Estimated cutoff for commerce/economics (Liberal Studies) (1 Viewer)

sly_skittle

HSC
I was just wondering what people think the UAI cutoff will be for either/both of these courses for 2007- given that commerce (liberal studies) at sydney is over 97 and commerce at UNSW for 2006 is 93
Also does anyone know why the cutoff for economics is always lower than commerce- is there a reason why people favour the latter course so much?

drmix

HSC
N/A
maybeee! because commerce is more boarder? and sounds better! =) just a maybe

CUTE PIC! =D! (avatar)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
sly_skittle said:
I was just wondering what people think the UAI cutoff will be for either/both of these courses for 2007- given that commerce (liberal studies) at sydney is over 97 and commerce at UNSW for 2006 is 93
Also does anyone know why the cutoff for economics is always lower than commerce- is there a reason why people favour the latter course so much?
Well in economics you must do a major in something econ. Whereas commerce allows you to choose a major from a longer list.

Dr mix that's a pretty common av i think, seen it at least 3 times around these forums. Pfft :p

volition

arr.
HSC
My guess for the cutoff: 96

There's not much we can really do to guess it accurately. The only thought that went into my guess was that the UNSW one would be lower than the USYD one just because I think the people who want to do liberal studies tend to be more USYD-type people rather than UNSW people

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
drmix said:
maybe the same person?! :p
No off the top of my head dodgyfilokid and this sly skittles character use it.

PWNED.

Good luck with your e-flirting :wave:

I reckon UNSW Bcomm liberal studies should be about ~96.5 (about one uai point off the usyd cut off)

Capitalist

HSC
Very hard to estimate.

It's supply and demand.

I would guess that if UNSW offers approximately the same number of places as does USYD, the UAI cutoff might be slightly lower as explained earlier.

If UNSW offers more places, you would expect the UAI to be even lower.

That's assuming the demand for the course is similar to that of USYD. Personally, I think demand for this course will be quite high at UNSW, given the popularity of BCom and BSc at UNSW.

sly_skittle

HSC
volition said:
My guess for the cutoff: 96

There's not much we can really do to guess it accurately. The only thought that went into my guess was that the UNSW one would be lower than the USYD one just because I think the people who want to do liberal studies tend to be more USYD-type people rather than UNSW people
oh well- looks like I'll just miss out- and i don't want to do economics cause I wanna major in statistics.
Whats the difference between USYD and UNSW people? I'm guessing UNSW people are less stuck up??

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
unsw have this habit of setting the cut-off by sourcing it from the standard degree. you can see this with the same cut-offs for com, com/arts, com/socsci, com/sci, com/econ...and even sci, sci(biotech)...etc. something tells me the new degrees with the parenthesis will have the same cut-off as the standard degree.

Conspirocy

HSC
not so true the com/sci degree has had varying cutoffs and requires a seperate application ---> the one's you are referring to had the requirement of b com entry and then choosing a program e.g. b com/ec, b com/arts etc

I could end up eating my words, but I dont see this new degree being that popular at unsw. I honestly don't see the differences with what is already being offered at the uni. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to the real difference?

The real interesting thing will be to see what happens to the cutoff for commerce?Will it fall because they have made even more places available - probably. And what about poor economics, I really hope the cutoff rises for eco.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
when was the last time com/sci had a varying cut-off at unsw? its always been in line with straight com.

i think the main thing about these new programs is that they provide a shorter alternative compared to doing com/arts. an extra two years is a pretty long time for what is a fairly useless degree unless you're doing a language.

if we assume the cut-offs are seperate, these courses should attract the people who fall under the category of 'just missed out on getting into com/law' much the way the usyd com (lib) program has done. im talking about the people who get 97-98, so the cut-off will be comparable to the usyd com (lib) cut-off...high 97s. as for econ and econ (lib) - both those cut-offs are going to be quite low.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
when was the last time com/sci had a varying cut-off at unsw? its always been in line with straight com.

i think the main thing about these new programs is that they provide a shorter alternative compared to doing com/arts. an extra two years is a pretty long time for what is a fairly useless degree unless you're doing a language.

if we assume the cut-offs are seperate, these courses should attract the people who fall under the category of 'just missed out on getting into com/law' much the way the usyd com (lib) program has done. im talking about the people who get 97-98, so the cut-off will be comparable to the usyd com (lib) cut-off...high 97s. as for econ and econ (lib) - both those cut-offs are going to be quite low.
Funny that i don't want to do comm/law.

There are SOME people who think arts can be rewarding in many ways if you can use the commerce degree as a solid foundation :rolleyes:

But then again we do find a lot of bludgers in BAs. Commerce liberal studies ftw!

konstantine'

HSC
try emailing unsw to ask how many places they're preparing to offer in 2007. my friend asked them about the new UNSW commerce (international) course and they told her they anticipate the cutoff will be higher than the normal commerce degree because there's only 30 places available

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
konstantine' said:
try emailing unsw to ask how many places they're preparing to offer in 2007. my friend asked them about the new UNSW commerce (international) course and they told her they anticipate the cutoff will be higher than the normal commerce degree because there's only 30 places available
30? Even medicine has more spots than that. Not to mention other high cut off degrees like law, optom etc ...

:confused:

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Conspirocy said:
not so true the com/sci degree has had varying cutoffs and requires a seperate application ---> the one's you are referring to had the requirement of b com entry and then choosing a program e.g. b com/ec, b com/arts etc

I could end up eating my words, but I dont see this new degree being that popular at unsw. I honestly don't see the differences with what is already being offered at the uni. Maybe someone could enlighten me as to the real difference?

The real interesting thing will be to see what happens to the cutoff for commerce?Will it fall because they have made even more places available - probably. And what about poor economics, I really hope the cutoff rises for eco.
Have they increased places for com or eco? Do you have a link to prove this?

Thanks

drmix

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:

from wat i gather...all combined degrees at unsw need the cut off of the higher degree typa thing...so like com/sci com/eco require the com cut off and com/law the law cut off =)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Raginsheep said:
Does this have a compulsory exchange?
Yes there's a mandatory exchange in 3rd I think...perhaps the cutoff will be somewhere around 99..with only 30 places..

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Wow 99 for a single degree commerce course. Who would have thunk it? :D

(Not including say actuarials coop and the like lol)

konstantine'

HSC
Minai said:
Yes there's a mandatory exchange in 3rd I think...perhaps the cutoff will be somewhere around 99..with only 30 places..
think the exchange is 3rd or 4th but yeah with only 30 places ...
keep in mind though it's a new course so not everyone will have heard about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)