• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Essay Structure! (1 Viewer)

Sambam429

HSC
What is the correct essay structure? I think I have been taught it wrong in the past!
Should it go like this:
Introduction
Body 1 - prescribed text.
Body 2 - Sup text 1
Body 3 - Sup text 2

But what happens if you only need to do one sup text? Do you then only have 2 body paragraphs?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Do six bodies if you can write fast. Defs looks better to the marker than four.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

turkey4dinner

HSC
N/A
And don't forget a precise but profound conclusion. After reading some of my friends' essays I realized that a good conclusion leaves a very long impression, and sometimes can change the entire opinion you previously had about that essay.

Conclusion
- Sum up your idea
- Raise more thoughts/questions

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do six bodies if you can write fast. Defs looks better to the marker than four.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
I would be inclined to disagree with this-because it is the quality of the points and the depth to which they are examined relevant to the context of answering the question rather than on the amount of points-the aim of any essay is not to demonstrate how much you know in general-but to demonstrate you skills in selecting the most important points to argue in depth.

Just a comment on conclusion-be very careful you don't express too many new thoughts or ideas-a good conclusion won't necessarily save a poorly written essay-at the end of the day, it is not what sounds good, but what answers the question that gets the marks.

I would agree with Hawkrider's suggested structure because that was how I predominantly structured my essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)