Essay writing (1 Viewer)

TheGlenn

HSC
I understand that Extension history requires good essay writing skills. In our first assessment task i wrote 5 pages and i was quite happy until i found out other people did 9 !!! I understood the topic probably more than those who did nine pages but i was never good at just writing for length.

Does anyone have any tips towards essay writing???

Kabbasi

HSC
TheGlenn said:
I understand that Extension history requires good essay writing skills. In our first assessment task i wrote 5 pages and i was quite happy until i found out other people did 9 !!! I understood the topic probably more than those who did nine pages but i was never good at just writing for length.

Does anyone have any tips towards essay writing???
*Plaits beard in speculation*

Yo dude, judging by your post, I don't think you have many problems in essay writing. If you understand the topic more than the others, that's what'll get you the best marks, after all, for Extension History (as I understand it), your Major work needs to be of a certain word limit, so if you can get in 5 pages what it takes someone else to do in 9 pages, you have a definite advantage and you'll end up fitting in more for your Work.

I think you're mistaking that quantity is better than quality. If I were to write 10 pages and you 5 it's very possible that you'd getter better marks, as your answer would probably be more succint and to the point, (unless you didn't finish or only put in one or two points).

Generally, if you are meant to write an essay in a given time (this is probably more for English), you should have a few points on what your texts, or your ideas, quotes, etc. If it's a hand in task, try and write down first everything you want to say, and then scaffold it into a reasonable order, adding quotes, extra information under each idea. Then reread it, getting rid of things that are irrelevant or pointless, focusing more on the main ideas.

And my advice: Don't ever write for length. You'll end up putting in things that will make your marker cringe because they are not needed in the question. Never ever ever ever ever :santa: says Santa Claus. It should be you that's happy - you understand the subject more than those 9 pager-people. And 5 pages by the way is still a hell of alot to write!

Good luck next year!

gmrqorsprite 8D

HSC
Kabbasi said:
*Plaits beard in speculation*

Yo dude, judging by your post, I don't think you have many problems in essay writing. If you understand the topic more than the others, that's what'll get you the best marks, after all, for Extension History (as I understand it), your Major work needs to be of a certain word limit, so if you can get in 5 pages what it takes someone else to do in 9 pages, you have a definite advantage and you'll end up fitting in more for your Work.

I think you're mistaking that quantity is better than quality. If I were to write 10 pages and you 5 it's very possible that you'd getter better marks, as your answer would probably be more succint and to the point, (unless you didn't finish or only put in one or two points).

Generally, if you are meant to write an essay in a given time (this is probably more for English), you should have a few points on what your texts, or your ideas, quotes, etc. If it's a hand in task, try and write down first everything you want to say, and then scaffold it into a reasonable order, adding quotes, extra information under each idea. Then reread it, getting rid of things that are irrelevant or pointless, focusing more on the main ideas.

And my advice: Don't ever write for length. You'll end up putting in things that will make your marker cringe because they are not needed in the question. Never ever ever ever ever :santa: says Santa Claus. It should be you that's happy - you understand the subject more than those 9 pager-people. And 5 pages by the way is still a hell of alot to write!

Good luck next year!
OMG BEV 8D;; *glomps*

Anyway, I do Extension History too =)

I know English puts heavy emphasis on the length of an essay {{ i.e 16 PAGES FDW D:< }}, but it's different in Extension History, I think . Quality over quantity, I say =]

Ahaha, but then again, you can't really say much on your subject in like, what .. 2 pages ? So I suppose length and 'quality' sort of go hand in hand .. But as long as you got your point across and explained it well, who gives ? 8D;

Wahaha ^^

Dude, you wrote 5 pages . More than half the time, people who write a massive 9 pages have fat writing D:

So don't fret xD

Mel_b

HSC
Whilst you should be writing enough to show a breadth of knowledge of historians and historiographical issues, 9 pages is no good if you are being repetitive - and in my experience, history extension students tend to be more repetitive in essays than others.

History extension was my best subject in the HSC, and I did not write a tremendous amount, particularly in the external exams - because a much, much higher standard is expected in terms of the quality of your argument, the level of insight in your analysis and the general quality of your writing, you're not expected to write reams, and generally, students who are more concise have a better idea of what they're doing, anyway - people who waffle for pages are less likely to actually 'get' the question.

Provided your marks are ok, and the feedback is positive, don't worry about length.

wendolina

HSC
Heyyy
I have my extension history exam soon!
I know my historians and their contextual background and perspectives etc etc
But I have no clue how to piece it together!
Without an essay plan or scaffold I crumble lol
Help anyone?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Structure your essay according to the ideas and concepts presented with in the source and link idea/debates/historians/issues and the question back to the source and the question. Don't just reccount all the info and historians you know.

I have a couple of essay scaffolds but they dont seem to work for me, i've spoken to two senior markers and the best was is the 'twin towers' where dou directly relate a source analysis to your historian/debate and keep doing this though out your essay. This also ensures you are referencing to the source and you have a good proportional amount of source analysis and historical evidence to argue the question, also in the making notes/criteria it says if you dont ref the source in anyway you will only be given <5 marks this applies for both sections.

Last edited:

stevencoffin

HSC
N/A
Essay writing skill can improve only through read books and do practice in writing. Read lot of books is very good idea for improving writing. That will give lot of knowledge to writing. If you want online help then you have to go with only the best essay writing service. Because there is many scam services out there, don’t drop your career. All the best…

History 101

HSC
Personally I find knowing the historian is great but in order to achieve those higher marks you need to be able to analyse the extract pretty well and relate back to the debate on whether history is subjective or objective. Knowing your historians frankly isn't enough, you need to understand both concepts and ideas that revolve around History. It's extremely important to never neglect the extract or think it would be ok to just 'mention it here and there' - you literally need to attack the extract. English skills are required to make your essay more sophisticated but it isn't a must - I feel like if you know your things well you'll be fine.

will90211

HSC
Quality > Quantity. Markes expect you to write in an articulate manner, cutting to the chase and forcefully putting across your argument. This isn't Modern/Ancient History where you have to deal with the usual waffle, for example, 2 lines on introducing an idea/person/place. The markers know what you're talking.

HSC
N/A
Quality over quantity is definitely important, but also remember that quality AND quantity is best for getting top marks. You seem to have a good knowledge base, so improving your writing speed might help you get more out in the given time frame.

We have a couple of tips about which pens can help your writing speed on our blog http://deltaeducation.com.au/blog/ feel free to check it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)