Essayy (1 Viewer)

ja`-/se

HSC
hey, could any one help in how to plan this essay? any ideas on answering the question? :"Music starts with an idea, but it is the development of the idea that sustains interest".

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
As far as music essays go, all I know is that you need to be REALLY, REALLY SPECIFIC - specific composers and specific pieces from those composers, and analyse the hell out of them, sticking to the question of course. Ask your teacher how to structure the essay, though, cos I wouldn't have a clue where to start with that topic...

avalonian

HSC
hopefully not too late

Hey,
realise that this is like a few months too late, but figured ill reply anyway.

I just did that essay yesterday, I'm not sure how I'd really structure it, but I can tell you what pieces work really well with it:
"Powerhouse" by Graeme Koehne and "The Blue Alice" by Matthew Hindsen. Not only do these 2 pieces work perfectly with both topics, but they're cool too. With powerhouse you can take the idea of the rumba rhythm and explain how he creates interest with that, and in the blue alice you can talk about the idea of word painting and also the interval of the third that's used through the whole piece.

hopefully this has been a little helpful, sorry i can't help you with the whole structure thing, I recommend just talking about how one composer takes an idea then develops it, then how the other composer takes an idea and develops it.

HSC
ja`-/se said:
hey, could any one help in how to plan this essay? any ideas on answering the question? :"Music starts with an idea, but it is the development of the idea that sustains interest".
Like this:

Intro: restate the quote, intro your pieces (do two) and intro the concepts your doing (preferably all, tone colour etc).

Body:

Song 1:
example (a) say, wooden ships on Antarctica (Westlake): the theme is stated. Then developed by repeating with 1)changed instrumentation (ie tone colour), (2) dynamics (ie is it louder or softer on the repetitions, (3) pitch (eg different key register.
example (b) say, the ice core movement : now look at some music that does NOT develop material, and argue that it can be just as musically valid and interesting to thru-compose (ie not bring back or develop old material), [this shows higher level thought - your not just dumbly agreeing with the statement, your actually thinking if its true or not]

Song 2 etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)