideas how i could change?............
Write clearly. Don't babble on (eg. long sentences- try to get straight to the point because in the exam, you won't have time to write a lot). Mention a technique, give an example (a quote, etc) and then explain how it creates the meaning, etc. Each paragraph should mention a different idea. If you're talking about certain themes in a text, the easiest way to set out your essay is to have each theme in a different paragraph. Try to make the essay flow. Similar ideas are placed in the same paragraphs, etc.

whatever88

HSC
Essay, essay

I find it easier to write essay if u actually plan it first before going straight into it. I would first write down all the key points that i would want to put down first. Then i would plan my paragraphs. It would look something like: first paragraph: (key point) quotes, techniques. 2nd paragraph: (key point) quotes, technique etc. That way the essay would just flow when you get down to it. Also, link every paragraph using words such as: Also shown in, On the other hand, In contrast to, According to, In support as etc. My english teacher taught me that and it has helped me alot. I went from getting 15/20 for my essay to 20/20. :) oh and remember, they're really big on techniques so metion a few of them in your essay.

mstanford

HSC
Here's what I've been taught. Might help to clear a few things up for those having trouble.

-Topic sentence (what you're speaking of in this paragraph)
-Discussion (elaborate on the topic sentence)
-How (showing proof of what you are talking about. eg. "This is shown through the use of alliteration" etc.)
-Quote from the text (further proof)
-Link (a sentence linking back to your topic sentence.

I hope that helps....

D

Di_Angelo

If you want to check out the scaling of subjects you can go to the official Board of Studies website and look it up...I don't think it scales you down. It may not scale you up too high but definitely not down.

Um as for a band 6 essay, I use the P.E.E.L technique. As in peel an apple:

* Point - What is the point of the paragraph you're going to write (i.e subject but don't babble on)

* Explanation - Discussion of your point, what is being compared or contrasted

* Example - techniques, how is your point shown, quotes

* Link - link back to the question (THIS IS A MUST according to my teacher lol)

However, bear in mind your EEs must be elaborate. You really have to describe your point and give EXAMPLES of how it is shown, give quotes and techniques. You have to VERIFY what your point is.

And remember - you can't expect to get exceptional marks if your paragraphs are 5 lines. Make them at the least 8-9 and not in huge writing!

You should also have linking words at the beginning of each paragraph such as "like, similarly, contrastingly, as opposed to" when comparing texts.

I hope this is helpful! Just remember.....PEEL PEEL PEEL PEEL PEEL AN APPLE JUST PEEL!! :)

beautiful bethy

HSC
Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

these are notes i got in class examiners responses etc, i'll try and write it brief:

~ There is no 'correct' formula in terms of response structure

~Markers expect a sense of balance between texts in your response

~40-60% of u'r essay (or whatever) should be your prescribed texts

~Related texts are often the most compelling for markers to read

~if the question asks for at least one text, one text is absolutley fine, three is too
many. They want you to show your understanding and go into u'r texts with a bit of focus and depth. NB. nothing will stop u from getting full marks if u only use one text.

~Make links between texts eg direct comparison/contrast

~AVOID:
Simplistic links - Frost's journey in not a hard one but Molly's is
Superficial links - both Coleridge and Tan imagine the journey
Repetitive links - they tend to take away from what you are saying

thats about all i've got for the moment, hope it is of some interest : )
byes

Dragie

HSC
Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

Difference between evidence and example:

Evidence: How does it relate to the point - talk about what actually happens in the text that relates to the question/point. For eg: You're talking about journeys and how ppl learn through them: After talking to Mark, Jane realised that her daydream was a psychological manifestation of her deepest thoughts.

Example: The technique and quote needed to support it. Eg: This is shown through the close up on Jane's surprised face as she says, 'I think I know why I'm daydreaming about going back to germany!'

