Estimating your aligned HSC marks (1 Viewer)

undalay

HSC
Step 1*
Find out your rank for each subject, and total cohort per subject.

E.g.
12/20 2u math
13/75 Adv English
1/5 Physics
etc

Step 2#
Research your schools academic statistics.

Subject: Band6%/Band5%/Band4%
E.g.
2u math : 30/30/20/20/
Adv english: 20/30/40/10/
etc

Step 3
Calculate your percentile within your cohort.
Its a simple rank/cohort.
E.g.
12/20 2u math = top 60%.
Then match this to your schools startistics.
2u math : 30/30/20/20/
Top 60% = Which roughly equals about 80
(This is your Estimate aligned HSC mark)

Step 4
Repeat for each subject and plug it in the SAM for a UAI estimate.

*The greater the amount of assessments completed will lead to a greater accuracy in the prediction of your aligned HSC mark.
Using this method after the first assessment will give a vague indication which may or may not reflect your true ability. The greater the number in the cohort, the accuracy will also increase.

#The cohort of each year will vary in ability, to increase accuracy in your aligned mark a few measures can be taken.
1. Use a variety of years (e.g. 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007) and average them.
2. Ask your subject teacher whether he/she believes your year is stronger/weaker than the last, and increase/decrease a few marks accordingly

What if I can't obtain my schools statistics for each subject?
There are a few things you can do.
1. Use the state band statistics.
2. Find out your schools rank, and use the statistics of school closely ranked to your own (maybe gathered from a friend)
3. Estimate your schools band % (although don't be generous!)

What happens if i'm ranked first/last?
If you're last... well... i dunno. Give yourself a 50 or something.

If you're first it is hard to gauge your aligned HSC mark try these steps.
1. Find out the highest mark in the subject in the previous years. Estimate whether you're better or not then them : P
2. Ask your teacher for an estimation.

Be realistic ! Don't get yourself a 100 Align HSC mark just because you're 1st (unless you truly believe you will get it! Even then give yourself a 99 to be 'humble')

Last edited:

BackCountrySnow

HSC
undalay said:

What if I can't obtain my schools statistics for each subject?
There are a few things you can do.
1. Use the state band statistics.
2. Find out your schools rank, and use the statistics of school closely ranked to your own (maybe gathered from a friend)
3. Estimate your schools band % (although don't be generous!)
What would your school have to be ranked to have state band statistics apply closely to your school?
eg. Roughly 16% of economics students get a band 6. Which schools would get 16% of eco students getting band 6s?

Last edited:

undalay

HSC
Yes that's definitely an option, however this method is much more accurate imo (however only for larger cohorts).

This is similar to the method my career advisor uses for estimate UAIs.

danz90

HSC
me121 said:
Yeah, but step 2 will be a challenge, as this information is not always easily available.
I agree.

But when I've asked teachers for what they believe to be my estimate HSC Mark, they kinda overestimate... they think I'll get quite high, when I don't quite think so..

The way I've looked at determining an estimate HSC Mark for a particular subject is using my assessment schedule for each subject. I estimate the mark for each assessment (out of its weighting); I can get a rough idea because of the nature of the task and the topics it encompasses. Add up your assessment totals, and then take away 2 (for me anyway), because I think I'll go worse in my HSC Exams.

undalay

HSC
danz90 said:
I agree.

But when I've asked teachers for what they believe to be my estimate HSC Mark, they kinda overestimate... they think I'll get quite high, when I don't quite think so..

The way I've looked at determining an estimate HSC Mark for a particular subject is using my assessment schedule for each subject. I estimate the mark for each assessment (out of its weighting); I can get a rough idea because of the nature of the task and the topics it encompasses. Add up your assessment totals, and then take away 2 (for me anyway), because I think I'll go worse in my HSC Exams.
raw assessment marks does not equal your aligned HSC mark.

And i'm sure you can get the info for step 2 if you ask around? Your careers advisor maybe?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
me121 said:
Yeah, but step 2 will be a challenge, as this information is not always easily available.
Also, some schools will have really strong cohorts then really weak ones.
Mine dove around a hundred places from 06 to 07.

Teachers say last year's year 12 were borderline retards though..

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
My school was pretty much the same.
Borderline retards, except there were a couple of really good ones.
Highest mark was 99.85.
And she didn't get into her uni course.
I have to say, if I worked that hard and didn't get where I wanted to go, I'd be a tad upset lol.

But other than that, most were complete spastics.
Then again, so is my grade.
With a few geniuses.

We're alright I guess? lol.

Damn the flu.
Damn it to hell.

lionking1191

HSC
99.85 and didn't get in???

if it's medicine it's got nothing to do with her marks, if it's anything else she must be after those 10k/yr scholarships..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)