Essential prelim concepts for HSC (1 Viewer)

Matt2233

HSC
what are the essential preliminary concepts that are required to fully understand the hsc course? I didn't do it in year 11 and theres a slight chance ill be allowed to do it in year 12 :D

Thanks in advanced.

DInfinity

Ad Infinitum
HSC
Hmm, can't really tell you from experience as I've only just started on year 12 biology. But from what I can see from the syllabus-

Some knowledge on the following would be good:
- Structure and functioning of cells (plant and animal)
- Using a light microscope
- Surface Area:Volume ratio <- super important, as almost every lesson discussions eventually included this
- Evolution/adaptations of some Australian species
- Classification (possibly)
- Various systems (e.g. circulatory, excretory, respiratory etc.)
- Life on early earth/geological timescale of earth <- not specifically mentioned in syllabus, but it is likely that there will be some references to it
- Meiosis and mitosis and their phases
- Osmosis

Apparently they removed the reproduction topic, so don't worry about knowing that o.0 I may have missed some, points though.

Matt2233

HSC
Hmm, can't really tell you from experience as I've only just started on year 12 biology. But from what I can see from the syllabus-

Some knowledge on the following would be good:
- Structure and functioning of cells (plant and animal)
- Using a light microscope
- Surface Area:Volume ratio <- super important, as almost every lesson discussions eventually included this
- Evolution/adaptations of some Australian species
- Classification (possibly)
- Various systems (e.g. circulatory, excretory, respiratory etc.)
- Life on early earth/geological timescale of earth <- not specifically mentioned in syllabus, but it is likely that there will be some references to it
- Meiosis and mitosis and their phases
- Osmosis

Apparently they removed the reproduction topic, so don't worry about knowing that o.0 I may have missed some, points though.

Thanks heaps, most of those ive already read up on or have a fairly decent idea of them from junior. Need to learn about meiosis, mitosis and osmosis though...

DInfinity

Ad Infinitum
HSC
If you remember what you did for bio topics up to year 10, then you should be fine skipping the prelim course - I found it was mostly recapping on previous work. The ideas introduced are fairly easy to grasp, so don't worry too much about starting bio in year 12 =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)