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A

Komaticom said:
STAR system for each paragraph of your body:

S- statement
T- textual evidence
A- analysis
R- resolution

STARS AND SEX... what more can you want!!! hahaha :rofl:

JUST REMEMBER:

S=state your point,
E=example with a quotation from text,
X=x'plain, refer back to question, justify its inclusion..

STAR system for each paragraph of your body:

S- statement
T- textual evidence
A- analysis
R- resolution

MattBaker

HSC
Re: Essay, essay

A good one to follow is WAPTEEL

W - What (key point/thesis)
A - Audience (How does the audience relate)
P - Purpose (what is the purpose)
T - Technique
E - Example or Evidence
E - EFFECT (What and why)
L - Link (to the next key idea)

Super Nanny

HSC
Re: Essay, essay

lol, WAPTEEL. How the fuck do people come up with these things?

HSC

SYTHESIS helps i guess....its easier than people make it sound. For your notes draw a BIG mindmap linking all your major points and memorise the BIG picture and stick the quotes up your wall too so you can familiarise yourself with them, you should memorise quotes that have the most versatility as opposed to one quote per - point.

Promote yourself to make your own opinion. Do you like or dislike a text?. then question why is it that you like or dislike a text? the authors expression? his/her themetic concerns? the medium of expression? and how could this be imporved. This particularly helps with personal responses and it canget you going and writng with a flow.

When writing essays on context, sythesise using values and attitudes. Link all your major points through the values of the two periods e.g discuss how money is important in Taming of the Shrew i.e. how it delivers status, then link this the Ten things...then link money to power to masculinity to femininity to family dynamics, and you can comment on each text as you go.

(sorry about the shoddy examples....im still in yr 11...so i havent done any yr 12 texts lol..this is just what i remember for my prelim.)

hope that helps....sounds like a lot of crap...

gl all

Magicana

HSC

hannahxxx said:
Yeah I agree with the "answer the question" thing-it's amazing how many people don't do it.
You link the question to your paragraph topic at BEGINNING of every paragraph.
If you're comparing two texts, after you've finished comparing them in relation to a point link BACK to the q in a sentence of summation.

Oh and some teachers *rolls eyes* tell you not to "memorize essays" but they need a reality check. To write 8+ pages in 40 minutes you pretty much need to have memorized the whole thing and be able to quote it off the top of your head. I guess they say this cause some kids don't link back to the q.

You must realize that actually sitting down and WRITING a band six essay takes time( my essays took me ages). Keep taking it back to the teacher until they get annoyed with you.

Oh and handwriting- getting good at this something I never managed but it's an art in itself.
Writing an essay before hand gets you locked into the question, and when you go in, it is very hard to get straight to work on it. I tried that for year 11 half yearly, and it took me a few minutes to get my head around the new question. Ended up with 13/15, but still...

Better to know your stuff and in relation to the syllabus, or be naturally good at it.

tomsav

HSC

My Teacher always says T.E.E:

Technique used
Example of the Technique
Explain the Technique

Tom

hiddenagenda

HSC

I go ruse and get good essay marks in exams by just... getting my teacher to mark a practice essay, and then editing it and gettin remark until its perfect, then memorize it word for word. likE eVERY single word loL. this way Your essay will have good style flair, stick out, since you cant write excellent structure in the pathetic time slot they give us for exams. getting used to modifying it to answer the question is the only other step. its quite easy- the english syllabus is so broad haha so i jsut ...add a few scentences onto the end of my memorized essay so that its answering the question. the...fullmarks =]

TheBressman

BIT Student @ UTS
HSC

Wow, sounds like an interesting concept. And this technique works for all questions ? I have had HSC marking teachers say that those who memorise another question's essay usually get lower marks.

*Buttercup*

HSC

When I was studying english, I made a list of the different types of questions u can get - the topics are so broad that there's usually not too many - eg, for physical journeys u can get a question on direction, consequences, attitudes or challenges, that sort of thing. and then work out which texts u would use to answer each type of question. if u know ur texts really well u should have a couple of points that u always make about each text...

Then practise heaps of essays in time limits and get ur teachers to mark them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)