Essays and Questionaires (1 Viewer)

Dynamix

North by Northwest and then turning slightly East
HSC
Did anyone have to write essay and questionaires to get into CSU? If u did, what did you write? For the journo essay our question is "Journalists don't just report the news, they define it." Anyone got any ideas? What about any work experience and industry experience? I havent done too much, only twice, do i have no hope cos i am not experienced enough?

Fungrys

*lookin for wgong maccas*
HSC
Yep I got the application, I've done a bit of the questionnaire already, but I havent started the essays. I'm going for journalism too...

I've just put down my work experience and other stuff I done around the school, plus a few people I know around the local area in communication... The essays shouldnt be too difficult, anyone know if there is a word limit?

I dont wanna make my "...journos define the news..." essay too controversial ahaha

Fro

HSC
Guys
Dont stress too much on the essay. Its not like a huge HSC type thing...
I think our word limit was like 500 words or something like that - to my recollection i think it was the same question...
I think they want you to get your point across in as little as possible words but still have some kind of sense to it. Something i think none of my current essays have had...
Hope my advice was insightfull or at least interesting...
Good luck guys
Fro

bex

HSC
Fro said:
Guys
Dont stress too much on the essay. Its not like a huge HSC type thing...
I think our word limit was like 500 words or something like that - to my recollection i think it was the same question...
I think they want you to get your point across in as little as possible words but still have some kind of sense to it. Something i think none of my current essays have had...
Hope my advice was insightfull or at least interesting...
Good luck guys
Fro
yeah its really not that difficult.. theyre not too fussy out here... i remember one chick in my course got in and didnt even write one, so dont stress out too much!

as for work experience, i dont think they will deny you if you havent done heaps of work experience... i did 2 weeks at a newspaper and im here so i guess they arent too picky about that either!

nicki_7eva

hey l am applyin for journalism as well and l have no work experience well in the communications field anyway so lets hope they don't take that into account heaps. As for the essays l haven't started yet but the question doesn;t seem that hard to get ya head around

Jelly Babe

Communications Advertising

Is anyone applying for the Communication Advertising course, and do they have any idea what the essay means??? I need help cause i don't get it enough to write 500 words for it, and in relation to work experience - i haven't do anything cause there isn't anything around where i live.

Fro

HSC
Whats the question? Might be able to help...

jizmiester

I really think all you guys are freaking out over nothing! they dont expect a friggen thesis!
You are all obviously interested in a career in professional communication, hence you should have some literacy skills. Just relax...read the question, find some info from a bullshit source off the web and write! Because believe me, writing essays is all you're going to be doing next year... use the practice and experiment a bit.

face it, if you do get accepted you'll know your essays were half decent and its an indication you're doing the right thing with your life

Jelly Babe

The Question is... "The marketer who succeeds in today's environment will be the one who integrates and coordinates the communication so tightly that one can look from medium to medium to see one 'vioce' in brand communication'. Discuss the changing marketing communications landscape and the integration of traditional and new mediums into consumer communication. Hope you can help - Thankz

jizmiester

holy shit!

i take that back....thats a fcked up question...good luck working out that one fro :) il leave it to you

off to the bar... final fret is on tonight!

:(

jez

Fro

HSC
jizmiester said:
holy shit!

i take that back....thats a fcked up question...good luck working out that one fro :) il leave it to you

off to the bar... final fret is on tonight!

:(

jez
...pfft journo students... You know nothing Jez... though i do envy you drinking...

As you the question...
It looks hard but break it up - they're just trying to scare you.
Talk a bit about communication and how that by "coordinating it so tightly" it will make a successful marketer. The 'voice' they talk about is a common ground that marketers work with throughout all mediums of communication. A successful 'voice' is one that consumers immediatly associate with a certain brand. E.G Nike = "Just do it", Maccas = "Things that make you go mmmm" etc
The rest of your essay should be something about how the introduction of new mediums effects this communication landscape. Digital TV and radio (yes it does exist) - how has it impacted.... internet... shit like that
Hope that helped... Dont take everything i said as totally correct - just maybe some points for you to start on.
Good luck
Fro

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
Im appling for bachelor of Arts Multimedia and I have to list my 5 fave sites (as well as do all sorts of other things including portfolio and questionare). Heh of course Im putting boredofstudies.org/community but what other ones shud I put? I mean I like strongbad etc but should I really be putting those sites on?

bex

HSC
i think thats a pretty easy question actually.. basically what its asking you is to talk about how advertising has moved from an approach where all sorts of mediums (print,tv,radio,billboards etc) are used with all different messages to an approach where advertisers are using an INTERGRATED MARKETING COMMUINICATION to deliver one voice or message to the consumer through a variety of mediums. For example, the telstra/ australian idol campaign with those 2 chicks on the couch? they use the same characters in the tv commercials, print ads, billboards etc to communicate the same message- whereby delivering consistency and making the message a lot more recognisable and easier to recall. Old media- tv, radio, print. New media- ambient (check out www.maverick.com.au), internet etc etc cable tv is another..
i hope this helps! its just i do advertising as my makor and we learn all bout this stuff.

HSC
I applied for the PR and organisational comm course. i reckon the interview went well, but i might need some help with the essay. the question is:
"Public relations is about reputation. The result of what you do, what you say, and what others say about you....."

Basic ideas are plentiful in my head, but it would be nice to get something good to put in. Cheers.

bex

HSC
hmm well this statement is true in some regard... a business considers its value from not only the material goods and stock that they own, but there is a dollar value placed on the way the public percieve them. the better their reputation, the higher the figure. this is called goodwill. this same principle can be applied to the government as well as events. does a reputation precede a business/ government? how has an incident change the way a certain business or event has operated forever- eg Big day out where Jessica ___ was killed. how do we percieve music festivals now? not too badly it seems, as due to great PR work and damage control, people arent scared to go back year after year
look at some recent news items and give examples of these businesses in your essay.. back up everything you say! csu loves essays with evidence! another story of late- the tara school rape controversy- miranda devine wrote a piece over the reputation of the school etc take a look at it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)