Essay writing.... (1 Viewer)

zemaj

Essay writing tips

Hmmm... what tips can you give on essay writing?

For my trails I got near perfect MC and short answer scores, but did pretty bad in both my essays.

Any tips?

-zem

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think its a bit too late now, but...

I prepare essays, in order to perfect them
I did about 10 on a variety of essay topics (very broad, mind u), because by preparing a response to a topic, u know exactly what u want to say, what order u write to, and how u write it
It may be different for different people, but I find that I write more sophisticated and accurate essays when I prepare them, rather than trying to create one off my head, because exam stress can screw with your logic

so yeah, for the next 2 days, try and plan a structure for the extended response, ie - under a heading for each major topic thats likely to be examined, write several dot points about the major issues/concepts that are in that specific topic, and play around with words to create sophisticated and coherant argument
linking is very important in extended responses to, so make sure everything u talk about links in to the underlying argument

hmm i kinda rambled on there...

Jin-17

yeah I totally agree with you on that. It is late now, but that doesnt mean that you cant make some changes now, but eassy is really combining the knowlege that you have gained and using it to how you understand it. Some people in my year did well in some of the eassy writing due to them basically memorising their essay done by a tutor and stuff, but in the HSC it could be on anything, so really it should have been done during the year and have the construct and foundations

Lethargist

HSC
N/A
The best essays need to have no emotion. The first sentance should be a definition of the word in the question. eg globilisation.

Don't put values on things such as "very" and "good". Look at the guideline for the essay. Make a straight-forward statement about that part of the guideline. back this up with some statistics. then talk about the impact this has had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)