Ethanol as a solvent (1 Viewer)

DavidC

As a solvent, ethanol is polar and can therefore dissolve polar substances due to it's hydrogen bond. In the syllabus, it is necessary to explain how ethanol can dissolve non-polar substances as well. If ethanol is polar then how can it dissolve non-polar substances?? :confused: Is it because of dispersion forces?? :apig:

schooly

ethanol (CH3CH2-OH) has the polar hydroxy end (OH) which enables it to dissolve polar substances but it also has the non-polar hydrocarbon end (although only slightly due its short chain) that allows it to dissolve most non-polar substances.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah you answered your own question there :p
hey r u david chan?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Originally posted by DavidC
hey wilson
y did u jig skool today
tsk tsk tsk....
haha only someone as lame as you could say that...ur definitely david chan :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by schooly
ethanol (CH3CH2-OH) has the polar hydroxy end (OH) which enables it to dissolve polar substances but it also has the non-polar hydrocarbon end (although only slightly due its short chain) that allows it to dissolve most non-polar substances.
yep thats it it has a polar hydroxy and non polar ethyl (??) group

Piper_Aviator

have a look at the structural formula for ethanol. On the right hand side the "hydroxy" group is the OH. Because oxygen is more electronegative than carbon or hydrogen is can dissolve polar substances, hence it being the polar end. Now take a look on the left hand side, this has no oxygen, just carbon and hydrogen. It is NON POLAR and hence can dissolve non polar substances too. Therefore that is why ethanol is a good solvent. It can dissolve polar and non polar substances.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yar, as the others said, the OH end dissolves polar stuff, and the CH3 end dissolves non polar stuff...but if they make you say if it is one or the other it is more polar than it is non-polar and therefore is classed as a polar substance.

JuLiAaHHH

wat bout dispersion forces? doesnt that make it a slightly polar substance at times? i duno i onli do yr 11 chem...

DavidC

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
yar, as the others said, the OH end dissolves polar stuff, and the CH3 end dissolves non polar stuff...but if they make you say if it is one or the other it is more polar than it is non-polar and therefore is classed as a polar substance.

Yeh that's what i thought... that the non-polar part of ethanol is insignificant because it's hydrocarbon chain is short so therefore ethanol is considered a polar substance.
well i was confused.
so is it true that the non-polar part of ethanol has an effect too?

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
just remember... like dissolves like, Ethanol is both polar AND non polar... like soap... ;) you gotta love industrial chem... makes everything else so much more easier :p

DillBo

Go u nerds !!
I like this site. Helpful and humourous. Nerds fighting lol!
I wish i could be smarter in Chem, i'm trying but as the saying goes "Too little too late".
Thanks for clearing up the ethanol issue..i too had the same question as mysterious Dave.

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
lol i like chemistry because it's relevant and practical. And as long as you understand the concepts, the course isn't that hard. Easy to get good marks :D

Dangar

What is ethanol used for? Cos we have to know some uses and all i can find is that its used in cosmetics and perfumes. Does anyone have any info that's more specific?

DillBo

yeah it's a solvent in cosmetics and stuff..but's it's also a source of Ethene...Straight from the text book....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)